Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Problem accessing tiscali email

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have 3 “tiscali.co.uk” e- mail addresses two work in Microsoft outlook one does not and I can’t change the password on it from my talktalk account it tells me to try again later, but I can change the other two All are on a pop3 account.

In outlook it says server has rejected it because of wrong address or password, I have tried all sorts of repairs and resets even deleted the account and reinstalled it, still no joy.

if I download my mail on my I-pad then All three accounts work OK but on the iPad they are downloaded on a imap account.

All three accounts have worked perfectly for years downloading either on ipad or on PC using outlook waiting for talktalk technician to ring me ( have had problem for 3-4 weeks but have been away on holiday for 10 days so not all talktalk time problem)

Thank You ! Posted By Jimpy From Staffordshire
Community Star

Hi @jimpy 

You've done some great troubleshooting so far and confirmed for me that:

a) there's still an issue with MyAccount and the Change Password function and

b) that the main problem is with a corrupt password or settings in Outlook

The mailboxes and their passwords, as used on the iPad, are clearly good for all 3 email addresses.  It's the same mailbox and password whether you use POP3 or IMAP communication to and from the mail server.

To take the troubleshooting a stage further, I'd like you to sign in to TalkTalk Mail and ensure you can sign in to the mailbox and send a message to the same mailbox to check that both send and receive are working. 

Then I'd like you to check your Reset details are set up.

Menu options - Update your reset details

The Reset details will then enable you to get the password reset either via an SMS text to a mobile 'phone or an emailed link sent to an alternate email address. The alternate email address journey is the recommended password reset route.

Then I'd suggest that you remove the email account from Outlook and set it up afresh using these IMAP settings:

The secure Tiscali email settings you need are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Login / Username username@tiscali.co.uk
Password Yes
Incoming mail server imap.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security SSL
Outgoing mail server smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security STARTTLS
Require Authentication Yes

NB Do not use SPA (Secure Password Authentication).

Let us know that you've got all 3 mailboxes working or if not where you're now at.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola,

many thanks for your reply and suggestions I am using Microsoft 2010 (Outlook) I had thought about deleting all e-mails and changing them to imap but not sure imap will work in outlook 2010 so didn’t want to try it in case I ended up with NO emails working, not sure outlook will except imap accounts, I have used the auto repair option in outlook, reinserted the password and names and still will not work.

I do understand whether it’s a pop3 or imap the passwords and server are the same that’s what confuses me!

I am willing to try your suggestions but what if I just change the mail that’s not working (can you have a pop3 and imap running together in outlook? ) at least that way I’ve still got two accounts working.

All the accounts on my iPad are imap as it does not support pop3 and all 3 work correctly.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi jimpy 

Outlook 2010 does support IMAP.

• Incoming server (IMAP), port 993 and make sure Use the following type of encrypted connection: drop-down box is set to SSL
  • Outgoing Server (SMTP), port 587 and make sure the Use the following type of encrypted connection: drop-down box is set to STARTTLS

It is possible to use a client set up for POP3 and a client set up for IMAP on the same mailbox.  In that scenario it would be usual for the POP3 client not to delete messages on the server.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sorry about the delay in answering back 

A tech guy from Talktalk spoke to me Sept 27 gave me some instructions how to reset my password and said he would ring back Tuesday oct 1 

I tried to reset but just could not get it working no matter what i did, Tech guy phoned as promised and talked me through the whole process of resetting the password it now is working perfectly, many thanks to Talktalk technical for a perfect result and helping every step of the way and making sure it was working correctly before ringing off, again many thanks to all.

When i reset the email address it logged on as a imap address (Working OK) i have changed it to Pop 3 and it is still working OK so very happy Bunny (The Boss SHMBO is also happy as her mail is working again)   

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Jimpy

There are great technical support people in TalkTalk which may surprise some. Thanks for coming back and confirming both you and your Director of Domestic Affairs are happy.

Enjoy your weekend.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes totally agree with you Gondola there certainly are some very good chaps in talktalk we shouldn’t judge everyone the same just because of a previous bad experience.

looking forward to having cooked meals again !!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jimpy, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi  OCE_Ady,

Thank you to Everyone who helped in sorting my problem,  All still OK.

What a Great community always someone to help you in sorting problems or making suggestions 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Thanks for your kind words.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.