cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not Receiving Onetel Emails

9 REPLIES 9
Popular Poster

I have not received any of my Onetel emails since 18/04/20.  

When I try to log onto the webmail client I get the error "Mail server closed connection unexpectedly" - is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Thanks

sonia keith
Community Star

Hi @captainkeith 

I've not responded earlier because I don't have a onetel login to check the mail server login access either via webmail or via an email client like Outlook 2016.

I can see the mail servers are up and running. I can see they reply to my response test. I cannot tell from that if the mail servers are authenticating individual logins. So, I was waiting for other onetel users to reply to you.

If the mail server detects multiple logins to your onetel mailbox from different locations or if there are too many attempted logins in total to the servers then the server will close the connection.

To see if this is just an issue with Outlook 2016, try to see if you can access your mailbox using the mailzone login using an Internet browser: https://mailzone.onetel.net.uk/login.php

If the issue persists then we can ask for a fault ticket to be raised and or for security ask that the password is changed.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Popular Poster

Hi Gondola

I can log in using https://mailzone.onetel.net.uk/login.php but I can't see any emails and I get the message "Mail Server closed the connection unexpectedly" and I also see an email address that is logging into my account, I don't recognise this email address so I suspect my email address has been hacked. 

I have set a security question along with an alternative email address to receive a new password.  I'd be grateful if you could raise a ticket on my behalf because I have received no emails since Saturday 18th.

Thanks

sonia keith
Community Star

Hi captainkeith 

I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you as you'll need their help to authorise the OneTel password reset and new password creation.  They'll need to verify your registration of the email address.

Please double check and update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the OneTel email address and Save changes.

A TalkTalk Team member suffixed as TT Staff will send you a Community Private Message requesting personal data to verify you as the registered user (your email registration details). Your avatar top right of the page when signed in will have an envelope icon for Private Messages when these are enabled.

When your personal data has been verified, the password will be changed and one of the TalkTalk team will call on your mobile to check security with you, let you know the password  and check it works. A computer generated password is not likely to be memorable so write it down carefully and store in a secure place.

Popular Poster

Hi Gondola

Thanks, I've updated my profile.  Do you know the lead time on getting a response from Talk Talk member?

Do you think the issues Im having are due to my account being hacked and will changing the password resolve it?

Thanks

sonia keith
Community Star

Hi captainkeith 

Multiple logins from different IP addreses (locations) is one reason why the server would close the connection.  If the login has been compromised then a password change would secure the onetel mailbox and lock out any unauthorised logins.

As for lead time for TalkTalk response. I have marked this as a potential security issue. But I'm only too aware that we haven't had the regular TalkTalk support for email and webmail for over 3 weeks now.

The UK support team that we can normally rely on for support during weekday office hours has been redeployed to help vulnerable and key workers remain connected to broadband and phone services. That team is now working 7 days a week from early morning to late evening.

I have no visibility of TalkTalk team workflow, or present priorities but I have asked for some help here and help has randomly started to arrive.

Popular Poster

Hi @Gondola 

Its now day 3 without any emails, and I can see that an email that I don't recognise is connecting to my mailbox! Are you able to escalate this for me please because I haven't had any response from a member of staff.

Thanks

sonia keith
Community Star

Hi captainkeith 

Escalated as a security issue on Monday following your alert on Sunday.

Community Manager - TT Staff

Hey Captainkeith, 

Sorry for the delayed reply i have sent you a private message to gather some more info so we can help with this. 

Thanks

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Popular Poster

Thanks @StephenF I have just sent you a private message with the details you've asked for.  I hope you can resolve this for me.

sonia keith