cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Outlook settings for homechoice email

14 REPLIES 14
Chatterbox

Simple question, I hope.  Can you tell me exactly what settings I should use in outlook to send and receive homechoice emails?

Community Star

Hi @robwilliams48 

It depend on what version of Outlook you have. There are differences.  Older versions do not support StartTLS.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub has the generic email settings. Nominally the servers to use would be the same as for tiscali.co.uk. But the username will be your homechoice email address.

The homechoice.co.uk email settings you need are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) POP3
Login / Username username@homechoice.co.uk username@homechoice.co.uk
Password Yes Yes
Incoming mail server imap.tiscali.co.uk pop.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming Port 993 995
Incoming Encryption Security SSL or SSL/TLS
SSL or SSL/TLS
Outgoing SMTP server smtp.tiscali.co.uk smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Outgoing Port 587 587
Outgoing Encryption Security STARTTLS STARTTLS
My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication Yes Yes

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Chatterbox

Thanks for the rapid answer, but I think I must have an old version of outlook.  Does that mean I can't do it?

Community Star

Which version of Outlook do you have?

Chatterbox

2010.  There's a full version number which is 14.0.7258.5000 (64 bit).  Does that help?

Community Star

Outlook 2010 is ok.

But the product is under 3 weeks away from the end of support from Microsoft. From 13 October 2020 there will be no more security updates. When a product doesn't get updates then potentially it's at ever increasing risk when used online.

What's the issue you're seeing?

Always check that the mailbox is working normally on send and receive before troubleshooting an email client like Outlook.

Chatterbox

I can send and receive OK via the website.  Outlook is saying for incoming "Your email server rejected your login.....The server responded - ERR Account is temporarily unavailable" and for outgoing "Your outgoing (SMTP) server has reported an internal error....The server responded 554 cm4gb 1 smtp.talktalk.net ESMTP server not available."

Community Star

Hi @robwilliams48 

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer (home broadband) or MailPlus (TalkTalk Mail only) customer and is the homechoice mailbox address added to your MyAccount?

Managing your email in My Account - add the email address to MyAccount to avoid restriction or ultimate deletion of the mailbox.

If you're not a TalkTalk Consumer (home broadband) customer your mailbox may be restricted to webmail only access unless you subscribe to TalkTalk Mail Plus.

If you have a mail message from TalkTalk about deletion of your TalkTalk managed mailbox then deletion is after 180 days. After 60 days the mailbox has webmail only access.

So, before going on to troubleshoot Outlook settings I'm asking the above questions to make sure the account hasn't been restricted to webmail only access.  What's your take on the situation?

Chatterbox

I haven't been a Talktalk customer in any sense for years.  I only became one because Tiscali acquired Homechoice, then Talktalk acquired Tiscali.  I have had no message from Talktalk telling me my mailbox is going to be deleted (though I did for my Tiscali email address a couple of years ago).  The only messages about my Homechoice email I have had from Talktalk have been about an upgrade to my service.  It's since the "upgrade" that I have been having problems with Outlook access.

Community Star

Hi robwilliams48 

When was the upgrade?  I thought that the tiscali family of mailboxes had been upgraded some time ago.

If you start the MailPlus application process then that will authenticate the email address and password and check that it's eligible for a MailPlus subscription.

Chatterbox

I don't have a precise date as I haven't kept any of the messages (obviously I should have), but it was fairly recent, say within the last couple of months.  Homechoice was always an outlier for Talktalk.  For a while they didn't seem to know it even existed.  A few years ago they denied any responsibility for it.  It's not a big deal for me as it's not my main email address any more - I largely gave up using it when I got nowhere with Talktalk and now it only receives messages (mostly spam) from non-usual contacts who haven't managed to update their contact list.  I started out by hoping this was a simple request.  It obviously isn't and there is no point in your spending a lot of time on it.  Thank you very much for the time you have spent.

Community Star

Hi robwilliams48 

The choice is yours really. If you wish to keep the mailbox active via Outlook then it requires a MailPlus subscription.

But if you rarely use it, know the contacts to advise, and the email address is known to spammers then my choice would be to delete it or let it auto-delete through non use or because it's not associated with a customer MyAccount.

Chatterbox

Many thanks.  You might like to know that I have solved the problem by deleting the Homechoice email address from Outlook and then reinstalling it using Outlook's automatic system - i.e. I didn't have to enter anything except the email address and my password.  All working fine now, rather to my surprise.  Your input much appreciated, though, and now I suppose I ought to think about updating Outlook.

Community Star

Hi robwilliams48 

TalkTalk Mail supports auto-detect and most of the time the email client is configured in a working state so that's good of you to confirm. Doesn't always work with all email clients or apps so that's why I responded to your question asking for the settings.

I would bookmark this topic so you have the details of what to do when TalkTalk advise that if you're not a TalkTalk customer the mailbox will be restricted to webmail only access.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi robwilliams48,

Welcome to the Community, glad to see that, with the help of Gondola, you've manged to resolve the issue 🙂

Chris