would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Ontel email account hacked!

19 REPLIES 19
harveywilliams
Popular Poster

Hi,

I've not used my onetel account in years, but seem to have kept it as a backup for a few online accounts. Now it looks like it's been hacked, and  I need to either deactivate it completely, or change the password. I can't seem to connect it to my other email address in the "manage email" section of my account, I just get an error message stating "The email address entered does not have a TalkTalk domain. Please try again."

However, I have read previous messages from people with the same problem, so have updated the private notes in my community profile details, and hope to hear from you soon.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @harveywilliams 

Manage TalkTalk Mail accounts, for TalkTalk customers, via MyAccount.

Sign in to MyAccount, select My Services and Manage TalkTalk Mail from the drop-down list and you'll see the list of (nominally up to 5) email mailboxes associated with a TalkTalk Broadband package.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount.png

Select Add an existing mailbox - a TalkTalk managed email address - to add the email address to MyAccount so long as there's a spare slot (i.e. you don't already have 5 email addresses listed) and you know the full email address and its password and so long as that email address isn't already listed in association with another current or former MyAccount.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - Add an existing mailbox.png

In the Email address box just enter the local part of your onetel email address up to but not including the @ symbol. In the above image the drop-down box shows the homecall domain just as an example. For your onetel email address you'll select the correct one of the following:

onetel.com
onetel.net
onetel.net.uk
oneteldsl.net

And enter the email password then select Add.

Does that get the email address added or still get the error message?

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

harveywilliams
Popular Poster

Hi,

Many thanks for the speedy reply! The thing I forgot to mention is that I can't remember the password. So I enter my email address & select the correct selection from the drop down menu, then click on "forgot password", which opens a new window. I enter my email address on the new new window, and fill in the captcha details, and that's when the error message pops up.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @harveywilliams 

Do you access your onetel email account via an Internet browser? If so then you'll have saved the log in password in the browser.

If you only access via an email client then some do have password managers from which a password can be recovered. For example, Thunderbird has a password manager.

But many other email clients or apps do not allow you to view the password. 

If that's the case then the TalkTalk team will need to reset your password for you. I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team and you should get a response from Monday onwards.

In the meantime, please check/update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the full onetel email address to Private notes and Save changes.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
harveywilliams
Popular Poster

Hi,

Many thanks. There is no way I can log on to the onetel account, so I look forward to hearing from one of your representatives.

Community Team

Hi harveywilliams, I've raised the fault ticket for you. It'll take a while for the password to be reset. The tickets I raised a week ago or more still haven't had results. Please chase on this thread in 3 working days. 

harveywilliams
Popular Poster

Thanks!

Community Team

You're very welcome. 

harveywilliams
Popular Poster

Hello again. After trial & error, I have now successfully logged onto my onetel email account via webmail. There appears to be no way of changing my password on onetel's mail site, so have tried updating my password myself by adding an existing mailbox with the method you outlined above. However, I am constantly getting error messages ("sorry, something went wrong, please try again") when I enter the email address & password. 

Any ideas? I guess you no longer need to call me to check my details anyway. Thank you in advance.

Community Team

Hi harveywilliams, do you you need me to close the fault ticket then or do you still want to have the password reset?

harveywilliams
Popular Poster

If you can show me how to update my password using the "manage talk talk mail" page in the my services menu, then no; I can change the password myself. However, at the moment I am unable to add my onetel address to my mailbox, as I just get an error message "Sorry something went wrong and we were unable to add the TalkTalk email. Please try again later."

Community Team

You can't change the password yourself I'm afraid. It has to be done by us, for now at least. 

harveywilliams
Popular Poster

Thanks. I guess we'll have to revert to plan A then! Yes, please raise the issue/fault ticket.

Thanks for your help & patience!

Community Team

It's already done. You're welcome to any and all help I can provide. Please let me know how you get on. 

harveywilliams
Popular Poster

I've not heard from anyone about this yet. Is there a problem with resetting my password?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi harveywilliams, I've asked the team to find out what's happening with this for you. I'll post back once I've had a reply for you. 

harveywilliams
Popular Poster

Another 14 days later and still nothing.

Community Team

Ok lets get you escalated to the CEO team it's not fair to you to have to wait so long for a password reset. You'll hear from a complaint manager in the next 2 days. 

harveywilliams
Popular Poster

Now resolved, thank you.

Community Team

That's great, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.