Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Spam

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Participant

Hi everyone, hope someone can help, its spam you see, it's driving me crazy!

Every day when I log onto my webmail about 90% of the messages are spam, clogging up the inbox, bitcoin, CBD oil, competition wins, product tester, more bitcoin, exclusive offers, investment opportunities , more bitcoin and even messages from fake talk talk. And did I mention the bitcoin?

How do I stop this? I try unsubscribing to the emails, I try marking as spam and deleting, nothing seems to work. On the verge of getting shot of this email address and starting afresh, but I have the feeling that it won't be long before it slowly but surely starts up again. 

Can anyone help, please? 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @stoopy 

Your email address is known to multiple spammers. Giving your email address only to wanted contacts is the way to keep it out of the hands of spammers... until one of your contacts has a data breach.  You can find out about known large data breaches at haveibeenpwned.com and if on entering your email address the page turns red there will be the name(s) of each data breach. Let us know the name(s) of the data breache(s) for further advice.

Unsubscribing to spam is never the thing to so as this confirms to spammers that your email address is active. You'll just get more spam from more spammers as the spammers usually share active email addresses. So, unfortunately, you've actively invited more spam.

Once your email address is so widely known it's a relentless task to stop spam being sent to you. 

To completely avoid the unsolicited mail you can migrate your contacts to use a new talktalk.net address for a mailbox created in your MyAccount. Delete the old email address and mailbox when your contacts are all using the new mailbox.

Or set up a simple Filter Rule containing the email addresses of the people and organisations that you want to accept mail from. The Filter Rule does need to be updated when you add new contacts but it's simple to Edit to add a new Condition specifying a new contact email address.

Where to find the Filter Rules:

Filter Rules - Add new rule

Filter rule - Not my contacts

The Filter Rule 'Not My Contacts' as shown will move all mail into the Spam folder that's not sent from any of the email addresses that are listed in the Conditions.  Organisations will usually advise you of the email address to put into your 'Contacts' or Address Book and this is the email address to add as a Condition to the Filter rule to make sure their mail doesn't get sent to the Spam folder.

An extra tip is to untick the Mail display setting to Allow pre-loading of externally linked images.  That means you're not loading or displaying any images in the mail messages that are hosted on external websites that would instantly tell a spammer you have an active mail account.

Allow pre-loading of externally linked images

Tip: Check the Spam folder to see if you have new contacts that you do wish to accept mail from. As you add these to your 'Not My Contacts' Filter rule so you'll need to check the Spam folder less and less. 

Let us know how you get on with just accepting mail from your contacts as we do appreciate feedback.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi stoopy, Gondola's advice is always good. You won't go wrong if you follow it.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Participant

Just to say to anyone looking at this and having the same problems that I did, I used @Gondola advice and set up a filter rule that took a bit of time to set up and now is working very well.

Its so refreshing to look at my inbox without having to wade through all the spam

Thank you @Gondola 

Highlighted
Community Star

Grateful thanks for your feedback.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer