Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pipex emails some are not getting through to me

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi,I am very concerned that the number of emails that I receive as a Pipex dsl.com user is much less than  it used to be.No errors ,I just dont know for sure what gets to me and and what I may miss.To me this seems to date from around the last big server crash on the  17/1/2020 re my posts as follows

Same old problem Pipex email failure  While many emails get through many do not, for example from companies such as Robert Dyas and Ebay.uk which used be  daily.I have altered nothing with these senders or with Talktalk and it would seem that some thing is stopping or filtering them on the TalkTalk servers .Assistance would be most welcome please from the OCEs and experts who view this.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi florat, if you send to yourself do those mails get through? Are you aware of any senders getting bounce back messages?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I have a dsl.pipex.com address and haven't particularly noticed missing emails but I know from the forum others have.

For what its worth I have just found out that an email from a friend with an aol.com domain name bounced earlier. His second attempt got through.

Also my wife has just found out one of her pipex emails to a regularly used btinternet address she sent two days ago bounced back with a time out.

I thought these problems had been sorted out?

When are we going to get the much promised transfer to a new server that is supposed to solve all our problems? I got emails last year to say it was imminent in a few weeks!

Highlighted

Hi GEG63, the migration has been paused and as yet we've been given no clue to the date it will recommence.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Wizz Kid

Hi Ady thanks for the response.In answer  test messages sent by me to me come through within some 30 seconds.I have no knowledge of senders getting bounce back or other error messages.I notice from reading this forum that glassman999 mentions a similar situation in which he thinks that he receives much fewer emails than previously.

Highlighted

The more bounce backs I can get hold of the better case we have with the email admins. 

Ady

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hello Gondola,I posted a plea for help earlier this week in the email help forum  and this morning on reading your advice to another user tried your link to https://mxtoolbox.com/deliverability   with the below result. Could ths be a factor in my problem and what can I do.In addition would you advocate trying  turning off my router and back on again to get a new IP address that is not on "ze list".This is very much "sorcerers apprentice" territory to to me and I would be most grateful if you have time to impart some words of wisdom.I am of the opinion that this might be your area of expertise.

Domain: dsl.pipex.com

Sender's IP: 212.74.114.22

DNS Record Status
Source Status
DMARC

SPF

Blacklists
Listed Status
BACKSCATTERERListed
SORBS SPAMListed

ave time to impart some words of wisdom

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi florat 

Yes, your IP address is on a SORBS SPAM single address blacklist whereas sender IP addresses in the same range but ending 20 and 21 are clean.

So, to answer your question, yes switching the router off for a minimum of 30 minutes to ensure a new session is started may result in a new IP address being assigned that's not on a spam blacklist. No guarantee that a new IP address will be given or that it's clean but it's an easy option to try.

But...whilst improving your deliverability of mail to your recipients it's unlikely to have any bearing on your pipex mailbox not receiving specific mail messages.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Having had some intermittent problems with emails I tried using the mxbox deliverability tool (which is impressive!). I also found  the IP address (212.74.114.22) I was using was  listed as spam in BACKSCATTER & SORBSPAM . However all the other checks on the other (many) blacklisting sites were clear.

Is this IP address that of my router or that of the TalkTalk server to which I am connected? If it's the latter then presumably rebooting the router is unlikely to have any effect as I will probably end up connecting to the same server which presumably has a fixed IP address.

It also of course depends on whether whoever I am sending emails to uses these particular two blacklist services or whether they use one of the ones that list it as clear..

Highlighted
Community Star

Ah, well spotted @GEG63 the IP address quoted isn't the public IP address issued to the router it's actually the smtp-out-mk-2.talktalk.net server. Which means that currently there is a reputation issue for that outgoing server.

However, it doesn't change the issue that emails aren't being received.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Gondola I Just spotted your reply.

I found out it's a TalkTalk (formerly Tiscali) legacy server in London. Looking back on old posts this problem with blocking of this IP address has been going on for some time- particularly with the two blacklisting sites mentioned.

Presumably rebooting the router will not get on to another server with an unblocked IP address.Is that the case?

I imagine now, for understandable practical reasons, TalkTalk has put all pipex emails through the same server as it was supposed to move to a new server ages ago.

If not we are stuck with one server which is blocked by some ISPs/organisations.

I had this problem several years ago before I retired. I worked for a NHS organisation and needed to email colleagues at several UK hospitals from home on work related matters. One Trust had decided to buy into one particular blacklisting software company that decided to block a number of TalkTalk server IP addresses so my emails bounced back until eventually it was sorted out. Of course if the blacklisting software company hits problems then mega problems can arise worldwide if they go down or are attacked by hackers.