Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

OUTLOOK PASSWORD PROBLEMS

12 REPLIES 12
MISCHKASMUM1
Participant

Some time ago, I had major problems trying to obtain a new password for my Outlook account and, after jumping through I don't know how many hoops for hours on end with TalkTalk, some kind person on here got me sorted in minutes!

The problem is, I have just changed over to a new PC and, before I deleted all my personal details, forgot to get a note of my password for my Talktalk email address, which I've had for years. To say this is causing major upsets would be an understatement!

So, if anyone can assist, it would be very, very much appreciated. I posted my last problem under the heading "CAN'T SEND/RECEIVE EMAILS FROM TALKTALK.NET ACCOUNT (OUTLOOK)".

fr8ys
Community Star
Do you still have your old PC?
If so, and you are using Chrome or Firefox (I don't know if it will work with Edge), sign into the website using your Google account or create a firefox account..
This will then sync your bookmarks and passwords to other devices you sign into, and you should then be able to access these on your new PC by again signing into the browser.
Alternatively, as it sounds like your browser has stored passwords, you can access your passwords via settings. You may have to hunt under security for them, but they should be there. I'm not on my PC at the moment so can't provide the full paths for you.
Hope this helps
Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
MISCHKASMUM1
Participant

Hi, I actually replied via an email I received:

Thank you for your prompt response.

Hi, it's the password for setting up my Outlook email account, i.e. not my personal password.

I still have my old PC but all personal stuff was deleted because I'm passing it on to a friend.

Regards

fr8ys
Community Star

If you use this link then enter your email address, on the next page where you enter your password there is a forgotten password link.

This should tell you how to reset it.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
MISCHKASMUM1
Participant

Thanks for your response.

That link takes me directly to my new Outlook account. I'm trying to access my old one.

fr8ys
Community Star
That's because you are signed in to your new one.
sign out and then input your old email address, or use a different browser, one for each account.
MISCHKASMUM1
Participant

Hi, thanks for being so patient.

I'm having a right old time of it with this Microsoft and I can tell you the air is a dense shade of blue right now!! I decided just remove the email account and start again, but because it's connected to Microsoft, have to change the user account type to standard. You'd think it'd be that easy but NO! To change to a Standard account I have to set up another account as administrator, since I have the only account - which makes sense to me since I am the only user! Fine as far is it goes, but to change accounts, I've to jump through yet another set of hoops and back up data that's hardly there. I can't even USE the email account yet because I can't get it activated as Microsoft want me to buy, try or activate with this account. Tried that yesterday and lo and behold, yet ANOTHER set of hoops!

Anyway, I'm counting to one thousand very slowly and determined to get my old email account up and running supposing I've got to wipe stuff I've already added. And Microsoft can get stuffed. I ain't playing the stupid games I've managed to avoid for the last 20 years!

Sorry to be so long-winded. Just wanted to let you know that I'm not a TOTAL duffer. When I - hopefully - get everything sorted, I'll try your link again, keeping my fingies well and truly crossed!!

Thanks again. All the assistance is very much appreciated.

weaver
Team Player
Hmm, I don't know what type of account you have with Microsoft - but my basic account doesn't allow me to have multiple addresses. You could try logging out of your "new" account and then logging back in on your "old" one - however, I would suggest trying to follow the link on a different device. Worst case scenario, if you didn't have an Office 365 or other ongoing paid subscription on your old account, and if you didn't have the foresight to add a recovery email address or recovery phone number to that Microsoft account before you forgot its password, you might have to give up on it.
MISCHKASMUM1
Participant

All those years back I didn't HAVE a Microsoft account - and have avoided them like the plague since. When I set up my original email account, it was with Outlook Express and I actually received the password in my welcome pack from TalkTalk. Next time I had access issues, I spoke to someone at TalkTalk who actually understood what I was talking about and HE issued me with yet another password. All fine until, for some reason I was again locked out of my email account. I jumped through hoops for hours on Chat, voice etc, then some kind soul on here eventually got me sorted. Turned out I didn't have to jump through all those hoops after all. This time it was solely my fault. I was at the end of deleting all my personal info from my old PC when I realised I hadn't taken a note of my account password.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @MISCHKASMUM1 

If you're talking about a TalkTalk Mail password and your mail account has been upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform then I'm hoping you followed the advice to create Reset details.

Password Reset details may have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive the reset. Please do try the Reset your Password (Click here) option. If there's an alternate shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please reset the password.

Or if you're a TalkTalk broadband customer or recent customer you can change your email password in MyAccount > My Services > Manage TalkTalk Mail, if the email is listed in one of the 5 email address slots. 

If the self-help password change / recovery options aren't effective then I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the email address to Private notes and Save changes.

Gondola - Offline : No posts or PM's

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

MT350
First Timer

Hi Gondola,

I've just read your message of 21/07/19.

Does this mean that if I change my password to access my Talktalk emails in Talktalk Webmail that I have to change to that password if I want to access my TalkTalk emails in Outlook?

I have Outlook on my Windows PC

When I use Outlook a pop up box appears from time to time, it asks for username and a password, I usually ignore that pop up box and things usually work fine. The pop up box  is prepopulated with:

Server - pop.talktalk.net,

User Name - my talktalk email address is shown here,

Password - a number of "x"s is shown here

Outlook on my PC recently stopped working so I went to TalkTalk webmail to keep up to date with my emails. In the process of logging on to webmail I had to reset my password. 

Now, Outlook opens but keeps showing the pop up box and will not update my inbox etc.

Is this looking for an updated password? OR do I have to get a new password from somewhere else?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi MT350 

Your TalkTalk Mailbox has an email address and an associated password. Same password however you access the mailbox.

You may sign in to the mailbox at TalkTalk Mail using an Internet browser or sign in using an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird or an email app on a mobile device.

All use, and require, the same sign in using your full email address and the password.  If you do change the mailbox password then any saved logins in the Internet browser or in the email clients or apps will need to be updated with the new password.

Gondola - Offline : No posts or PM's

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi MT350,

I can see that Gondola has answered your question, if you do need any further assistance please start your own thread and we'll be happy to help 🙂

Chris