cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Same old problem Pipex email failure

19 REPLIES 19
Wizz Kid

I cannot get past authorisation problems this morning 17/1/2020 ( just sticks on authorising stage)to check for new email as a Pipex dsl.com user. Have been trying since 6.20 am today and still not working at 7.25 am.Repeated pop ups for username and password . Help from Oce Ady needed please.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Same here.

Can't get into webmail either

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Same for me also, appears both POP and SMTP servers have crashed out again, this was at 0805Hrs 17/1/20.

Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 08.08.42.png

Would appreciate if an OCE could chase this issue.

Many thanks.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi  Yes...same here.  Cannot access Pipex Webmail on either Windows 10 or Android.  I am also having problems downloading emails via POP, associated with the 'usual' range of error messages.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Latest error message as follows at 8.30 am today 17/i/20 Unable to send or receive messages for the Dsl.pipex  account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10053

Highlighted
Participant

Same here, again. Problem started late last night.

Service status dashboard says all fine, of course.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I'm now getting  - Cannot connect to the server - messages
And my backdoor Webmail login to Pipex seems to have stopped working & does not recognise my password, which really isn't good!

Highlighted
Participant

It just worked OK for me (POP client on Windows) after being unresponsive for around 10 hours.

Thanks if anyone at TT did some magic to wake it up again.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

The email admins have just replied to my message this morning to let me know that the mail issues should have cleared now. 

Ady

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

@OCE_Ady 

I can report mine is back up and running again when last checked an hour ago, but this was a strange one and not the usual POP issue, both outgoing and incoming went down and from what others have stated Webmail also failed to respond.

When you have a moment any chance of an update as to why this happened and when will the much publicised Pipex migration be completed, had notice stating it was imminent but that was before Xmas and as today has proved issues still ongoing.

Thanks as always.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

It's bad enough that there was no email service available but I understand that any emails sent to me during that period will never be delivered. Can @OCE_Ady confirm please and I will start contacting all my contacts to ask them to resend anything that they sent me.

Really isn't good enough that I have to ask this question. If email have been discarded/lost then we should be alerted to it.

Troglodyte
Highlighted

I'm still waiting for a reply to my question about the missing/backlogged email

Ady

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Email seems to be working again when checked at 2.30 pm.At what point did TalkTalk acknowledge that the problem existed and what caused it this time.Service status as usual did not show the fault.As the original poster reporting it at 7.30 am as far as I can see nobody replied to  say we are aware or dealing with it.When will migration to the new system take place as email notification was received on 9/12/19 saying a few weeks time.

Highlighted

I got acknowledgment at 10.43. I've not been given a root cause for the issue. I'd guess it's the usual issue that mailboxes with simple passwords that have been compromised are then used to attempt authentication to send spam and the massive numbers of authentications cause what is basically a denial of service attack. 

Ady

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

@OCE_Ady 

Hi Ady,

Thanks for passing on what you do have and for your guess as to why it happened or keeps happening.

But could you confirm that following the eventual migration over to the new mail platform this sort of issue will be a thing of the past, and also when will that happen for us Pipex users.

Sorry to put you on the spot but I believe we have all now had the marketing messages in our inbox regarding the new service, mine was early Dec 2019 stating it was just a few weeks a way.

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 08.21.31.png

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 08.22.00.png

If the migration has in fact occurred but Pipex customers are still experiencing these issues then what is the next move?

I note from the above that user email experience is now important to TalkTalk, I would suggest that still remains to be addressed for Pipex customers.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Hi SiHancox, I can confirm that this type of issue will cease once the migration is completed. The reason I can say that is that on the new platform your email password has to be more secure, you'll have easy access to change it regularly and also because once off the years old legacy platform you're on a state of the art platform, that is far more easily managed and supported.  Just to try and illustrate the difference it's like having an old 70's car and then swapping to a present day vehicle the only similarity is the number of wheels and the purpose, in every other respect they have nothing in common. 

Ady

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thank you for the reply  Ady in part,So  to recap we dont know what caused the problem,just a guess,no answer to when migration is taking place.and the really annoying one as follows.We are frequently told on this forum to start our own thread to to get faults sorted.This I did in this case and got nothing from the Talktalk side to acknowledge that my problem had been noted and was in hand or acted upon since my  initial post at 7.30am on Friday last.Service staus gave no hint of problems at all.To me at the moment reliable email communication is essential as I am undergoing  health problems and due for a major operation in a few weeks time.Thank goodness the phone still works.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

@OCE_Ady 

Hi Ady,

Thanks for taking the time to confirm and reassure that the new platform should resolve this very old ongoing Pipex issue.

I appreciate these “fraudulent” accounts that probably trigger the issue are not of TalkTalk’s making, but we must accept having old infrastructure hasn’t enabled the problem to be managed in the best way possible, here’s hoping the new system will give you guys the right tools to defeat this annoyance once and for all.

The only unanswered question that remains, when will Pipex accounts get migrated, it must be imminent due to the notices, but could you kindly narrow that down a little please.

Again, thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us the low down on what’s happening behind the scenes, it much appreciated.

Have a great day.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

@florat wrote:

...We are frequently told on this forum to start our own thread to to get faults sorted.This I did in this case and got nothing from the Talktalk side to acknowledge that my problem had been noted and was in hand or acted upon...

Hi @florat 

I can’t comment regarding your other questions but I’ve found it’s been normal practice for a while now with this particular type of issue (ie. Pipex server down) for OCE’s to just get on and sort the problem out as quickly as possible, after all it’s a “known” issue due to it’s frequent occurrence so they don’t really require any further information.

That’s what appears to have happened in this instance, namely an acknowledgement of “sorted” (ie. post 9) before an OCE would have had a chance to confirm the original problem post.

Must admit, from my perspective I would much prefer they concentrated on getting us up and running as quickly as possible (as they have done) than spending time with acknowledgements, but that’s just my view.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

SiHancox,In response to your view I would say how are TalkTalk supposed to know about problems unless we inform them?.In many cases they are unaware and service status also says all is well when it obviously is not.A reply on the lines of "Thank you for drawing this problem to our attention,we will investigate and rectify ASAP. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by our failure  of service" would do the trick.We as the customer and they as the provider would then both be in the loop .So I think that you and I differ in our views on this one.