cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Some e-mails from TT not getting through - so I HAVE to change my e-m address!

13 REPLIES 13
Dorchester
Conversation Starter

Since last December, I have received regular letters via Royal Mail from TT telling me that despite them sending me an e-mail telling me that my latest bill is now available for me to view in My account, "It looks like  these e-mails have not been getting through to your inbox.  If this carries on, next month we will have to send your bills by post with a paper billing charge of £2 per month”.   (I visit "My Account" regularly, download, check  and file the pdf version of my bill.  I do not need a paper bill as I run a 'paperless' system.  All bills are paid by DD, irrespective of me receiving an e-mail from TT telling me that I can view my latest bill online.)

When I telephone TT Customer Services, I am told to (a) check my 'Trash' folder, (b) check that I have not added TT to my 'blacklist, (c) check the spelling of my e-mail address to ensure that it is correct . . . .  and other basic mundane checks. (I am NOT an IT expert, but am reasonably computer savvy.)

When I inform the CS Advisor that all e-mails from other senders are getting through fine, and that I am receiving other e-mails from TT to the same inbox, they then inform me that they have "recently been having a few problems" with their e-mail servers, and that this should be resolved shortly.  That does not wash with me, for this problem has not been a 'recent' one - it has been going on since last December!

Speaking to a CS Manager, he informed me that the ONLY way to resolve this problem was for me to change my e-mail address to a non-TalkTalk service provider.  I pointed out to him that I receive other e-mails from TT (confirming password changes etc.), and that O2 send be a bill reminder to the same e-mail address each month, plus the fact that and that all my other contacts have no problem sending me e-mails; so the fault must lie with TT.  Why should I change my e-mail address that I have had for over 12 years simply because TT has a problem that it cannot, or does not wish to solve?

After over one hour on the phone, I eventually agreed to give him my company's e-mail address (xxxx@xxxxxxxxx.com), which I am not allowed to use for personal e-mails.  I now have to try and grab the TT e-mail before anyone else sees it, and then forward it to my TT e-mail address before deleting it.

Can any OCE confirm or deny that "The ONLY way to resolve this problem was for me to change my e-mail address to a non-TalkTalk service provider."

I am using "Outlook" as my e-mail client, and the OS is Win 10

Any help regarding this would really be appreciated.

David

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Dorchester 

If TalkTalk advise that they're unable to deliver billing notifications to a TalkTalk Mailbox it's either that the Mailbox is full, corrupted and needing repair or most likely that there's a Blocked Senders Filter that's blocking delivery or not working as expected. If you're receiving other email messages it's most likely to be an active Filter rule like the Blocked Senders Filter carried forward from the former TalkTalk webmail. 

Sign in to TalkTalk Mail > Select Menu - triple line icon top right of header > Select Settings in the drop-down list > Select Mail (or Email) in the left side panel > Select Filter rules > Select Disable against any rules you see there (just temporarily disables rules to troubleshoot).

To manage the MyAccount email address, login to MyAccount and select My Details from the grey header bar and Login details from the drop-down list.

In the top row of the table you'll either see an existing alternative MyAccount email address that you can change by selecting Edit or select Setup to setup an alternative MyAccount email address in place of a TalkTalk email address.

Every TalkTalk customer has up to 5 email addresses so the easiest workaround is to select one of the other 4 mailboxes as your MyAccount email address.

Manage MyAccount email address in MyAccount.png

If you select a different TalkTalk email address as the MyAccount email address then you'll simply be asked to confirm the change. MyAccount Change login email address.png

Just remember that the MyAccount password changes to the TalkTalk email address password when you change to a different TalkTalk email address.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Dorchester
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola,

Many thanks for your reply.  All of the actions that you suggest (and more), have been implemented and tried - but still the situation remains unchanged.

I do not use TT Webmail, but have also checked there and no "Your bill is ready to view online" e-mail arrives there from TT - although others from TT do arrive there - as stated in my original post.

If you read my e-mail, you will see that a CS Manager informed me that the ONLY way to resolve this problem was for me to change my e-mail address to a non-TalkTalk service provider.  He also stated that he "Guaranteed" that this would resolve the problem.  I find it totally unsatisfactory that I have to do this in order to overcome TT's problem, and I would appreciate confirmation from an OCE that this is the only solution to the problem.

