Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Outlook for Android Log-In Problems

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I've been having trouble reciving emails through Outlook for Android (OfA).

The last time I recieved emails on my TalkTalk accounts via OfA was on Wednesday.

I've restarted my phone, reset my accounts, uninstalled OfA and re-installed it. I've just tried deleting the accounts and re-entering them and now have an error "Your email server certificate is invalid" coming up. It gives the option to log-in anyway, but this just gives the error again.

Prior to doing all that, I found that I could still send from my account, just not recieve.

I've tried changing the IMAP port from 993 to 143 (which I found somewhere as a suggestion to fix this issue) but that gives an error "Secure connection unavailable".

My accounts still working on Outlook 2016 on my PC and via the WebMail.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Highlighted
Team Player

@daKlone, You may want to check my thread and see this problem is down to Microsoft updating the TLS to 1.2, but providers not having done this, as we are all having this problem with mobile phones and tablets using Outlook. There is also a thread on Microsoft about this, which is seven pages long of people having the same problem, you may want to look here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_amobile-mso_365hp/your-mail-...

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks Shockwave.

I guess we just wait for TalkTalk to upgrade to TLS 1.2 then?

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I am experiencing the same problem exactly as you have described ,excepting that I tried to reinstall outlook for android now I cannot even install outlook either manually or automatically get the error "server certificate invalid"

JGYeomans
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have the same problem on both my android devices.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Not that I want to nag or anything, but has anyone from TT got any news on this?

Could you confirm if this is the problem or not?

That you are working on it?

An ETA for a fix, or even an ETA for an ETA for a fix?

It's been almost a week...

Highlighted
Popular Poster
I have no problem with Gmail or an exchange account but still can't get into TT via OfA.
Highlighted
Chatterbox

After reading the Microsoft stuff in the link half way down this thread, I switched to gMail app and it all works fine.

Just not outlook for android, nor the Huawei app that comes with the phone.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Microsoft's reply was: 

After running some tests on TalkTalk's IMAP/SMTP mail servers, I see that their IMAP mail server doesn't support the TLS 1.2 protocol which our app requires in order to establish a secure, reliable connection. This is the cause of the issue. Sadly, the app only supports that protocol to establish a secure connection.

• To solve this, your IT team/mail service provider must enable this protocol in your mail server. Otherwise, I'm afraid we are unable to guarantee your account can be added in our app. My apologies.

Kindly bring this up with your IT team/mail service provider. They will be able to look into that and solve it. Thank you. Only then will your account work in our app.

- This protocol used to be supported by them in the past, and is still supported for their SMTP mail server. They should be able to fix it, look into it, or let you know why it's not supported.

TT Online chat was of little use. After establishing that I could access TT mail via a web browser the agent basically said that proved the problem was with outlook and not a TT problem. The agent confirmed TLS 1.2 not supported.

I was considering switching anyway, this has just nudged me further in that direction. 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
So that apparently confirms that it is a TT problem, in that they do not support TLS 1.2. Thanks for that.
Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Highlighted
Chatterbox

I see from todays papers that Talktalk are rated as the worst internet service provider for customer service.

Customer service only.........I can also think of other areas

JGYeomans
Highlighted
First Timer

So any official update/reply from TT staff?  I logged a chat session about this issue with TT technical support and they basically told me it wasn't their problem!

Andrew
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I've just spoken to a manager at TT who has confirmed that they have a problem which their engineers are looking at. They were however unable to give me a timescale for a fix. He did say they would get back with more information. Admitting the problem is the first step to a solution.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Well, as of sometime between 03:12 and 06:38 this morning I can no longer recieve emails via Outlook 2016 (on PC) from ONE of my TalkTalk email accounts. Ironically, the one I use most.

I can still send from both accounts, and recieve on the less-used one. Both still work via webmail.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

This problem has hit me too!

Two collective names come to mind when dealing with Microsoft and TalkTalk. Either:

"Laurel & Hardy"

or

"The Goon Squad"

Highlighted
Enlightened One

There is a very simple solution: Ditch Outlook!

The Android version is garbage....

I've not been on Android long having had (suffered/put up with?) two Windows phones prior to my current Nokia. The Windows 10 Mobile version of Outlook was terrible and full of bugs, so I wasn't over happy when I found that after switching to Android (for many reasons beyond Outlook) that the Anroid version actually made the Windows 10 Mobile version look GOOD (and that while still supporting POP3 had dumped many important POP configuration options and didn't allow you to forward your own replies!)

I contacted Microsoft support and the response was basically "Tough". So I've ditched Outlook for my TalkTalk email (which I'd moved over to IMAP) and switched to BlueMail which is free and MILES MILES better. It also POP3 for those who don't want to have to switch to IMAP with TalkTalk.

If in about week or so's time, if I'm still as impressed with BlueMail (I'm rarely impressed by software), I'll be switching my other 5 mail accounts (two Office 365 Business Premium and three Outlook.com accounts) and binning useless Outlook completely. Might even move my GMail one over from the default GMail app.

Not that it will do any good, but I left a response to Outlook for Android support suggesting that if their development team wish to have jobs I strongly suggest they dump all the unwanted, bug riddled features they are working on and fix the damned problems USERS tell them are important.

Being Microsoft though, nothing will happen - well apart from it actually get WORSE!

Highlighted
Enlightened One

Simplest solution (which I did earlier today) - ditch Outlook!

I thought Outlook Mobile 10 was dire when I had it on my Windows Phone (8.1 then 10). When I switched to Android recently what did I find - the Android version is WORSE! The current dropping of support in Outlook for TLS < 1.2 is just the latest in a catalogue of shoddy, bug ridden updates for this terrible offering from Microsoft.

Switch to something like the BlueMail client which is free and WORKS!.... 

Highlighted
Team Player

Well, at present I am using Edison Mail, bluemail crashed on IPhone X, it is working ok, once you get used to it and has extra security, if you so wish, after leaving your email client, depending how long you set it for, will need password.

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks everyone.  It's such a relief to find that I'm not the only one having this problem.  I want to use Outlook as I subscribe to the service and can use it on my pc but not on my Android.  had a long chat with TT today and they didn't seem to recognise the TLS vs 1.2 issue.  Come on TT and please sort this out.  Could you post an update on what is happening about this.