Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Onetel emails on Gmail

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Participant

I have Gmail set up to pull in all Onetel emails because I don't want to use Mailzone every time I send an email. When the Onetel email was down last week, Gmail showed an error and Onetel emails didn't get pulled into Gmail anymore. Now Onetel is up and working again, Gmail can't access it. I have deleted the Onetel email from Gmail and started again. It doesn't work. Here is the error message I'm getting:

Server returned error: "Connection timed out: There may be a problem with the settings you added. Please contact your other email provider to verify the correct server name and port."

Yes, I have checked that I have entered the correct port and password. My login to Mailzone works fine. I really want to get Onetel working with Gmail again to be able to sync emails across all my devices and send emails from one platform.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Katrin

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes. I have the same setup and there is currently an issue with the servers. I raised this with TalkTalk at the weekend and they have now given a new service update on their website and twitter stating they are investigating this issue. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi katrin

What settings are you using for onetel in the gmail app?

• IMAP or POP3?
  • incoming and outgoing server names
  • incoming and outgoing port numbers

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Participant

I'm not using the gmail app. I'm using the feature in gmail where you can pull in email from other addresses. I have set it to POP. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi katrin

Gmail may not be communicating in the expected way with the Onetel server. Either the server name or port settings or commands are not as expected. Bear in mind that the Onetel email is not a secure service and for security may only be accessible from the TalkTalk network. Let us know if you're accessing from outside the UK.

The service status dashboard is reporting issues that are being worked on: Service Status. Just click on the email icon and if that's amber or red a pop-up page will appear giving details. It's probably best to hang on until that is cleared.

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team of OCE's as a precaution in case you need direct assistance.

You may have already done this bit but ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the email address in Private Notes and save changes. The Community support OCE's will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account if you're a current customer. If more proof of ownership of the Onetel account is needed you'll be advised.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Katrin, are you in UK? If not I'm told you'll have to use Mailzone to access your email as mail clients won't be able to access our servers to collect mail now.

Highlighted
Participant

Yes, I'm in  the UK. So, I'll have to finally give up using Onetel after so many years. Makes me wonder if TalkTalk wants to close the service and, by making it so difficult to use, is getting us to give up.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi katrin, having spent an awful lot of money on a brand new email platform to support all our domains nothing could be further from the truth. All our customers are valued. 

Thanks for confirming you're in the UK and still unable to send and receive using a mail client. I've raised this with the incident team and will post back to let you know what they have to say. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

What are the plans for the onetel service on this new platform? How are old and new customers going to migrate? Will it be a new encrypted onetel service? Have TalkTalk explained this anywhere on their website?

Highlighted
Community Team

All the details will be mailed to you in the near future and there'll be help articles to support you on the new platform. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Just tried this approach on an iPad and my iPhone. Use IMAP as the protocol then use mail.onetel.com and smtp.talktalk.net. SSL encryption will be checked and will fail on the first attempt, on the second attempt choose no for SSL. Voila, you should start receiving your onetel emails on an apple platform. Looks like GMail will not be supported anymore.

Highlighted
Community Team

That's consistent with what I've been advised. 

Highlighted
Participant

I have tried adding the onetel address to gmail again this morning and it is working. Fingers crossed nothing gets changed again.

Highlighted
Community Team

That's great news. Thanks for posting back to let us know. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Progress! My GMail link to OneTel servers have also started working. I managed to setup/update the server for incoming emails but outgoing server didn't work which i'm not too bothered about.

Highlighted
Community Team

Great stuff, thanks for posting back. 

Highlighted
Chatterbox
I am having the same problem as reported here. Can someone help me resolve this?
Thank you Mark
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
These problems have now been resolved for most users. I can now acccess my OneTel email through GMail and on my iPhone. See my post above for Apple devices. For GMail, just setup your account again and it should work.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi mograguel, let us know if 786saleem's post has helped you. 

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Hello - My email is working now as it was before. I did not delete my onetel.com account from gmail, but I altered the settings and that seemed to cause a refresh. so all ok now. Thank you 🙂
Thank you Mark