cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Password popup

KannyKen
Wizz Kid

Just when I thought all my problems were over I juust came back to my PC and found the dreaded password box up again. However, this time the next attempt to get mail was ok whereas before when it happened, it failed every time.

Some people call me Victor Meldrew. I don't believe it!
Rochelle
Insightful One

@KannyKen I got the pop up password when I opened my laptop this morning!! You are not the only one and I bet there are loads more out there!!! When will it stop?

Community Team

I've passed the details over for you. Hopefully, it will help the team identify the problem you're all having. 

PaulMC1
Team Player

Probably tempting fate here (and you *just know* the moment I write this, it's gonna happen!) - but - I've now gone the longest amount of time without the email pop up box.

I think last saw it on Thursday night. I switched my laptop on yesterdaty (Friday 11th Jan) and left it on all night - and - here we are, nearly into Saturday afternoon and no pop up!

However, as I say, I remain sceptical!

How are others doing?

metman71
Team Player

Just thought I'd give a round up of my experience over the past week.

Last Friday (4th) the popup wouldn't let me access my Tiscali emails at all. I then noticed the password in the popup was too long, so I entered my current password and the popup went and emails came in okay. I had one popup the next day and one again on Wednesday, but both went straight after clicking ok without re-entering my password. I can live with an odd rogue popup if it goes immediately after clicking on ok, but fingers crossed it has been fixed for me at least.

I have a gmail account using the same WLM 2012 client without any problems. I have Windows 10 (1809).

Rochelle
Insightful One

@PaulMC1 I've had 2 password pop ups this morning!!  They are not as frequent as they were a week ago which is all I am prepared to say about the situation but they shouldn't be appearing at all!! 

Rochelle

PaulMC1
Team Player

Spoke too soon as strongly suspected!

Pop up box is back!!!!!!!

KannyKen
Wizz Kid

I get about one per day now so hardly noticeable compared to what it was. Strange that it happens only one one account and not the other talktalk.net one. I have had one occurence on my main account which is a homecall.co.uk account but I think that was during microsoft stupidly trying to update Windows 10 and Office 2016 at the same time so possibly caused a conflict of resources. Once I took back control of the updates and did it sensibly the problem went away.

Highlighted
Rochelle
Insightful One

@PaulMC1  Had the pop up a few times this evening. Just to let you know you are not the ony one!!

Rochelle

PaulMC1
Team Player

Thanks Rochelle!

Well, today, Sunday, they're coming non stop!!!!!!!! As soon as clear one, another pop up box appears within a few minutes.

Utterly ridiculous.

Outlook must surely be one of, if not *the* biggest email client in the world and for Talk Talk servers to have this continual annoying problem is truly farcial.

Come on Talk Talk! Sort this out! You can't surely be that incompetent............can you??

Rochelle
Insightful One

@PaulMC1   Hi, Just want to confirm what you are saying so the OCE's know you are not the only one. This afternoon (Sunday) the password pop is appearing often and 1 after another  on Outlook (10) .Just wait until my contact is up shortly!!!!!

Rochelle

Robert Lear
Participant

It is now 9 days since I reported the problem of Pop Up Passwords & no emails coming through on my PC. I'm pleased to report that I (we) have not had the Pop Up Password reminder for several days so it appears to be sorted.

The engineer at Talk Talk (I'm Tiscali) suggested NOT to delete and re install my email as this wouldn't help and assured me that the Engineers were sorting. Through a number of posts to the community I did ask how to delete and re install. (I assume Talk Talk look at community posts, perhaps not?). MANY THANKS to those who tried to help in the community.

As Talk Talk can't be bothered to investigate/advise I have just deleted my email account and re installed on my PC. I did it through the Outlook 'folder' (right click, delete account) without copying any files for back up as the instructions are of course far to complicated with IMAP/POP .pst/.ost options. I followed the 'set up' instructions on the screen, very brief... put in email account address and password and basically that's it, no need to input IMAP/POP options. All emails were temporarily lost on the PC, however, within 10 minutes all were back and the complete set from those 'lost' since last Friday 4th. I have sent and received emails to check, all appears OK. 

Therefore I can only conclude that some update by Talk Talk or Microsoft corrupted the settings on my Tiscali account. I certainly didn't. These instructions (delete and reinstall)  are not obvious on any website (Talk Talk/Microsoft) that I've looked at. So, the Talk Talk 'expert' engineer was wrong in his initial advice not to delete and re install and I no doubt would still be waiting for many days/weeks for Talk Talk's helpful advice. I have a 'working knowledge' of IT/self taught from the problems we all encounter and setting up IPADs etc.

