cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Password suddenly 'incorrect' and no way to change it.

ANSWERED
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hello. I have two 'spare' email addresses (at talktalk.net) one of which I've been using recently. Today, I got a 'password incorrect' message but I assure you the password should have worked (yes, I checked CapLock etc).

Out of curiosity, I checked my other 'spare' – 'password incorrect' again.

My main address (at tiscsali) is working as it should.

Thinking I might have had the spare addresses hacked, I tried to change the password so I clicked the 'Forgotten your password?' link. I input the problematic email address as requested and solved the captcha. Then I got this message:

How should we send your reset code or link?

For security you have 30 minutes to complete your password reset.

By TalkTalk Mail to: ******”

But ****** is the email I can't get to! And there's no option to choose an alternative to send the reset code to.

I read that I can change an email password via My Account but that won't work as you need to input 'Current Password'...

Two questions then:

A. Any idea as to why my password (which I know to be correct) is suddenly 'incorrect' and

B. How on Earth does one change the password if the reset code can't be sent to a working email address?

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @largolady 

If your email addresses are listed in your MyAccount then you can change the passwords. 

Here's the advice article on managing your email in MyAccount.

I recommend reading the instructions carefully.  You do not require the existing email password.  You do require the MyAccount password that you just used to sign in with. This is to authorise the email password change.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Gondola and thanks for that.  Using My Account, I got the 'password successfully changed' message.  Sadly, I still can't access that email address as the newly set password is also 'incorrect'.  Is there a time delay before the new one can be used?  If not, then I suspect you may have a problem at your end.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @largolady 

There is a time delay but normally a matter of minutes. It's a talktalk.net email address?

To make sure the new password will access the talktalk.net mailbox then check by signing in to TalkTalk Mail

Has that talktalk email address been upgraded to the new TalkTalk Mail platform?  If it is flagged for upgrading then you'll have received emails and a prompt to set up Reset details for password recovery.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi.  Yes, it's a dotnet address.  The signin page says "The new TalkTalk mail is almost here ... If your mailbox has been fully upgraded, you'll be able to access it right away.  If not, we'll direct you to the old login screen for now."  (I've no idea if I'm on Old or New login screen.  I didn't notice any 'directing' taking place...)

Many minutes have passed but my newly changed password is still 'incorrect'. 

Highlighted
Participant

Welcome to the locked out club 😞 

Don't expect to access your email anytime soon I've been locked out since the 14th March and there is no timescale for a fix. I'm beyond angry.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi yirgy. "...and there is no timescale for a fix".  So has someone confirmed that there IS a known issue?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @largolady 

On the sign in screen you'll enter the full email address in the email address box and then the Your password box will appear.  Clear that box of any dots and manually enter the new password for that email address.

If you still get the message

The password is incorrect.

Then the password or email address is not valid or the account is suspended.

Have another go and if you're still locked out then we'll need to get a fault ticket raised. If this is the email account that you've not signed in to webmail for over 180 days then the email account could be suspended for non-use. The suspension will need to be lifted before access is available.

Chat Champion
Thanks for your continued efforts, Gondola. My password is still 'incorrect'. To clarify:
My main email account (linked to Billing) is fine.
I have 3 'spare' accounts (unused for probably more than a year) and began using one of them a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine until today. The other two 'spares' also have 'incorrect' passwords.

Will you need to raise one or three fault tickets?
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @largolady 

Just to clarify, and make absolutely sure, the three spare email accounts are all @talktalk.net domains?  Not tiscali or lineone for example?

All were previously unused for over a year. So all are likely to be flagged for suspension and pending deletion.  But one talktalk.net account was working recently until today and that's the one that you've tried to get a new password for?

Highlighted
Chat Champion
Correct on all counts!
Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi @largolady 

OK, My take is that the 3 talktalk.net email accounts are (hopefully) just suspended. All would have been flagged for suspension and pending deletion. The one that was working could be suspended by the system if the password was seen to be weak or if suspicious activity was detected on the account.

I'll escalate for the accounts to be checked, unsuspended, and password recovery to be set up for all three talktalk.net email accounts.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current address and TalkTalk contact 'phone numbers and then scroll down and add the 3 email addresses to Private notes. Include Reset details - an active alternate email address and (optionally) your mobile contact number for the team to set up your Reset details for you so you can reset and choose your own passwords. Add times when you're available in person to speak to the email team. And then Save changes.

The TalkTalk OCE will be able to confirm the status of each email account and when Password recovery is ready or if an email team member will call you on the mobile.

The email team member will check security with you and let you know that password recovery is ready and will offer to help check the reset and that your new passwords work for each email account.

Highlighted
Chat Champion
All done. I've just added the one 'spare' email to Private Notes. The other two I'll simply delete, I don't need them. Thank you so much for your efforts.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi

That's ok. If you delete the unused ones and in the future you find you'd like an additional email account then you can create one in your MyAccount.  You'll not be able to re-use any email address you've used before but you can make brand new ones so long as there are spare slots to create them in the My Services > Manage Webmail section of your MyAccount.

The TalkTalk team will respond here from Monday onwards.

Highlighted
Chat Champion
On second thoughts, then, I'll keep all three 'spare' email addresses.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi largolady, I've sent you a personal message. Once you've replied I can raise a fault ticket for you. 

Cheers

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted

Hi largolady, I've raised the fault ticket for you. You should have Password Recovery tools setup in 24-48 hours. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chat Champion
What should I be looking for exactly? More than 48hrs have passed but there's no email in the email account that I specified for 'Recovery'. Thank you.
Highlighted

I've sent a chaser to try and speed this up for you. Hopefully you won't have too much longer to wait. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello Ady,

I am not with TalkTalk so don't have an account number but still use the tiscali e-mail address which has been working fine since the last blip a few months ago. Today the pop up box has started to appear and when I try and log into the Talktalk website to access my e-mails via that route I can't get in. There is an error message saying it is temporarily unavailable and shows an error code LGI-0005. I have tried to change the password (which was last changed in Sept 2018 so it is  a recent one but the message e-mail not recogn ised comes up yet we have had the same e-mail from when Tiscali started back in the dim and distant past. I presume there is an issue at TalkTalk end and I have not been "terminated" as that would be really annoying as we are expecting important e-mails and most people/organisations have that e-mail.