cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pipex - Complete Loss Of Service

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Then the system is broken as it requires information which is not available to customers unless a failed sender who is not a customer is kind enough to send a copy of the failure notice they got, assuming the TT email system happens not to reject it.

Again, we as customers should not have to jump through hoops to persuade the "email team" that their systems are failing when they should have error logs.

As the email service status currently says "no reported issues", does this mean that the reason this issue is ongoing is because we have not provided enough evidence to prove that there really is an issue?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

It means that no incident has been raised. That normally means that either not enough customers are affected or that the issue is not deemed to be system wide i.e. not a system failure.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

So nothing will be done until they admit the problem is big enough to bother about? That would fit with the authentication failures where people report it endlessly here and nothing happens until it fails completely.

Another bounced email from groups.io at 14:39 today, usual TT512.

Also, I got no notification email for your reply above, so if they need a fully detailed bounce message, they have one, as it presumably bounced!

Conversation Starter

So at 16:21 I am still getting bounce backs , message is 550 5.1.1 wSfri4hNgsb9y Recipient Undeliverable (TT512).

To TalkTalk Management, is this acknowledged as a problem to be resolved for your customers? If so what is your plan ?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

FYI I have now written to the CEO and the plc complaints, will advise if I get a constructive response 

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Best you can hope for really, and what you should insist on, is a reduction to your fees. I did, even mid contract I got a discount given on my monthly payments, which is quite sizeable for the year and has given me some appeasement.

It wasn't easy, I did it through the live chat feature, but I got it. You can direct them to the history of the problems on here. Money talks - if enough of us insist on this then they will eventually sit up and maybe do something, as the Pipex issues really have been continuous for years for us all.

Don't be fobbed off and don't give in.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I don't want a reduction in the bill for a poor service, I want an internet service that is reliable!

It seems that every time one emerges, as soon as word starts to get round one of the big boys just buys them up and drags them down to their standards.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

I don't want a reduction in the bill for a poor service, I want an internet service that is reliable!

Yes I know that, we all do, but the way to get it would be to hit the finances, i.e. insist on discounts. Only then will the powers that be notice it.

You can try all the other ways, but they have all been done over the years, with zero results. But the best of luck to you.

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

"I want an internet service that is reliable". So do I and therefore it is highly unlikely that I will renew my contract when the current one expires. I will not be swayed by financial inducements. However, I share the concern that a small reliable internet company is likely to be swallowed up by one of the big boys with a consequent lowering of standards of service. In the meantime, I can only suggest to frustrated Pipex users still waiting for the migration to the TalkTalk mail platform that they do what I did two years ago and open a gmail account. Life is now so much better but when I leave TalkTalk, I am hoping it will be better still.

Pal353
Highlighted
Whizz Kid

I have also opened a Gmail account which has been really useful when Pipex goes down. However it would be a  hassle to have to register a new email address with a whole range of online services so I continue to hope that we will eventually receive a reliable service.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

It is such a hassle changing to a new email provider when you have lots of internet logins . I have a standby email address with gmail. It seems that Talktalk are not interested in legacy emails with other providers they have taken over. Dsl.pipex has had numerous problems over the past few months and sporadically before that.  
I still seem to be missing emails as volume is only about 40 to 50 percent of normal but obviously no idea what I have missed.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Agreed, it is a major hassle trying to make sure you change anything which may be registered using your email address.

The problem with "free" services like gmail is that there is no guarantee that they won't stop the service or start charging. Look at what happened with Photobucket, and all the Yahoo mailing lists recently had to find another home when Yahoo shut down the service. 

Meanwhile, Service Status still reports no issues with email, which apparently means they still haven't accepted that the problem even exists.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

I have suspected that I have continued to not receive some emails since the major outage 2 weeks ago. Today I am as certain as I can be that this is so as I have not received 3 regular daily emails from the FT which I know others have gotten.

Whilst I readily accept the FT is not infallible it is clear from numerous threads on this forum that TT have made some changes that are affecting many senders emails causing non-delivery to TT mailboxes (on any of their domains)..

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

You guys may wish to consider having your own domain name. It's cheaper than you think - go to Fasthosts. It's what I did, then you will have a permanent address forever.

It will not matter which ISP you have, or change to, as you have your mails forwarded. That's how I know that during the recent outage, we all had mails missing, as I have mail forwarded to 2 addresses (as Pipex fails so often), and it was all received at one address, but none at my Pipex address.

Having a permanent address (e.g. Fred@Smith123.co.uk) gives you a lot of freedom and no ISP ties.

Of course initially, and gradually, you would have to tell everyone of your new address to use, but you can do that as slow as you wish and it will only be once.

Highlighted

There's been a trial of new mail filters running over the last few weeks. I'm told that has now ended and if I'm right this may and I say may fix the problems with mail not arriving. If you don't start to see those expected mails soon then please let me know.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Those mails which didn't arrive during the last problem, have still never arrived.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@OCE_Ady wrote:

There's been a trial of new mail filters running over the last few weeks. I'm told that has now ended and if I'm right this may and I say may fix the problems with mail not arriving. If you don't start to see those expected mails soon then please let me know.

Ady

Why are these things not tested properly before going live? I am fed up being used as a guinea pig by TalkTalk.

Yesterday I received confirmation from the Financial Times that they were indeed getting bouncebacks on their daily emails to me. I have received these emails for several years and cant understand how your filters could block emails from such an esteemed news organisation.

Finally, were these filters responsible for the email outage of Friday 16th or was that a separate incident and what is the fate of those lost emails ?

Highlighted

I've had confirmation from the email team. The mail lost during the incident will not be received. They were not subject to the trial it was a failure on the mail network and all senders received undelivered messages. 

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get you an answer.

Ady

Highlighted
Enlightened One

Thank you @OCE_Ady for finally getting an answer for us on the lost email incident. I don't blame you in this but I really do not understand why it took 2 weeks for the Email Admins to respond.

On Monday I was due an email from British Gas which I never received. Today I received the information from them in the post, something I know they do when email fails. So I assume this is another instance of the 'new filters trial'.blocking genuine email. First it was the Financial Times and now British Gas which I find incredible.

Highlighted

If it was the trial causing the problem that shouldn't happen further. If not then I'll raise a ticket for you as I've started to do with others as the group option isn't working for us. 

Ady