Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Password reset not an option

ANSWERED
11 REPLIES 11
SilverWard
Chatterbox

Hi there.  This looks to be the only way to get help with my issue. Some time ago I added 3 new email accounts (2 for my two daughters and an extra one for myself) and I do not recall needing to set up individual passwords for them.  None of them have been used at all.  I have since deleted my extra one in the hope that I could set it back up with a new password.  Which I can't so I have lost that address now.  But I do not want to lose my daughters' addresses.  I just want to set up/reset passwords for them but with no phone number or alternative email address to send the 'recover password' email to, I am stuck.  Can anyone help me please?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SilverWard 

Managing your email in My Account gives the guidance needed to look after your MyAccount login and your TalkTalk mailboxes.

Each mailbox does have a password. To change the password via MyAccount, My Mailboxes does require you to know the existing password.

The sign in for the mailboxes is here: TalkTalk Mail sign in so if you remember the password for a mailbox you can sign in if the mailbox is still active. Mailboxes are flagged for deletion if not signed in at least once every 180 days.

You say the mailboxes have never been used. How long ago did you create them?

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

SilverWard
Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola 

I'm sure it was longer than 6 months ago when I set them but might not have been.  They are still showing in My Account under manage my email and I only have the option to change password or delete but I don't remember the passwords on my daughters addresses to be able to change them and when you select 'forgotten my password' when I tried to log into them, it wants to email a reminder to the address that I cannot access because I have forgotten then password.  My own original email address has an alternative email address and phone number to use but I obviously haven't set that up on my daughters' addresses.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi SilverWard 

OK. What I'm going to suggest is a bit awkward. 

But the easiest solution that's entirely in your own hands is to delete the mailboxes just like you did with your unused one and start over with newly created mailboxes. If the existing mailboxes have never been used then there's no loss as nobody has been given the addresses.

Setting up Reset details can be done for each mailbox but this case will not be considered high priority. Right now the TalkTalk teams are prioritising vulnerable customers.

So, what do you think? Create some new mailboxes today?  Or be patient and wait until you get to the top of the non-priority queue?

Heads up that when you do create new mailboxes you'll get a green tick in the boxes for both talktalk.net email address and password but this just means the character entry is good.  The create mailbox routine then goes off to check that the email address is unique and never ceated before. 

So you may get some try again error messages if the desired email address is not unique.  Your daughters should have totally unique email addresses. They're worth it.

SilverWard
Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola 

Do you know how I go about resetting the details?  I'm in no rush so happy to join a queue, how ever long.  I had considered deleting and setting up new ones but with a surname of Ward being so common, to get the email addresses as 'nice' as I've got them for my daughters will be a mission so while they still 'exist' because I own them, I would rather try to reset.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi SilverWard 

Yes, understood.

As the self-help password recovery options aren't there I'll request the TalkTalk Community team for you. They'll need to verify you as the registered email user, and set up Reset details so you can get the password changed for each mailbox.

In the meantime, please check and update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current TalkTalk contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the email addresses and Save changes.

A TalkTalk Community Team member prefixed with OCE_ will reply to this thread and then Community Personal Message you to verify the registered email user details.

When verified, the password will be changed and Reset details set up allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your Password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to each mailbox.

SilverWard
Chatterbox

Thanks for your help @Gondola 

simonb
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @SilverWard I have sent you a PM

SimonB
SilverWard
Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola 

simonb messaged me below but not prefixed OCE_.

Am I to reply to personal message?  Not happy giving out security details unless it is to help with my issue.

Thanks for your help so far

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SilverWard 

Yes @simonb is trusted TT Staff helping us out here whilst the OCE's are working on different priorities.

Simon is in the TalkTalk Content team normally working hard producing Help & Support content.

simonb

Hi @SiverWard these have been requested and you should be able to retest after 48 hrs,

Thanks

SimonB
simonb

Hi @SilverWard thanks for letting us know that your issue is resolved

SimonB