Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Receiving mail but it is hidden somewhere in wrong folder

4 REPLIES 4
polarbear99
Chatterbox

I had a problem with my email due to my (valid) password not being recognised. This was resolved by tech. support doing some reset of my account which allowed a new password to be set without using the old one.

My email now works and the progress box shows send & receive completed.  However, nothing appears in my inbox.  I see in the email set-up dialogue panel now that I have two email delivery folders which are   xxxx.talktalk.net and xxxx.talk.net(1).  The first one has a little home symbol and can be expanded to show all my usual subfolders. The second one has a subfolder labelled “inbox” which cannot be expanded.   Trying to drag the “inbox” to the other folder does not work.

I am using POP3 email in Windows10 with Outlook and only Talktalk broadband and email

I have now got lots of emails received and hidden somewhere in a folder which I cannot find.  Can someone please advise me how to find the missing emails and how to fix it so they come to the usual folder in future?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @polarbear99 

Your Outlook email client appears to have two Outlook data files or profiles associated with it. A profile may be corrupted (fairly common with Outlook especially large data files with a lot of emails).

Without being hands on and knowing what's happened I cannot give you precise advice on what to do without loss of your mail messages.

Heads up that a POP3 mail client will interact only with the online Inbox. It will not download to sub-folders so those are in Outlook only. What you see online will also depend on the delete settings set up in Outlook. Never delete means Inbox mail messages will still be on the mail server.  But downloading and deleting or deleting after a set time will mean few messages will be viewable on the mail server's mailbox Inbox.

So, the troubleshooting involves disconnecting your Outlook email client so it's not communicating with the online mailbox. Take Outlook offline.

Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know of any error message, or if the self-sent mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.

Look at the Folder structure in the folder view left side panel.

Folder Tree Folder View Aug2020.png

If there's an inward facing arrowhead on any folder then select that to show sub-folders.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

polarbear99
Chatterbox

I was intending to set up a new computer to replace this old one so I think I will do that and perhaps need to get back to you if the problem persists.  Thanks for the prompt response.

Gondola
Community Star

You're welcome. Here for you when you need us.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi polarbear99, thanks for letting us know. Please let us know how you get on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.