Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sending/receiving emails on third device

ANSWERED
10 REPLIES 10
Popular Poster

Hi all,

I can send/receive emails on a computer and iPad - no problem.

I have recently replaced the iPad with a second one. Both iPads are set up identically, but the new iPad can neither send or collect emails.

My TalkTalk account is set up as POP3 and not IMAP, (if this has any relevance).

Can anybody help?

Thank-you, in advance.

Community Star

That is your problem, POP3 stores emails on the device which is fine if you only use one device ever to access your emails. IMAP, on the other hand, holds your emails on the TalkTalk server, allowing any device to access them. You should, therefore, be using IMAP on all devices.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Popular Poster

Thank-you for your quick reply.

Why is it that I can currently pick up the same emails whenever I like, on both my computer and my iPad if POP3 is only suitable for using with one device?

Enlightened One

POP3 can be configured to 'leave a copy of message on server'. This would mean messages are not deleted when downloaded and therefore still available to another device. Is that perhaps how your devices have been set up?

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
Popular Poster

Hi Steve,

It is currently figured to ‘leave a copy of messages on the server’ for 14 days.

Does this just enable one other device to collect them?

I have also been unable to send messages with the second iPad.

I receive a message ‘ Cannot Send Mail ‘ ‘ The sender address was invalid ‘.  ( This happens on all email addresses that I send to ).

Thanks

Enlightened One
Solution

@Unique2 wrote:

Hi Steve,

It is currently figured to ‘leave a copy of messages on the server’ for 14 days.

Does this just enable one other device to collect them?

Never heard of any limit on the number of devices that can collect messages from the same mailbox. Provided the devices are similarly set up to leave a copy of messages on the server. As long as no device is downloading and then set to delete them, the messages should remain on the server.

Clearly there is an issue with the settings for your new 3rd device since it can neither send or receive mail at all.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Unique2, the advice you've been given is spot on. Please let us know how you get on setting up the 3rd device again. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Popular Poster

Thanks all for your time and input.

I cracked the problem this morning after further investigation into settings.

On iPad 2 I carried out these two changes:-

1) Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Talktalk Mail > Outgoing Mail Server SMTP > Primary Server smtp.talktalk.net > here I corrected the Username (which was missing) and the Password (which was incorrect).

2) Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Talktalk Mail > Advanced > Incoming Settings > here I had to change the Server Port to 110 ( I think it was 995).

I can now send and receive emails with the new iPad. I hope this can be of help to someone in the future.

Thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to help.

Enlightened One

Glad you found a resolution. Not sure which domain your email address is on (bit after the @ sign) but worth double checking your settings now match the advice given here as its not that common to use port 110.Email-settings 

Did you also set the new Ipad to also leave copies of messages on the server if using POP there too?

Popular Poster

Hi Steve,

My email address is '@talktalk.net'.

The port is set at 110 and is working on all devices.

The instruction to leave messages for 14 days is set in Outlook on my computer.

I am using POP3  and receiving messages on my computer, two iPads and a recently acquired Iphone - 4 devices in total!

It was my understanding that IMAP was required for this?

Thanks

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Unique2, Imap is needed if you want to permanently keep all devices synched with the same mail even if mail is deleted from the servers. POP is old undesirable protocol in the modern age, but is used by many. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.