Regards,

David

P.S.  The e-mail from TT informing me of your reply to my post came through OK on the original e-mail address that i have used for over 12 years, as do all e-mails from all others who e-mail me using that address.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Dorchester 

Community notifications are sent from: no-reply@community-notifications.talktalk.co.uk

TalkTalk informational emails are sent from: info@consumer.talktalkplc.com

Billing notifications are sent from: yourbill@billing.talktalk.co.uk

MyAccount notifications are sent from: myaccount@talktalk.co.uk

It's quite possible to block one and still receive the others.

What did you find when signing in to TalkTalk Mail and looking in the Filter rules section?  It was quite often found that customers had inadvertently blocked a sender. Not saying that you'll find the same but it's worth double checking.

And yes, I did read your original post and whilst the workaround you've been given will work I do not agree with the CS Manager that it's the solution to the issue.

Which is why I go for step 1 in troubleshooting as disabling all Filter rules in TalkTalk Mail.

And step 2 as selecting a different talktalk.net email address as the MyAccount email address.

Before step 3 which is creating a free gMail account as an alternative email address to setup for MyAccount access, billing and notifications.

Step 1 works in most cases and if it doesn't then a fault ticket can be raised.

Step 2 works in most every case  and in the rare case that it doesn't then a fault ticket can be raised.

I've used an alternative email address until very recently when I changed to using a talktalk.net email address. My billing notification came through without a hitch. I'd expect no different for you.

Dorchester
Conversation Starter

Hi @Gondola 

Many thanks for your further reply.  I only use Outlook as my e-mail client, and when this problem started last December, I checked all of the several filters set in Outlook, and non of them refers to TT in any way.

I Have never used TT Web Mail, but I have checked there to see if any filters had been set.  There were non set at all.

When speaking with the CS Manager on the 'phone yesterday, I asked if switching to one of my other 4 TT e-mail addresses may resolve the problem,but he was totally adamant that the only way to resolve my problem was for me to use a non talktalk e-mail address.  Although I could not grasp the rationale behind his statement, I assumed that, as a TT Manager, he knew what he was talking about, and that he had a better understanding than I did regarding TT's e-mail system.  I therefore reluctantly used my company's e-mail address (which I am not supposed to use for personal e-mails), rather than pay £24 a year for paper bills that I do not want!

The reason for my post is for an OCE to kindly confirm or deny that what I was told is correct.

Thanks once again.

David

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Dorchester

I alerted the OCE Team early on and did ask if they had a way of testing your email address.

They'll certainly respond to you here and give a formal TalkTalk response on the advice. My take, as you know, is that you've not been given incorrect advice just the quick fix advice.

TalkTalk will have been getting bounceback 'undeliverable' error messages from the mailbox which we assume is set up correctly. You've confirmed no filters operating on the TalkTalk mailbox, which is excellent news, but some filters operating at the Outlook email client. No filters relate to TalkTalk is what you've confirmed... but if there was one picking up something, rejecting the email and alerting the Return-Path: email address?

I assume the forwarded emails get through ok?

Dorchester
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola,

Many thanks for your advice and for passing this one on to the OCE Team; it is greatly appreciated.

I fully take on board your comments regarding the filters on my Outlook client, but having checked them thoroughly once again, there is absolutely nothing there that could affect any e-mail emanating from any of the various TalkTalk outbound servers that they use for various categories of mail.

You are correct in assuming that all forwarded e-mails get through to my "original" e-mail address with no problem, as do all e-mails from any other sender - including the one that I have just received from "no-reply@community-notifications.talktalk.co.uk", notifying me of your reply.

Once again, many thanks and best regards,

David

Community Team

Hi David, I've raised this with the billing team previously, I've now copied in everyone else who has input on the mail platform so that I can get to the bottom of this for you. 

Dorchester
Conversation Starter

Hi Ady,

Many thanks for raising this matter with  the team, and I look forward to their response.

Sorry that i did not reply earlier, but have been away from home for the last week.

Thanks and regards,

David

Community Team

You're welcome David. There was a meeting about this last Wednesday, I'm just waiting to find out how we get this sorted for you all. 

Dorchester
Conversation Starter

Hi Ady,

It is now over a month later, and i still haven't heard anything regarding this matter.

Do you have any update on this matter please?

Thanks and regards,

David.

Community Team

Hi David,

I'm sorry for the delay, OCE_Ady is back on Monday so I'll chase this up with him then

Thanks

Chris

Dorchester
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the heads-up on this one.  I look forward to (hopefully) hearing from OCE_Ady sometime next week.

All the best.

David

Community Team