Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Onetel E-Mail Address on TalkTalk. Unable to send messages or reply to messages

7 REPLIES 7
Popular Poster

My mother has had this problem before. 

She has a desktop computer and an Ipad. 

She has an 'old' Onetel E-mail address and they were taken over by TalkTalk.

She can receive messages on her ipad, but she cannot reply to them or send new ones. 

I have tried the settings on the TalkTalk website but keep getting error messages such as invalid Username and password, when we know that they are correct. 

Anyone have any ideas of the correct working SMTP settings for outgoing Onetel E-mail?

I have tried: smtp.talktalk.net port 587 and smtp.onetel.com on port 25. 

Any ideas? It's annoying! 

Has anyone got a 'working' Onetel Mail account on TalkTalk? If so, could you have a look at the Outgoing (SMTP) mail settings and post them please? I just need the Port number and server details. 

Thanks

Chatterbox
One tell outgoing mail server is smtp.onetel.com using port 25 - note that sending on this smtp server will work only on a TalkTalk network connection (I haven’t tried the TalkTalk smtp server alternatives)
Dave V
Popular Poster

Thank you Dave. I'll give it a try

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi ComputerHelp, did you manage to get sorted?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Popular Poster

Hi, 

No, this issue has not been sorted out. 
My mum, who is elderly can receive e-mails, but she cannot send them. 
She has an old Onetel e-mail address and the smtp settings do not work.
Can you help?
Thanks
Chatterbox

Is your Mum connecting to the internet using her (or someone esle’s) TalkTalk network? It is really key to sorting this issue.

Note that it is possible to receive Onetel Emails on any network but sending (using Onetel smtp) must be done on a TalkTalk network.

David V

Enlightened One

Looks like DavidV is spot on with his advice. The esteemed Gondola in a previous thread put it thus:-

"The onetel mail server is a legacy server still using unencrypted settings. i.e. no SSL/TLS, insecure ports and no authentication. The mail client will receive mail but send mail only when connected to and authenticated by the talktalk broadband connection. In this regard, you should be able to both send and receive mail via the talktalk broadband connection but not via a mobile network connection."

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi ComputerHelp, David V is on the money here please let us know how you get on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.