Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not receiving a particular email from a particular sender

30 REPLIES 30
raynerph
Team Player

I regularly send messages to and from my home email address and work email address and with one exception all of these messages get through without any problem.

However, there is particular email that I never receive when I forward it from my work email address to my home email address.  This is an email from the UK government's Health and Safety Executive. (The HSE's email contains bit.ly links, these links are blocked by the IT system where I work, and so by sending the email to my home address I can follow the hyperlinks in the email.)

By testing with a different email address I have established that my work email is sending out this email, but for some reason this particular email never arrives if I send it to my TalkTalk email address.  It isn't in the SPAM folder.  (The email goes missing if I send it to my two talktalk.net email addresses and also goes missing if sent to a tiscali.co.uk email address.)

It's not a huge problem because I have a workaround, however if one genuine message isn't arriving in my TalkTalk inbox... then how many other emails are being lost without my knowledge?

In trying to solve this myself I've looked at the help pages relating to SPAM filtering but I don't think that SPAM filtering is my problem.  Any guidance will be gratefully received, thanks.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @raynerph 

The pragmatic solution is the one you already have which is to use the alternate email service to receive these emails.

A couple of tips to see if we can identify why the email is apparently blocked.  It could well be the 'disguised' short links.  Many email systems, just like your work IT Dept, don't like the short links because they can hide malware.

When emails aren't delivered to their destination there is usually a bounceback error message to say why.  Your IT department will hopefully have implemented a DMARC policy to report the failure.  Ask them for the error message and code in respect of these HSE emails. 

Second tip is to take one of the HSE emails and change the short links to the direct website links.  Just for one email and just to see if the email system passes that forwarded email through to your mailbox.

AND / OR

Send an email containing one of the links copied and pasted into the body of your email and see if that gets through or is bounced or silently dropped.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

raynerph
Team Player

@Gondola  many thanks for your prompt reply and thoughts. 

I don't get any delivery failure reports at work, the messages just go missing.  I've tried a few more tests...

1) I forwarded the forwarded message received by an alternative email service to my TalkTalk address.  The forwarded forwarded message simply vanishes with no delivery failure report, but it does arrive at another non-TalkTalk email address.

2) I have tried sending one of the lines of text with the bit.ly link in it and that gets through to my TalkTalk address without an issue.

So these two tests mean that we can rule out a couple of things.  This issue isn't a combination of the email and the sender, it also isn't just because of the bit.ly links.  It points to something about the email's content that is causing an issue, and something in the content that remains an issue when it is forwarded from Outlook or forwarded from Thunderbird.

If anyone has registered with the HSE to receive the newsletter direct to their TalkTalk email address then I guess that they will never receive the emails and never know they are not receiving them?  Given the number of people using TalkTalk email I'm guessing that there are people affected by this without knowing it.

My ongoing concern is that messages from other senders might also be going missing and I will never know what messages haven't arrived and the senders won't know when messages haven't been delivered!

If TalkTalk IT Support would like to take a closer look then I'm happy to forward on an example of the problem HSE email - although ironically I would need to send it to a non-TalkTalk email address, alternatively I could upload it to Onedrive location for analysis.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi raynerph 

It is looking more like the HSE emails are being dropped as spam. If several recipients have marked the emails as spam instead of unsubscribing (it happens) then a fingerprint signature will inevitably identify more similar looking emails.

I'll alert the TalkTalk team and they'll let you know how to get the HSE email to them.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi raynerph, please add the affected email address to rpivate notes in your profile and I'll take a look at this for you. 

raynerph
Team Player

Thanks for the offer of help.

I have added affected the email addresses to Private Notes.

I have also provided a link to a OneDrive location where I have saved two example messages, one in Outlook format and one in Thunderbird format.  I've also embedded the same messages into a Word document. 

Hopefully you can drag the messages to your own email software and try forwarding them to a TalkTalk email address and then watch the messages disappear as if by magic!

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of the vanishing emails.  Thanks.

Community Team

As your mailbox has migrated I'm not able to do any testing with it. I've raised a fault ticket for you. It'll take a few days before it's at the top of the email admins queue. 

raynerph
Team Player

Thanks for the update. 

Community Team

You're welcome.

raynerph
Team Player

Today I forwarded this week's HSE email from my work email to my TalkTalk email address and it arrived!

So I sent again one of the messages that had previously gone missing, and this also arrived.

Has something been changed to enable the messages to reach my TalkTalk email address?

