cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not receiving all emails - error message SMTP error

8 REPLIES 8
Chatterbox

Someone has sent me two emails that I've not received.  I did receive a third email so I have no idea why the other two failed.  They are not in my Spam or Trash.  The sender sent me the error message which is hideously long but it does say "SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT".  I have no idea what this means or what to do, so I'd appreciate some help.  Please explain in simple terms!

Community Star

Hi @Liesl 

The normal issue is a rejection of the mail message by the receiving server. But that rejection could be for a number of reasons.

I'd appreciate sight of the full error message as that will have error codes to indicate what the fault is.

If the email address or addresses are included in the error message then just obscure the first part of those addresses before posting here. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Chatterbox

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Error message attached.

Community Star

Hi Liesl 

The error indicates a failure to accept the incoming mail

• a wrong email address
    either the mail address being used in either the To: or CC: fields
  • a mailbox being locked, either permanently or during maintenance
  • the mailbox being full or near to full

Out of those you'll have a better idea as you can see the email addresses and see the mailbox quota (amount used and total amount available)

And you'll know if the mailbox is sending and receiving ok.

Chatterbox

I do appreciate your response but unfortunately I still can't see the answer to the issue.  My mailbox is nowhere near full, and today I've received emails from the person who's emails were not coming in before.  Since yesterday there have been a few problems with my password when signing in to my mail.  I think the system is cracking up.  But many thanks for your help, you are a star.

Community Star

Hi Liesl 

Ah, what sort of password problems?

If the system detects suspicious activity like a sign in from different geographic locations it can lock the mailbox for security and that will mean your mailbox is unavailable temporarily.

It might be wise to change and upgrade your mailbox password. A new ultra-strong and unique password to make sure only you have control of your mailbox.

What do you think? Is that a strategic plan?

Do you need help to change the password? 

When you do sign in via Webmail you have the ability to set up Reset details for a self-help password change.  Update your reset details is an option on the main menu.

Menu options - Update your reset details

Chatterbox

I've updated the reset details, but can't see how to change the passwork on my email account so yes please, I'd like some help on that.

Community Star

Hi Liesl 

Password Reset details have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive a password reset. Please use the Forgotten your Password? journey.

The alternates shown (Options 2 and 3) you'll recognise from the hints so just select one to reset the password. Pick up the 6 digit code from your mobile or the link from your alternate email  and follow the instructions.

Chatterbox

Done.  Many thanks.  Hope I don't need to bother you again soon.