cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TLS/SSL checkbox ticked in account in mac mail

3 REPLIES 3
First Timer

I've reloaded my account on mac mail after deleting all my emails as I reached my mail quota.

Now I can only receive emails and not send.

I have followed strict instructions on the TalkTalk website that the TLS/SSL checkbox should be ticked in my account, but I keep getting the message 'Could not connect to SMTP server, check your network connection' should I untick the TLS/SSL checkbox.

I really think TalkTalk need to verify my account at the server! This is my business email, and it's very frustration as I've had this problem now for a month.

Community Star

Hi @sammyjogogo 

The TalkTalk Mail settings are: Email settings - IMAP & POP3 

The outgoing SMTP server uses port 587

Use TLS/SSL

Authentication is by Password

Advice from Apple

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

First Timer

Hi,

Thank you for the settings... I already have these set-up as the TalkTalk setting on their website but they have't worked for weeks.

I can receive incoming email to my mac mail, but I keep getting the message can't connect to the SMTP server.

I can only thing I can think of is that the TalkTalk server needs to verify me at the server as everything is set-up correctly.

Can you help?

Community Star

Hi @sammyjogogo 

Ah, I think I know what you're asking in relation to server verification / authentication. I'm having to guess based on the limited information.

If so I think you are a TalkTalk Business customer.  Am I right?

You're sending using a personal business domain email address. Am I right?

The TalkTalk Consumer mail servers have never supported the authentication of personal domain email addresses.

The TalkTalk Business mail servers used to support personal mail domains but no longer offer that facility. 

Am I on the right track?

If not, I'll need a bit more information like the sending email domain. The outgoing smtp mail server you're using or at least trying to use.

Screenshots of the outgoing server setup would be useful.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer