Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sky can't find TalkTalk DNS server

4 REPLIES 4
pls5wo
First Timer

Hi everyone,

My broadband is through Sky, and I just have an email account with TalkTalk.

Over the last few weeks, I've had many occasions where either TalkTalk won't load at all, or it drops out while I'm using it. It's not a case of not being able to access it at all, but it's very irritating when it drops out when I'm looking at an important mail.

No other website seems to be affected.

A selection of the messages I get:

Mobile phone - "Cannot find the DNS server"

iPad - "Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found".

Brand new Microsoft Surface laptop - "Failed to sign in. An error occurred inside the server which prevented it from fulfilling the request"

Any thoughts as to how I can fix this ??

Much appreciated.

Paul

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Paul

All of the issues you mention are typical broadband connectivity problems. The fail to connect or the drop-out is more commonly associated with Wi-Fi interference. But I wouldn't rule out an Internet Security / Anti virus product from holding up a connection. So, I'd try disabling on a temporary basis any live scanning to see if that improves the reliability.

The error for the Surface laptop is particularly interesting. Fail to sign in because of an internal server error. The error message implies that there's a TalkTalk server error. But there is a 6 second window allowed for sign in authentication. If connectivity issues / scanning issues delay the sign in beyond the 6 second time-out then the sign in authentication server will issue an error.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Secret Squirrel
Team Player

Paul, other Sky broadband users are also having DNS problems when trying to access TalkTalk. so you're not alone. The easiest potential fix is to turn off your router for a few minutes and hope that  it grabs a different DNS server when it reconnects to Sky.

If that doesn't work and you're moderately experienced then assigning different DNS servers in your router will almost certainly fix this issue. Cloudflare and Google have public DNS servers that are reliable and fast.

Or, you could simply wait and hope that Sky fixes this issue.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi both

There is certainly a recent thread on Sky Community where someone reports difficulty but at the same time a Sky Oracle reports no problem accessing TalkTalk via the Sky DNS. 

A router reboot may solve local connectivity issues if there's a Sky router issue or if the local access Sky Edge server has an issue and a different Edge server is selected on reboot but it will not select a different DNS unless that is pre-configured in the router.

Others on Sky are saying no issue.  Some are not using the Sky DNS. The broadband router DNS could be changed as part of troubleshooting to see if that provides an improvement.

Try the secure Quad9 DNS: Primary 9.9.9.9 and Secondary 149.112.112.112 or Google DNS: Primary 8.8.8.8 and Secondary 8.8.4.4 (or a combination of Quad9 as Primary and Google as Secondary)

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi pls5wo, hopefully Gondola has coverted the issues you were having. The TalkTalk mail site is working from all ISPs services and I've tested on multiple mobile networks too and have successfully navigated the webmail pages.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.