Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Password reset

11 REPLIES 11
SteveG27
Chatterbox

How do I reset the password to an email address that Iv forgotten the password for?

If I select “forgotten my password” it only gives me the option to send the reset to the very same email account I do not know the password to!

if I got to manage mail on the main account and try the reset password for that email it then asks for the old password and no option to reset if you've forgotten it.

Please Help!

Stephen Gardner
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SteveG27 

Is this a recently active mailbox? i.e. not an old one that might not be active even though it's listed in your MyAccount?

If you've been accessing recently via a browser and TalkTalk Mail webmail then the browser may have saved the login password. Or some email programs have a password manager from which you can view the saved login password.  I'll guide you if you let me know how you normally access mail from the mailbox.

Here's the TalkTalk advice on Changing your email password that includes advice on setting up password recovery Reset details. 

As it appears you haven't set up password recovery then if you cannot recover the password from a browser like Chrome or Firefox or email program like Thunderbird's password manager or Apple Mail's keychain then you'll need help from TalkTalk to set up Reset details for you.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password reset options aren't available. A TT Staff member will verify you as the registered email user and set up Reset details so you can get the password changed.

To proceed, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current landline and mobile contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the email address and Save changes.

In due course a TalkTalk Community Team member will reply here and then Community Personal Message you to verify you as the mail user; so be prepared to provide on request to TT Staff only:

• Email address affected
  • Your Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Landline 'phone number and Full postal address linked to the email address when first registered OR TalkTalk account security answers
  • Include Reset details - an active alternate email address and (optionally) a mobile number to receive a password reset link or code.

When you're verified the Reset details will be set up within 48 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your Password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SteveG27, I'm just getting your PMs enabled so that I can confirm some information and get the password reset tool settings changed for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

SteveG27
Chatterbox
does this usually take awhile to do?
Stephen Gardner
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Steve

In normal times the enabling of Personal Messaging takes but a moment.  Seems to be enabled.  Access via the envelope icon by your avatar top right of this page when signed in to Community.

See if there's a message waiting from Ady for your reply. There should be a test message from me.

Reset details are updated within 48 hours after Ady's authorisation. If that's been done check with the Forgotten password button in the help page Changing your email password and if Reset details are set up you'll have additional email and or mobile phone options for password reset link or code.

SteveG27
Chatterbox

Yeah I see your test message but nothing from Ady

Stephen Gardner
Gondola
Community Star

He'll be here Monday so I'll re-escalate this topic.

OCE_Ady

Hi SteveG27, I'm sorry that your PMs didn't get enabled before I went on leave. I've sent you the PM now. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

OCE_Ady

Thanks for confirming the security information. Please confirm the email that needs the password reset and the alternate email address for the password reset tool.

Ady

SteveG27
Chatterbox

Hi I replied to your PM.

steve

Stephen Gardner
SteveG27
Chatterbox

well thanks for trying but it never worked and I ended up deleting the account.

Stephen Gardner
OCE_Ady

Thanks for posting back to let us know. 

Ady