Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

No Pipex Email Access at All This Afternon

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi.  I started a similar topic on this yesterday, although that was really just remarking on slowness to load and several email errors on POP.  Was working OK (-ish) this morning.  However, this afternoon I'm getting repeated timeouts and interrupted connection error messages...and no emails in POP.  And now Webmail (both via Windows 10 and Android) has repeated log-in failures.  I just managed to get access via Windows, and the only traffic there was for a message From just after 2200 last night...and that was what looks like a Bitcoin spoof extortion in some sort of oriental script!).

Yet ANOTHER weekend without any sort of a reliable email service.  Pipex email is broken, end of!

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

I've been out most of the day, was ok this morning about 0800hrs, but on returning home at 1500hrs was very slow, still got them though.

Now, at 1715hrs nothing, constant errors.

Last night it appeared to clear up 1hrs after my post, and yes seeing the same oriental messages over last few days.

Good job I don't have to rely on this mail service for any serious work!

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Same here complete with the oriental extortion email. They seem to be the only ones that get through!!!

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Server timeouts all afternoon and evening - driving me mad. And yes I got a bitcoin extortion email in an unintelligible script too.

SoozySoo
Highlighted
Enlightened One

I didnt get around today to checking my emails until this evening and its been dreadful. Several attempts before I got a successful connection to any of my 3 email addresses and then it was only one of them. Seems worse than the 'normal' weekend slowdown that we experience all too often, but then that could just be down to it being a bank holiday!

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
Highlighted
Enlightened One

Just after midnight I managed to connect to all 3 of my Pipex email addresses at the same attempt, and quite speedily too. My reward for my perseverance was 2 dodgy bitcoin messages!

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Not sure what time things started to improve last night because I went to sleep, but around 0300hrs (don't ask) was getting messages ok.

This morning back to errors, that was about 0700hrs, now though all fine again at 0820hrs.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Good morning. It appears (thus far!) that Webmail is OK. I have also successfully downloaded emails to my Outlook Inbox, without delay or error messages.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Was a bit glitchy this morning getting the error come up every now and then, through the day slow but no errors, now at 1915hrs it's very fast to check and get messages.

In fact it's surprising just how different, the Mail client has hardly opened and it's checked and closed the connection before I can blink, if mail is on the server it's in my inbox just as quickly, just wished it could be like this all the time.

Super Duper Contributor

Yep.  Same here.  Faster than a fast thing!  Fingers crossed that whatever it was has been sorted.  

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Still fast this morning (0700hrs) so something has definitely changed from late yesterday, it's as though the "traffic works" has suddenly been removed off a motorway and you can get back up to normal speeds!

Don't suppose we will get to know why this up and down continues, other than these DDoS attacks, what I don't understand though is how come it's always just the POP server and never the SMTP. You would think if it was due to incoming DDoS then the "Incoming Server" ie SMTP would be the one under stress, after all isn't the POP server just providing the service to Pipex customers of which we are relatedly small in number.

Probably don't fully understand how the system works but could some of the reason be due to SMTP Server(s) also forming part of the IMAP process and as such it's equipment isn't as antiquated as that for the POP side.