cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pipex - Complete Loss Of Service

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Since I posted this before your posts on Friday I've heard nothing from the email admins. I'm chasing them hourly and will let you all know as soon as I hear anything either way.

Ady

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Thanks Ady.

Steve - it would indeed appear that the mails sent to the affected addresses during that down time are simply just lost. It seems that the sender's have no bounce back either.

It is staggering that we are expected to just accept this, with no explanation, no apology, and yet again the service status page is just not fit for purpose.

As you mentioned the migration Steve, obviously the promised timescale has now passed. Although I did get an e-mail at the end of last year telling me that it is forthcoming.

Highlighted

Can I just stress, I have had no contact from the admins. No one has said that your mail is definitely gone for good. Once I get confirmation of what's happened/happening I'll post back. 

Ady

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Andy, thanks for your replies and for chasing etc..

I admire your faith in the admins... do you still believe in Father Christmas too!!!!

Dan the Man...
Highlighted

I've seen the admins and I get Christmas pressies so I guess that means yes I do. 

Ady

Highlighted
Chat Champion

If the TT server was unresponsive or replying with rejection messages as in this case, the sending system would not be able to transfer the emails to the TT server so they never had them.

Whether the sending system would try again, how many times and over what timescale would depend on how it is configured which is outwith the control of TT.

Highlighted

I've had to ask a senior manager to get involved as I'm not getting a response from the team now. 

Ady

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ummm so as well as not talking to other mail servers they not talking to you too!!   Its more like No Talk NO Talk rather than Talk Talk!!!

Dan the Man...
Highlighted

They have a lot on their plate at the moment. Replying to me is not their main priority they do that as a courtesy. On this occasion I've escalated it as I believe it's important that we take the lost mail seriously and get it recovered as soon as possible if possible.

Ady

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Andy, As always thank you for following up. Replying to you may be done out of courtesy.,however I would suggest (like you have) that loss of mail is a major issue and should be investigated thoroughly... In addition why have a Service status if it doesn't reflect the service!
Dan the Man...

If the issue isn't spotted and the on call team aren't called out then the status page won't be changed. The email admins don't have access to the service status page that's managed under the incident process. 

Ady

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@OCE_Ady wrote:

They have a lot on their plate at the moment. Replying to me is not their main priority they do that as a courtesy. On this occasion I've escalated it as I believe it's important that we take the lost mail seriously and get it recovered as soon as possible if possible.

Ady

Ady your efforts as usual are appreciated but the Admins need to understand the reply is for CUSTOMERS and that should be far more than just a 'courtesy'. As usual we are left in the dark owing to the internal machinations of TalkTalk.

O migration, migration, wherefore art tho migration?
Highlighted
Chat Champion

I didn't doubt that there are reasons why the status page is useless, it was a fair bet that those reasons would be related to TTs dysfunctional organisational systems.

The fact remains that it is useless.

It is irrelevant that there may be circumstances under which it is updated, when there are so many instances when it isn't which render it unfit for purpose.

What is needed is a system where multiple reports in this section of identical issues, which taken together clearly indicate a serious problem, generate an alert in the relevant place whatever time or day of the week it happens to be.

There is no point in having an on call team which isn't called out when there is a problem. If that happens the system has failed and needs to be changed.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Andy,

May I suggest you share all these posts with your senior managers.. 

Understandably there are a lot of very irate customers who have some very valid feedback and suggestions for improvement yet nothing ever seems to get done... (or if it does we never hear about it).

Considering Talk Talk is a communications company, at times its lack of communication is mind blowing. 

Dan the Man...
Highlighted

I'm happy to share your posts as requested. 

Ady

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Add another one to this list please Ady. I've been away the last few days and didn't have my forum user/pass with me: Again I'm aware that emails have been both bouncing back and straight lost over the last week or so. And the worst thing as always is not knowing what I've missed. Not remotely on.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Attempts to connect to the dsl.pipex.cm IMAP servers are failing again.

Just got the warning message from one of my accounts (again....) and I'm expecting it from the other 2 shortly (given that mails I know have been sent to me - since I send them as status checks just after midnight - haven't yet arrived).

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@gmlack wrote:

Attempts to connect to the dsl.pipex.cm IMAP servers are failing again.

Oh - and the SMTP server is rejecting incoming SMTP calls completely again:

[parent]: telnet smtp.dsl.pipex.com 25
Trying 212.74.114.24...
Connected to smtp.pipex.tiscali.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Could it be running out of sockets from being overloaded?

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

>> Attempts to connect to the dsl.pipex.cm IMAP servers are failing again.

They've just sprung back to life, after having been missing for around 2 hours.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have my gmail account forward to my Pipex and it keeps showing Mail Delivery Subsystem Address not found, Recipient Undeliverable. Is the root cause in TalkTalk identified and a fix defined and now implemented. Is someone from TT technical team able to provide a clear answer rather than allow people like Andy take the brunt ?