Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

This time it’s the TT501 gremlin striking

17 REPLIES 17
Aquarius
Wise Owl

Dear Friends,

Once more one of the TalkTalk gremlins has struck, returning my e-mails, thirty six of them sent in one batch that usually passes through without any problems. Following the advice someone gave when this happened before, I switched my router off for an hour and tried again – with the same result.

Can someone please help and that as soon as possible?

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

Aquarius

Aquarius
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Aquarius 

453 4.1.1 Too many recipients (TT501) is a temporary stop on sending. The hourly limit counter has been triggered. This counter is normally set at 50 individual email addresses - it's a temporary spam protection measure; the counter will be reset in the next hour.

Not too long to wait and then you can retry. Leave at least an hour before retrying.

Do please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue in the next two hours.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Aquarius
Wise Owl

I have already tried that, but it did not work.  I shall try again later and will let you know the result. The 36 emails I sent were the first one since about 24 hours before.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Aquarius

Aquarius
Gondola
Community Star

Please do.

The sending limit can be lowered when not directly connected to the TalkTalk network or other things like recipient addresses not being available for delivery.  It may help by breaking up sending into smaller groups just in case the limiter has been triggered by too many unavailable addresses.

Aquarius
Wise Owl

Thank you for the advice. I have tried that and split the block into two smaller parts. The first one went out and the second one, after more than an hour was refused. And so was a very small single e-mail I tried to send to a friend in Ireland. It too could not be delivered because of gremlin TT501.

There must be something that can be done about this. I have not encountered this kind of difficulty for a very long time and on every previous occasion the matter was resolved by your technicians. I hope and pray they can do so this time, too.

Many thanks and a happy New Year to all of you.

Kind regards - Aquarius

Aquarius
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Aquarius 

Assuming you split the group of 36 recipients into two and the first block of 18 sent ok but the next block of 18 didn't then we can deduce that the second block probably has one or more unacceptable / undeliverable addresses and the limit counter has been triggered.

Is it still a TT501 error bounceback?

Once the limit counter has been set then even if you try to send one email to a valid address before the hour is up then the send will fail.  And it will continue to fail until the limit counter has been reset.

Wait an hour and then send the remaining 18 individually.

Aquarius
Wise Owl

Hello Gondola,

Thank you for your advice. I am prepared to have one more go. If it does not work, I shall have to use my yahoo.uk or hotmail account.

Kind regards - Aquarius

Aquarius
Aquarius
Wise Owl

Just tried to send one single message to a friend in Ireland. It was rejected with the following message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Sent: 05/01/2020 12:08

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

on 05/01/2020 12:08
453 4.1.1 o4hBiGai2p7QX Too Many Recipients (TT502)

Once again it's the TT502 gremlin that's striking and no emails are going out from my account. Can someone please, please, please help!!!

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

Aquarius

Aquarius
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Aquarius 

TT502 tells me that the daily limit counter has been triggered. This is normally only reached if the send is to more than 500 recipients per 24 hours.

If your sending hasn't exceeded that then the implication is that someone else is using your mail account. Bear in mind that if you've been retrying the full group send over the last 24 hours it would only take 14 retrys to trigger the daily limit counter. 

Did you get any different error codes at any time recently?

If in any doubt and to secure your mail account to make sure that only you have access then please change the password. Then check the Sent objects folder for any activity that's not yours and also that no Auto-forwarding is active as this will count towards the number of recipients.

The error message implies that it wasn't to a single address you sent to but a group send as it tells you the address that wasn't available out of the ones that were sent to. Are you sure that you're not sending out to a whole group when trying to send to a single address that may not be available currently? 

This thread is already escalated to the TalkTalk team for them to take a look.

Please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es) with any relevant other notes and finally save changes. TalkTalk's Community Team OCE will then locate your registered TalkTalk details.

Aquarius
Wise Owl

Just tried to send an e-mail to my own yahoo.uk account and that too was rejected.

Looks like I can't send any e-mails to anyone any more.

There's got to be someone at TalkTalk who can put this right.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards - in spite of it all!

Aquarius

Aquarius
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Aquarius 

Once the daily limit counter has been triggered then you do need to wait for up to 24 hours for the counter to be fully reset.  The counter will automatically reset.  It is not a permanent failure.

What did you find out when looking at the Sent objects folder? Does it look as though someone else has been sending mail messages?  Did you recheck the last send to Ireland? Were you sending to a group? The error message implied that it was a group send and there was a failure within that group.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Aquarius, Gondola has given accurate information. Please let us know how you get on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Aquarius
Wise Owl

Dear Ady,

Thank you for your response to my query. I am 82 years of age and by no means a computer geek. It seems that these days I can at least send my first 46 e-mails, split into two sections. They go through all right, but no matter how many hours have passed since then - four, five or more - the second batch consisting of about 20 is rejected. I have tried time and again, but in the meantime have given up. The first batch is the most important one because I am sharing my writings with the people on my mailing list, who have asked to be informed in that manner.

The second batch is purely for entertainment and for a bit of fun. For many years I have stored in my archive the best and most interesting e-mails that were sent to me by others from around our world. As they have been resting there for around four years by now, I enjoy sharing them again. It used to be possible with the help of TalkTalk e-mail service, but alas no longer. Ah, well . . .

With kind regards,

Aquarius

Aquarius
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Aquarius 

Ady hasn't been online since Wednesday but I'm sure will be most interested in your email when he returns.

It's actually great news that your original emails do successfully reach your signed up group recipients. That's exactly how it should work.

If your 'recycled' old emails are the ones failing then it's probably because they include old email addresses or links that fail. I'd expect a slightly different error code: Too many recipients (TT603)

What you could do is copy the body content of these emails to notebook and use the text to create a new email for your signed up group recipients. Let us know if that works.

Aquarius
Wise Owl

When I had a closer look at the e-mail I received from you today, I found the section:

'And now for the boring stuff' by Stephen, our Community Manager.

I have reset the figure to a higher one. Lo and behold! All my e-mails are going through.

God bless and thanks to all of you who tried to resolve the matter and advise me, especially Stephen.

With love - Aquarius

Aquarius
Aquarius
Wise Owl

Thank you Stephen. Your advice was brilliant and not boring at all, I assure you.

With love - Aquarius

Aquarius
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Aquarius 

I'm delighted that your mail messages are now going through without problem.

Astonished that the message from Stephen fixed it!  He'll be equally pleased to take all the credit and I'll have to hand back Gondola's  magic wand!

Now for the boring stuff...

You can manage your notifications via your community profile. You can access your settings by clicking here.

Best wishes,
Stephen (your Community Manager)

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Aquarius, I'm delighted to see that Stephen has fixed your community notifications I'll let him know. If your emails are now working normally that will be as a result of us notifiying the email team. They have been resolving all the issue raised for the 991 and 992 issues.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.