would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Register Email Address to My Account

13 REPLIES 13
ensign
Team Player

Hello,

A year ago my mother died and her telephone was transferred to me under a new account number. The old account had five linked emails which I used.  This year I started getting emails  (addressed to my mother by name, but I have always operated the online side of the account), which said the emails will be suspended unless they are linked to a phone account. So I tried to do so.

Using myaccount to do this, I got an error message saying it could not be done now, try again later. So I did. Eventually I phoned and talked for 1.5 hours to two operators, who failed to solve the problem and asked me to wait  a day and ring again.

I waited and rang again, a few days later. After another hour the issue was escalated, and I was told I would hear within a week.

I got a quick email back which said,"The preferred email address is our legacy email address and this means that our tiscali and talktalk.net can not be updated on the system as we have upgraded our systems over the year"

I found that incomprehensible so rang again. In my next nearly two hour conversation with two operators, I gathered that the emails were no longer linked to my mother's old account (which was one idea I had), and that the operator was unable to perform linking the emails by doing it herself at her console. She tried, with the password I supplied, and found it just didnt work.

She advised me to ring again tomorrow.

Since then I have tried creating a completely new email from scratch - the email I got from technical services talked about problems with legacy emails.  No good either. I get a different error message, but it still says please try again later.

Looking on here I see it has been suggested this might be to do with browsers. Today I have used two different browsers on two different comuters and no luck. But if the operator couldnt do it with her computer, it isnt a problem with mine.

So anyone know whats going wrong with linking talktalk emaol accounts to a talktalk phone account?

There are no emails currently linked, just 5 empty slots waiting filling.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @ensign 

There are always potential problems for email users when the person registered for the MyAccount passes away.  The email addresses cannot be removed from the MyAccount and given to someone else because of Data Protection Legislation. The contents of the mailboxes are assumed to contain data personal to the registered person associated with MyAccount. 

The Data Protection Team are your best friends in this circumstance because if you show that the mailbox or mailboxes have exclusively been used by you then they'll assign them to you. Otherwise they will automatically go into suspension after 6 months and flagged for deletion after a year.

The article Access information we hold on you gives details for contacting the Data Protection Team.

And that's the other reason for not being able to add a mailbox to your MyAccount - it's not on the active database or has been suspended because the password is weak or locked because suspicious activity has been detected. 

Can we clarify something first. You say the telephone was transferred to you.  Do you mean just a telephone service or a full broadband and phone line service at her home address?

Maybe you're at the same address as your late mother and the TalkTalk account was transferred to you by the Bereavement team. That would be normal.

Or are you at a different address with your own TalkTalk broadband and phone service. Asking so it's clear what the physical situation is about the address(es) where the MyAccount(s) is/are registered. But don't post any actual address(es).

In a MyAccount you can create up to 5 new talktalk.net mailboxes.  You cannot create any used elsewhere or recreate deleted mailboxes.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

ensign
Team Player

Hi gondola, thanks for replying.

I have continued to use the email accounts as previously. The only issue I have seen online is if you have the passwords, as obviously I do, then I am the owner. But also as executor of the estate I am entiled to property of the deceased, including email accounts.I also had the relevant permission and passwords to operate the account by telephone while my mother was alive.

No one has raised this as an issue. If it is an issue, shoudn't thay have said this was the case? How would I find out?

"And that's the other reason for not being able to add a mailbox to your MyAccount - it's not on the active database or has been suspended because the password is weak or locked because suspicious activity has been detected. "

Again, no one has suggested this might be an issue despite four hours on the phone. I can say the emails are active as I have been using them for a year, well many years altogether.

However, I did come across this issue of weak passwords after I tried to reactivate my account here, which I havnt used for years, and it refused to let me in because although I knew the password, it was now considered too weak. But this does not seem to be happening to the email accounts, aand indeed having changed one of them to the current specification, it hasnt made any difference.

Both telephone and broadband have been tranferred to me. It is the same address and same phone number.

"In a MyAccount you can create up to 5 new talktalk.net mailboxes. You cannot create any used elsewhere or recreate deleted mailboxes."

Well no, I cannot create any new mailboxes. I tried. It isnt just a problem that I cannot transfer in my old ones, I cannot create any new ones either.  Although I first thought this a problem to do with the history of the accounts, since it now appears I cannot create and link a new account either, it is maybe more likely a problem about the account. There are currenly no linked emails, five empty slots.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi ensign 

Nice clarification of the situation. I've alerted the TalkTalk team about the inability to create any new talktalk.net mailboxes.  This was an issue a few weeks ago and I thought the MyAccount team had fixed it. So the first objective is to get that fixed for you.

