cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The server response was: nn2xhV89MMBKQ Authentication Required (TT401)

19 REPLIES 19
neil dishington
Popular Poster

So trying to set up Mac Mail 12.4 OS Mojave, for the first time and keep getting this error message: The server response was: nn2xhV89MMBKQ Authentication Required (TT401)

All settings are correct as confirmed by Technical support and Connection Doc making connection ok.  

Any thoughts please?  Thank you.

Please see attachment of server settings attached.

Moderator Note: Images withheld for customer security.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Neil

On the server Settings tab select Authentication: Password

Are you a TalkTalk customer connected to the TalkTalk broadband network or another network?

Then it would be a good idea to remove the images from your post as that's showing your email address and you really don't need spammers to find that.

Or let me know and I'll remove for you.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi Neil,

I can see Gondola is helping you with this, please let us know if you need any further assistance

Chris

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Thank you for your help and for removing the images.

So when I change authentication to password I get 'Unable to verify username or password.'

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Yes I am a Talk Talk customer.

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Sorry,  correction: Unable to verify account name or password.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Neil

I was wondering if that would be the next step.

When I checked, the email address verified as being good so I'm expecting that you'll confirm both the UKGateway email address and password are totally correct.

If so, despite the email admins telling us that email 'alias' accounts should work, I think yours is an email alias that isn't fully configured on the server.

The workaround is to sign in to TalkTalk Mail using your original UKGateway email address, the 'main' address, as originally given to you. It's that email address that will have a mailbox configured on the server.  All emails to the alias addresses should be received by that main mailbox.

When you can confirm that the TalkTalk Mail sign in is working as expected for both sending and receiving email then let me know.

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Thank you Gondola.

So I sent two separate messages within TT web mail using the 'alias' address and then my personal email.

Both sent successfully but were not received within Web Mail.

However, both were successfully received by Mac Mail.

Still cannot send from Mac Mail. Same error message.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Neil

If you were signed in to TalkTalk Mail using your original UKGateway email address, the 'main' address, as originally given to you, and sent an email to the 'alias' address then that sent message should have been received by the main mailbox Inbox that you were signed in to.

I think the email admins need to take a look so I've requested that to get this fixed.

In the meantime, please check your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) and scroll down to Private notes and include the main UKGateway email address and the alias email address to the Private notes box and Save changes.

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Okay, added those addresses

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Hi,

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 16.55.19.pngso something new now!

I'm trying to log into My Account and repeatedly get this: see screen shot. 

Might be helpful so I can try changing my email password (which might be the source of the original problem perhaps?)

Any thoughts?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Neil

Either the MyAccount system is playing 'hard to get' or the password doesn't meet the rules.

Have a look at the requirements. Specifically must use multicase letters and numbers and allowed symbol(s) for the password.  Multiple words are good to create a memorable password of 12-15 characters.

For example: Neil15aWizard looks good as a password and would take 158 thousand years to crack according to howsecureismypassword. But it would fail the TalkTalk security requirements because there's no symbol.

Neil15@Wizard would pass and take 3 million years to crack.

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Thanks for the Wizard suggestions.. great.. but I'm afraid they still produce the same error message...

...it's trying hard to get obviously...

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Neil

MyAccount is being difficult! It's not got the latest offers for TV boosts either so I think we have to assume there's an issue with updating MyAccount.

If MyAccount doesn't get fixed over the weekend we'll create a new fault report.

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Ok, thank you Gondola.

I'll check back in on Mon.

Community Manager

Hey @neil dishington 

Am i correct in thinking that the error message was displayed when trying to reset your myaccount password? 

If so could you try doing it again using a completely different password, making sure it matches all the criteria and letting us know if you have the same issue. 

Thanks

Community Team

Hi neil,

How are you getting on? Are you still experiencing the same issue?

Thanks

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Hi. Correct. Same issue. Cannot change password on Talktalk Password reset screen.

neil dishington
Popular Poster

Always get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again" on pw reset 

multiple attempts. Different password combinations of characters

Community Team

Hi neil dishington, there's an incident affecting MyAccount that means you'll not be able to create a new email account or modify an old one or delete an existing one.