Community Team

Hi raynerph,

I'm glad to hear this is working again. It does look as though something has been changed but I can't confirm this. OCE_Ady should be back tomorrow so if you bump the the thread then he may be able help

Chris

raynerph
Team Player

Despite my earlier belief that this problem had been fixed, I discovered that when I forwarded on this week's HSE email from my work email address to my TalkTalk email address that yet again it just disappeared.  As before it was delivered without issue to an alternative email service.

Out of interest I resent an older HSE email that previously had been an issue and this got to my TalkTalk email address without a problem.

Something must have changed in the TalkTalk system to let the older email through, but whatever filter or setting was tweaked it wasn't successful to allow this week's email to get through.  Are you able to explain what has been changed?

Thank you for the phone calls to check that the problem had been resolved, and please accept my apologies for not being available to answer the call and thanks for leaving a recorded message.

In order to try and help you solve this problem I have uploaded copies (in two different file formats) of the latest problem message to the OneDrive location detailed in Private Notes.  Are the files in the OneDrive of use to you - you haven't said anything about them in previous messages.

I remain very concerned that if these HSE messages are vanishing into the TalkTalk email system then how many other emails might be vanishing into the system, affecting myself and countless other customers...?

Thanks again for looking into this issue and thanks in advance for your continued support.

Community Team

I've sent a chaser to the team to chase the Email Admins for you. I'll post back once I get a reply for you. 

raynerph
Team Player

Today I received this week's HSE email to my work email address.   Again I have forwarded it from my work email address to my TalkTalk email address and yet again it has just disappeared.  As before it was delivered without issue to an alternative email service.

In order to try and help you solve this problem I have uploaded copies (in two different file formats) of the latest problem message to the OneDrive location detailed in Private Notes.  Are the files in the OneDrive of use to you - you haven't said anything about them in previous messages.

I remain very concerned that if these HSE messages are vanishing into the TalkTalk email system then how many other emails might be vanishing into the system, affecting myself and countless other customers...?

Is there anything more that I can do to help your investigation?

Thanks again for looking into this issue and thanks in advance for your continued support.

Community Team

Hi raynerph,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems, OCE_ Ady will give you an update when he has any further information

Thanks

Chris

raynerph
Team Player

I apologise for not adding to the thread for the last few weeks.

This frustrating issue continues.  The HSE email of the 16th May was not delivered when I forwarded it from my work email to my TalkTalk address (but it was delivered to a different address), whereas the HSE email of the 23rd May was delivered to the TalkTalk address.

Has something changed in the TalkTalk email system to allow the latest email to arrive, or is the arrival of the latest email due to the content of the email?  (I have added the latest two emails to the OneDrive location.)

Until this problem is understood and resolved I remain very concerned about other incoming emails that may just be vanishing within the TalkTalk email system.

Has there been any progress with this investigation at TalkTalk?

Thanks again.

Community Team

I'm sorry that this still hasn't been resolved. I've sent a last chaser to the team to get us updates after that I'll escalate it for you. 

raynerph
Team Player

Thanks for continuing to follow this thread.

Last week (30/05/19) I forwarded the HSE email from my work email, and it didn't arrive in my TalkTalk inbox, but it did arrive in my non TalkTalk inbox.

Whatever the issue is, it clearly isn't solved yet. 

As I've already uploaded previous examples to the OneDrive location, I've not uploaded the latest example, but I can do so if it will be of use to the investigation into issue - just let me know.

Community Team

No it's not fixed. A colleague closed the fault ticket when they weren't able to get in touch with you. They wouldn't have been able to help you fix it even if they'd managed to make contact so I'm not sure why the call was made or why the ticket was closed. I've had to raise a new ticket for you. I'm really sorry for the delay in getting this sorted. 

raynerph
Team Player

Thanks for checking, yes some confusion has crept in.  I got voice mail messages left on both my landline and mobile, my memory is that the messages explained that if I didn't respond within 7 days then the ticket would be closed.  I'm fairly sure that I responded to this thread in the forum within those 7 days and so I assumed that kept the ticket would remain open.  But the ticket that you raised is obviously a different system to this forum.  If the people managing the tickets are not aware of the activity in this forum then I can understand why the ticket was closed.

So, if I get another phone call asking about closing a ticket then I know that I need to respond to the phone call rather than just posting to the forum.  I'd guess that I'm not the first person to make this mistake.

On the positive side, there are now more examples of problem emails for the technical experts to take a look at and so it might now be easier for them to figure out the answer to the issue(s).