Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Some e-mails not arriving

ANSWERED
39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

For the last fortnight certain e-mails on two of my talktalk accounts have not been arriving, even though I know they have definitely been sent. I've tried everything but don't know what to do. Help!      

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @LindaK 

Taking things step by step, sign in to TalkTalk Webmail and check the Spam and Trash folders.  Do you know how to check if you've got any Filter Rules set to block, discard or divert the incoming emails?

Have you asked the sender or senders if they get a bounceback error message and what that error message is?

You say "certain emails"...is this a single sender? or several?  Is the email from a bulk emailer like a newsletter sender or marketing emails either of which might be blocked as spam?

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add your two talktalk email addresses in Private notes and then the senders' email addresses and then save changes.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I've checked my Spam and Trash folders and nothing has gone in there, and I haven't set any filter rules although I'm afraid I don't know where to check that.

No, the senders haven't received any bounceback error messages.

It is several senders but there is a common link as they are all connected with one organisation, and it looks as if the messages that are being rejected are all ones with attachments rather than just simple messages. I am on the Board of a local theatre and all the attachments are minutes or financial figures that I need for meetings, so it's rather important that I receive them. In desperation I set up a new account for myself on Outlook, and although the messages are turning up on there okay, when I forward them to my TalkTalk accounts they don't arrive. 

All relevant addresses now added to my Personal Profile.

Can I please stress that this has only been happening for the last fortnight or so - prior to that I had no problems at all, even though I have been receiving messages from this organisation for years.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Linda

TalkTalk will now pick this up and investigate.

I take it that emails without attachments from the sender(s) do get through ok and from your new Outlook address? So, it's just identifying what it is about the attachments that is causing the failure.

What does Outlook indicate about the email message size?  Is it over 12MB with the attachments?

What file types are included in the attachments? doc, docx, pdf, xls, xlsm, xlsx or others?

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes, e-mails without attachments seem to be getting through, although of course I wouldn't necessarily know if something had been sent unless I was expecting it, so I can't be certain. My Outlook address is very new and as yet nothing without an attachment has been sent from any of those addresses.

I'm afraid I haven't kept the other e-mails and attachments so I can't tell you the size, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been as large as 12MB.Mostly they're doc, docx and xls.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

You'll be astounded how big a simple word doc can be once the mail headers and footers etc have been added to it. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I've asked for some of the lost messages to be re-sent, then I'll be able to tell you the size.

Highlighted

Please let us know as soon as you can. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, One of the messages that was sent to me on Tuesday had an xlsx attachment that was 63kb in size. That and one of the other addresses I have given you have also in the last couple of days sent me messages without attachments and they haven't come through either. I asked for one of the messages with an attachment to be sent to me again at my two TalkTalk addresses plus my new one on Outlook, but it only came through on the latter.

Highlighted

All those addresses are still able to send you mail without attachments?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No, they're not coming through either.

Highlighted

Ok, then I need you to check the mail filters you have set and make sure they're not blocked and that you've not got your own email address in the list. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sorry, I don't know how to do that or where to find the filters.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Okay, found the filters now and I can confirm that I have nothing set.

Highlighted

Are the senders getting TT-*** error messages telling them that the mail has been rejected?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No, they're not. Actually I thought you had fixed the problem, as on Friday I asked one of the senders to put through e-mails to me both with and without attachments, and they all came through okay. Having said that though, a further message sending me something via Dropbox only arrived in my Outlook address and not to either of my TalkTalk ones.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello again, I can confirm now that although at the weekend my e-mails both with and without attachments started coming through again from the addresses I told you about, they are now no longer doing so and the problem has definitely not been fixed. Can you please continue to investigate what is going wrong?

Highlighted

Hi LindaK, I'll have to get a fault ticket raised for you. Do you have a mobile and if you do please add it to your community profile so that I can get this sorted for you. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks. I rarely use or even switch on my mobile so no point in adding the number.

Highlighted

I've raised the fault ticket for you. Please let us know how you get on.