Can some one from the Community take this up with Talk Talk. If I had confidence in any of the other email providers I would leave Talk Talk immediately. They are better than they were but the problems shown from this exercise illustrate why so many people leave TT and why TT get such bad publicity.

Good luck to you all, I hope the Pop Up Password problem is soon solved and if you are not receiving emails it may be best to delete and re install. Appears to have worked for me.

Cheers

ROB 

KannyKen
Wizz Kid

IU have had a few password popups today but one was with my homecall.co,uk account and may have been coincident with Outlook archiving posts. I am coming to the conclusion it is overall weaknesses in the system and am thankful this system is not controlling aircraft!

Rochelle
Insightful One

@Robert Lear  I have no problems with emails being received or sent, just the wretched password pop up (continually today) . I was also getting an IMAP pop up but that now has stopped. 

However I have lost  2 folders from my TT webmail or rather they are there but are totally empty!! One folder completed with the emails I found in the Outlook data file and the other I have found I can access on my phone as a sub folder within the Junk folder!!  Very strange. In Outlook (10) the Junk folder has a round red circle with a cross through it which may mean there is something there but it is inaccessible. Am just wondering if I uninstalled my TT email account from Outlook like you did and then reinstalled it everything would be sorted or not. You mention Tiscali which I have never had as I have been with TT for a long time.

PaulMC1
Team Player

Hi All

Well, it seems the pop up problem rumbles on....

You know, I just can't wait until May, when my contract with TalkTalk is up. I shall be off quicker than a rat up a drainpipe!

Anyway, re: the pop up box - just wanted to clarify that I can still send and receive via Outlook 2010 - it's just contstanty (today, anyway) interrupted by the pop up password box.

Webmail is totally fine as well....

Robert Lear
Participant
Hi. I'm no expert, however, often the email needs to be re set when all else fails. Sometimes my IPad and IPhone fail to send/receive emails and I have to go to Settings and delete then reinstall. I wouldn't imagine there isn't a large difference between Tiscali, the pre runner of Talk Talk in terms of sorting the problem out. I very rarely use webmail so assume mine reflects the correct position. Good luck in sorting, sorry I can't give you cast iron remedy... ROB
GHackland
Participant

Maybe I did speak too soon. after about a week with no troubles, the popup is back! Not quite as often as before, but definitely evey time I login. :quiet::scream:

KannyKen
Wizz Kid

Just to recap. Over Christmas one of my talktalk.net accounts failed 100% of the time with the password popup every time. That was the account I found had settings quite different from another talktalk.net account and which never gave a problem. So I set the failing account to the same settings as the working account and for some days had no problem. But now I get occasional popup password box on the account that was failiing but not on the account that never failed. Sometimes but more rarely I have failures on a homecall.co.uk account but with different error messages. There is a sort of correlation, but by no means 100%, between all my failures and things like updates occuring. Between my operating system, antivirus software and various applications there is usually something updating each day. GHackland says he has failures when he log ins. This could be the time when software is checking for and implementing updates which brings me back to a comment I made before. Is it a clash of resources?. My PC is reasonable spec that I built myself but that was nearly seven years ago. My ipad receives far fewer emails but never ever had a problem and it obviously connects to the same router but by wifi which should, if anytning make it more vulnerable as my pc connects by ethernet.

Community Team

Hi all, I've just had word that we need to do more testing and more checking of the settings you're all using. I've then got to raise fault tickets for each of you. So please make sure you've all got a landline and mobile in your profile along with the affected email address.

Here's what I've now been asked to ask you to do:

If you're still having trouble I need you to go to Email Settings for POP and IMAP 

I need you to use the specific settings listed for the domain of your email address and only those listed. 

If you've not already provided the Operating System for your device/s and the mail client and version then please add those to your post or personal message. 

If there is still an issue then please provide all your  email client settings for both SMTP and IMAP along with a screenshot of the error. You may want to send this to me as Personal Message. 

If your problem is not a logging in issue with a mail client then you need to post a new thread of your own. This is specifically for those who get the login errors. If you can get into your mail all the time using a mail client but don't like the layout etc please start a new thread. I will help you in your new thread. 

Rochelle
Insightful One

Am I tempting fate by saying I haven't seen that password pop up for 24hours?

Rochelle