Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Searching for emails

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
First Timer

I need to find some urgent work-related emails from last year but when I use search function only emails from past week or so show-up.  Am I right in thinking they will still be held/searchable on talktalk server even though I have downloaded emails to outlook?

How do I search for emails for a certain time period

many thanks

Jo

Community Star

Hi @gotty 

Mail messages will remain on the server until deleted by the user or email client settings. If Outlook is set up as an IMAP email account then mail messages are left on the server. If Outlook is set up as a POP3 email account then mail messages will be downloaded and deleted according to the Outlook settings. Leave a copy of the message on the server, and, Delete after (a user specified time period) for example 7 days or 14 days or 30 days or never.

Searches in TalkTalk Mail are very useful. You can enter the timeframe, say 2019 and you'll get options for the search and therefore select 2019 as date and the folder you're searching will present all emails for that date. Or, for example enter March 2019 and select the option March 2019 as date and be presented with just those mail messages for that month. 

If you know the subject title or something in the body you can search for that 'as subject' or 'in email text' etc

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks  Gondola  - I understand talktalkwebmail is a pop3 account but will need to change to IMAP so it works across various devices I have. Need to work out how to do this.

Please can you let me know how I search for 2019 emails.  I have looked but its not obvious/can't find this option

Many thanks

Jo

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @gotty 

TalkTalk Mail (webmail) accessed via an Internet browser and the TalkTalk Mail sign in here operates as an IMAP connection. i.e. what's on the mail server in your mailbox is what you see via the Internet browser.

To change the email account on Outlook from a POP3 email account to an IMAP account requires:

• You to backup or save your wanted and downloaded mail messages
    Otherwise you risk losing them when you do the next thing
  • Remove your POP3 mail account from Outlook
  • Add the IMAP mail account to Outlook

When you sign in to TalkTalk Mail you'll see the Search box at the top of the Folder View below the TalkTalk logo.

Folder Tree

Highlighted
First Timer

thanks for clarifying @Gondola .  I have spent time searching for emails from June/July 2019 and unfortunately I can't see the emails I'm looking for.  All the emails that came up on search for this time period originated from sent, trash,spam, or specific folders. The emails I'm looking for would have just been in the general in-box i.e. not filed to a specific folder.  

How can I find these?  Will they reside somewhere else?

thanks again

Jo

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi gotty 

If you've searched in the online TalkTalk mailbox in the standard folders you've mentioned plus any personal My Folders then the only remaining option is if you created Archive folders. At the bottom of the standard folders is an Archive organised into year by year sub-folders. The user would have to have selected mail messages to be filed into the Archive.

Other than the online Archive the main place to look would be in the POP3 Inbox of the device you were using at the time when that device was downloading mail messages.

There is no backup service offered by TalkTalk.  You need to find the message in either the online mailbox or on the device or any local backup.