You're wrong about an Executor having the right to the personal data comprised in an email address formerly used by a deceased person.  Data Protection Rules apply so to positively clarify this aspect I feel you must talk to the Data Protection Team. 

If you show that an email address has been exclusively used by you then no problem as they'll assign that email address for your use.

So whilst you're sorting out the usage of existing email account with Data Protection the TalkTalk team supporting us here will look at the MyAccount and Create a TalkTalk Mailbox issue. 

ensign
Team Player

Hello Gondola,

To be clear, the email accounts in question were created by me, operated by me and have never been used by anyone else, so all personal data and data rights would be mine.

As to the rights of a deceased person, the law is always a minefield, but  a quick google suggests that on the death of a person any information about them ceases to be personal information in the sense that it is privileged and protected by various laws. Only informaion about living people can legally be personal information.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi ensign

@ensign wrote: ...To be clear, the email accounts in question were created by me, operated by me and have never been used by anyone else....

You just need to demonstrate those facts to be assigned the email address(es). Shouldn't be a problem.

To be clear, only a living person can request their own personal data. Even an executor of an estate cannot automatically take over or see the contents of a deceased person's email account because those contents can include communication to and from identifiable living persons and as such the release may breach the Data Protection rights of others. 

The Data Protection Team will clearly not be aware if an individual has set out not to share for personal reasons the contents of an email account. However, if the individual has pre-arranged in writing to share or release personal data that's another matter.

Community Team

Hi ensign,

I can see Gondola has pointed you in the right direction. Just a quick question, do you know the passwords to the email accounts (I assume you do)?

Chris

ensign
Team Player

Yes. And I also just received you email on one of those accounts telling me you had posted a reply here.

Community Team

OK thanks Ensign. OCE_Ady is back tomorrow, he probably knows more about the right course of action here so I'll ask him and get back to you

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi ensign, I've sent you a personal message to obtain the necessary information to process this for you.

Ady

ensign
Team Player

Do you mean you have sent  a message on the email address I have recorded against my ID here?

Am I supposed to reply to the address from which that message came? The one which begins no-reply? <no-reply@community-notifications.talktalk.co.uk> ?

ensign
Team Player

Incidentally, I have also been trying to sort this out by telephoning your help line. After I had talked to them for about 5 hours in three separate calls, they passed the matter to someone who is now corresponding by email. I post their most recent reply:

Response By Email (Nokwanda Nkhahle) (24/10/2019 08.30 AM)

Hello David,

Thanks for contacting us about MyAccount.

Unfortunately the you can not create a new email address as it is one of our legacy email address which means they system do not allow those email address.

If you have questions about anything else, feel free to get back to us.

I think this is quite bonkers. what in earth is it supposed to mean? I asked why I cannot create a new talktalk email address and link it to my myaccount as one of the 5 allowed.

And a previous reply:

Subject: MyAccount
Question Reference #: 191009-000778
Date Created: 09/10/2019 04.46 PM
Response
By Email (Nokwanda Nkhahle) (18/10/2019 08.29 AM)
Hello David,

Thanks for contacting us about My. 

We do apologize for the inconvenience, yes we do have a problem with updating the talktalk.net email address and unfortunately the issue can not be fixed. Kindly please use other resources such as Google to create a new email address.

If you have questions about anything else, feel free to get back to us

Which both just led me to ask what on earth the messages meant (and I dont mean the bad grammar and missing words) .I still dont know. I wrote back pointing out you provide 5 emails as part of the contracted services you are providing, so I really did no understand why i was being asked to use google emails.

Community Team

Hi ensign, I've resent the private message as I'm not sure you had it the first time. To reply to the personal message look up to the right and click in the white envelope in the top right corner. 

It's clear from the email you've pasted in that the agents haven't understood that you're trying to migrate them over rather than create them anew. 

ensign
Team Player

This was two from a sequence of emails. It followed 5 hours on the phone where i explained to 2 people each time in three conversations what I wanted. The people who answered said exactly the same things each time, which became very wearing since each insisted in talking me through trying to connect an email each time. This was a waste of my time and theirs. I assume they were following a computer script, since they did the same things each time, and it patently misses the point of my problem.  Most of my time was spent listening to music, while I hope they were trying to read what the computer was telling them so as to try to answer. Otherwise they were either making themselves tea, or talking to several people at once.

This was all ridiculous because it is plainly costing talktalk money to have people talk nonsense to me.