Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

PIPEX POP SERVER CONNECTIONS VERY POOR

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Webmail is still flakey for me.

It is working though, but will suddenly hang or become slow.

Highlighted
Team Player

Not connecting directly to the POP server but I've been having problems accessing my pipex mail via the web interface for a week or so now. Trying to access it from work results in ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED. It did start working from home a few days ago but even that has stopped working now. 

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi @dwillis Pipex webmail was working fine for me earlier this morning, but am now getting repeated failures to log in on both Windows 10 and Android, but it loads eventually (nothing like as bad as things got on Monday).  Also having a few transient time-outs and error messages on POP.  Nothing unusual, really, and we have already been told to expect this type of thing to recur until we are migrated.

Regards

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

If you wished to, you could ask for a fee reduction until that migration (and normal service resumes) happens. It worked for me.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

@OCE_Ady 

Hi, trust you are well, it’s been a while since I last posted because up to last week everything has been great, the longest run of good mail connection I can remember.

But unfortunately it appears the same pipex pop server issue has come back and like others I am getting periods of connection errors, pop server unavailable and excessive time before mail arrives. This comes and goes but the trend is it’s getting progressively worse. Like before it’s the same whether on the home network with iMac or out and about using cellular on the iPhone and it’s only the pop server (ie. incoming), the smtp (outgoing is always fine).

I’ve read through this discussion and can’t see anywhere that an OCE is actually chancing this problem which from memory required the help of the backroom guys (think it had something to do with the pop server getting inundated with messages that required manual removal).

So, please could this get escalated and the same “fix” as last time be implemented, I’m sure all would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@pbar100 wrote:

If you wished to, you could ask for a fee reduction until that migration (and normal service resumes) happens. It worked for me.

Getting a fee reduction mid-contract is a whole different ballgame from negotiating one when renewing. I've tried this in the past and always been told absolutely no way.

O migration, migration, wherefore art thou migration?
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

That's a fair point Steve. But have you tried recently? You will never know unless you do. It wasn't easy for me either, I had to persist and try different representatives until they relented.

But you do have the current faults to use as ammunition now, and proof of them on this forum as well as online support staff, some of who were aware when I contacted them.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@SiHancox wrote:

@OCE_Ady 

So, please could this get escalated and the same “fix” as last time be implemented, I’m sure all would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

The only fix we've been promised is the long awaited migration to the new TalkTalk Email Platform and who knows when that will be.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Yes, should of really said “temp fix”, but I seem to remember @OCE_Ady mentioning following the last period of “bad service” (when it was improving) that all we had to do was notify when the service degraded again and the backroom guys would instigate whatever temporary fix worked last time.

Can’t find his post but since whatever was done last time resulted in (from my perspective anyhow) several months of decent service, was just hoping same could be done again.

It’s a shame really because the internet side of things has been first class, and have just managed to get a WiFi Hub out of Loyalty Dept which I’m more than pleased with. Still, can send mail ok like always, so half the service is better than nothing I suppose 😉

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@SiHancox wrote:

Still, can send mail ok like always, so half the service is better than nothing I suppose 😉

Were you not affected by the non-delivery of emails sent from Pipex to Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook, Sky, Yahoo etc etc that started about 3 months ago and is still not fully resolved ?

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Don’t believe so, or haven’t had anyone complain of not receiving messages, but that might simply be due to the fact I’m not a high user of Mail (outgoing anyhow), half a dozen a day at most.

I use Mail mostly for incoming notifications when ordering something online, payment or bill confirmations, that’s why I notice the pop server glitches.

Also finding I’m using Text a lot more.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I've submitted a formal complaint to the CEO and it's like wading through treacle - lots of "customer care" yibble & time spent on phone to them and answering meaningless emails but no tangible outcome except that:

1. They claim that email is a free add-on to your contract (thus implying that they are under no obligation to provide it but you should be grateful for this "freebie" even thought it doesn't work properly)
  2. There is no timescale for the migration of pipex to the talktalk server; they are trying ibut it is beset by technical difficulties because it's 25 years old (begs question of why did they leave it so long - until it was falling apart - before addressing the issue)
  3. They will get back to me about some compensation/discount. We shall see....
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

@SiHancox 

It is almost a certainty that some mails you have sent using Pipex in the last few weeks have not been receiving or have gone to junk.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@Flaneuse wrote:
  1. They claim that email is a free add-on to your contract (thus implying that they are under no obligation to provide it but you should be grateful for this "freebie" even thought it doesn't work properly)

I have heard that argued before and do not accept it. We pay a fee for a package of internet services that includes email. The contention that it is free becomes even less valid now that they will charge non-broadband customers £5 for the  'privilege' of using it.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

In and effort to be objective and fair (and not always moaning) I note Pipex POP servers are flying today with near instantaneous responses. Feels like some sort of 'fix' has been put in place as their performance is dramatically different from that of the past week.

Ironically its the talktalk.net POP server thats giving me a bit of trouble today, which I believe is on the new email  platform. Getting lengthy delays and/or password requests which sounds all too similar to previous Pipex woes .....

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Thanks for posting to let us know. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

@pbar100 

I really have no way of knowing if any Sent messages that were not in a discussion have gone astray or not, but have never had any requests for Re-Sending, “luckily” most sent were usually in said discussion, in other words a back and forth correspondence, which does confirm the recipient had received because of their return!

But I will certainly be more careful and probably finish the message by asking for confirmation of receipt, might add it to my signature so it doesn’t have to be typed.

Wasn’t aware of this additional issue, so thanks for the heads-up, appreciated.

@stevesurrey 

The Pop Server was quite responsive this morning for me, but just tried 30 minutes ago at home (ie. just gone 1300Hrs) and it was back to being very slow again, needed to close Mail Client and reopen before they arrived.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi  As per usual, this morning's early optimism (and POP3 Pipex was VERY fast) things are now back to 'normal', with repeated timeouts and error messages.  Pipex webmail is slow to load and needs at least two 'failed' attempts first to be able to connect.

Regards

Highlighted
Enlightened One

Yes I agree @pbar100 and @Muddymedic. This morning Pipex was working as it should be but it has now reverted to its usual appalling state of timeouts, disconnects and password requests. It is quite bizarre how in a matter of a few hours it can go from sublime to ridiculous.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@stevesurrey - I agree: it's part of a package and the point about charging everyone is a good one. They claim a new contract sent out when they took over did not undertake to provide email. I will try to dig it out sometime.

I spoke today to someone in CEO office who claimed that pipex addresses should work on TTmail. One of mine does, the others don't. I am not sure that this cures the pipex server problems, though, as sometimes the inbox takes ages to load, or doesn't do so.