Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Onetel mailzone ‘Mail server closed connection unexpectedly ‘

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Since yesterday morning I am unable to access or download onetel emails to mail app on iPad, it says something wrong in settings (which I haven’t changed).  When I try logging in directly via webmail I get a message saying mail server closed connection unexpectedly.. any idea what’s going on and when it will be fiixed ? 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Jaynehr

There isn't a general fault as far as I'm aware but the fact that you get bumped out of your email account whether using a client or webmail does indicate there's a mailbox corruption issue.

I assume you're not simultaneously using multiple devices configured differently?  Here's the settings for you to check.

Onetel Account Type  IMAP (recommended) POP3
Login / Username username@onetel.com username@onetel.com
Incoming mail server mail.onetel.com pop.onetel.com
Incoming Port 143 110
Outgoing mail server smtp.onetel.com smtp.onetel.com
Outgoing Port 25 25
Outgoing SSL No No
Outgoing Authentication No No

Are you a TalkTalk broadband customer with the Onetel email listed in your MyAccount?

If not, there's some email ownership checking to go through so just double check that you've added to your Community Profile, Personal Information (Click here) all of the following in the Private Notes area at the bottom of the page:

Email address affected.

Your Full Name.

Date of Birth.

Phone number linked to the email address (when you were a former Onetel customer).

Full postal address that the email was linked to when first registered.

Include your mobile contact number and times to call - daytimes when you'll be there in person to speak to the email team if they need to contact you. Don't forget to save changes.

The personal information verifies the details on record for the service account that the email was originally linked to.

This topic has been escalated for the attention of the OCE's (TalkTalk Community support team) and the email expert will respond to you from Monday onwards, right here, to help you with account recovery.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks, appreciate the reply. Have checked settings and all as expected, so have updated profile as suggested. Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jaynehr, is this still happening? 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes, not worked since last Thursday morning

Highlighted

I've raised the fault ticket for you. Onetel Mailboxes have to go to the Email Admins for password reset. This means it can take up to 72 hours for the password to be reset. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Popular Poster

Oh, but it’s not telling me it’s a password problem,it’s logging in (I assume) then closing the connection to the server ? 

Highlighted

It's entirely possible that the reset will work. But that said there have been reports of login issues. Most have confirmed that it's working normally now. Are you still having problems today?

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Same behaviour on mail app on iPad, which basically just says an error and check my settings. When I check via webmail it now says there’s a problem with userid or password i.e. it’s no longer saying the connection to the server has been shut unexpectedly. So something has changed. I presume the password reset form /link will come to the email address provided with my forum userid (for obvious reasons :-)).

Highlighted

You're right. Keep an eye on your mobile for a call from my colleague this afternoon. It seems the passwords have been reset much quicker than normal. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi, didn’t get a call but then checked and realised I had a digit wrong, I have now corrected this on my profile. Could you let them know please, if they were trying previously they’d not have got me, sorry !

Highlighted

I've passed over the correct number for you. I'm waiting for confirmation that you'll get a call today and when I've had it I'll post back to let you know. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks, I’m afraid they just tried while I was away from phone. He didn’t leave a number, but asked I let you know a good time to call. I’m free until 11am but then busy on calls for work until 2:30. Then free from 2:30 up to 7pm. Thanks.

Highlighted

Thanks. I've let them know. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

i had had a call at about 10:30 and spoke to a member of the password team, Ishmael I think. It didn’t resolve the issue and he has passed the issue to back office to investigate further, he thinks they will respond Friday pm, however I have had another call and message at  15:54 from Kalinum( I think)  but was on another line so wasn’t able to speak to him. I think he is from the password reset team and may be unaware his colleague had already called ? However if he was aware and had further feedback from the back office team I should be ok to take another call this afternoon. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Oh, good news, seems the back room folk have done something, it’s leapt into life again and I’m receiving mails and not getting the server closed message, so looks like I’m back in business. Many thanks to you and them. 

Highlighted

You're welcome. That's great. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have a mailzone problem when trying to access via My Mail App on my Ipad. I can only see emails received up to 5th March 2018. I can access via webmail, so it is almost as though Mailzone is blocking access to the Ipad mail app for mails received after 5th March. Any ideas please.

Regards

Chris 

Highlighted

Hi Chris, are all your devices collecting using IMAP? Are they all set to leave a copy on the server?

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Andy
I’m not sure if it uses Imap or not. I just gave it my username and password and it started working and has worked beautifully for a couple of years until now and it only shows emails up until 5th March, so something has changed. I wrote to the My mail app company and they have just replied and said “Please contact the support team of your domain and ask them to unblock the addresses from the network 185.30.176.0/22.” Will this help? Chris