cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Tiscali email -lost historic emails from feb 2020 ?

7 REPLIES 7
Zephyr
First Timer

I have had account for many years and realise talk talk said they would shut it down unless I am or become a talk talk broadband user (I am no longer) and I was hoping to check older emails before the cut off date of 4th April but now find no historic emails before feb this year.

I realise you can sign up at £5 a month just for emails however if I have no historic emails and as they may be permanently deleted there would be no point. 

I have been through all settings in both mobile and internet talk talk email looking at the views and I have no archive folder to check!

I am hoping some one can help! 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Zephyr 

The mail accounts you have set up for collecting mail messages - are they IMAP accounts?  Any set up as POP3 accounts?  I ask because POP3 setup downloads mail to the device. So that's where to look for older downloaded emails.

But you may not see all mailbox Inbox emails in an email app as the app may not have space for all or may not have downloaded all if the app was set up more recently than the oldest mail message.

So the best way to determine the oldest mail message in the Inbox or any other folder in the mailbox is to sign in to TalkTalk Mail here.

Make sure you're looking at the List View and select Sort by and from the drop down list select Date and Ascending.  The List View will then be listed oldest mail message at the top.

If messages have been inadvertently deleted they'll be in the Trash folder.

If messages have been Archived they'll be in the Archive folder in a sub-folder organised year by year. Archive (if there) will be bottom of the list of standard folders. Select the arrow by Archive to expand to the list of Archive sub-folders.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Zephyr
First Timer

Dear @Gondola 

Thank you for advising.

i think I was doing all you suggested and have just signed in to talk talk email direct and checked all your settings which were very similar so adjusted to yours.

it is clear that I have no previous emails beyond Feb this year similar to mobile phone. 

however I now see a folder saying archive but only one sub folder saying 2020 !  So again this only goes back to feb2020 

nothing in deleted etc,

it seems talk talk have cleared my emails and to be fair they may have sent an email stating by a certain date this would happen so my bad !
i did previously try directly signing into talk talk a few times months ago but had so many issues as it was unstable so could not do housekeeping and then when got an email saying account closing 4th April figured I would sign up for a few months to then house keep as it would be more stable !  then found all my years missing ! 
I think only option is to contact Tiscali services 
thanks again 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Zephyr 

TalkTalk do not clear or delete mail messages for active mailboxes. I assume you've looked in all folders and sub folders?  And nothing found on your email devices?  I suppose it's possible that something happened inadvertently when you signed in a few months ago?

We do advise customers to back up their mailboxes and to save wanted mail messages either in printed form or a safe backup file just in case something happens. 

But TalkTalk does not itself offer a backup mail service so unfortunately cannot offer to go back and look for lost mail messages.

Tiscali services in the UK does not exist but if there's anything else we can realistically do to help then please say.

Zephyr
First Timer

Dear @Gondola 

thank you for your latest reply - I would think the same that talk talk would not delete as the email is still working - it is a possibility I inadvertently deleted all the emails if the format had been changed from what I was used to !  Thinking of it the main page showed Separate pages of emails (like 50 to a page) and in the talk talk upgrading of the emails maybe they changed that format to like one continuous page and I deleted it all - that’s all I can think 🤔 
oh well - thanks for looking into options to help try and find them much appreciated 😊

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Zephyr 

Yes, in the former TalkTalk webmail the Inbox was set up in pages of user defined size with a default of 50 mail messages per page. You could then select a whole page of up to 50 mail messages and work on those as a group. For example, deleting up to 50 messages.

The new platform has a continuous scrolling Inbox.

'Select all' will select the most recent mail messages not the whole of the mailbox (surprisingly!) but it can select a large number of mail messages. In my case it's selecting 850 messages out of a mailbox containing 67,118 messages.

If you select the View option layout Vertical then you'll get an indication in the right hand panel (desktop browser version) of the number of messages.

So if I select the Delete option I'd send those messages to Trash. So long as the Settings option (Mail > Common) is not set to Permanently remove deleted email messages then those messages in Trash can be recovered and moved back to the Inbox.

Zephyr
First Timer

Dear @Gondola 

thanks again for clear explanation and things to try - unfortunately they are not showing - gone - I see memory allocation is 100 mb suggesting also gone.

i have I think figured out what may have happened!

previously on old system my mobile was set so that anything I deleted on mobile did not delete in the talk talk desktop version and this version not set to automatically delete in trash bin.

so when new system came along a number of things may have changed 

So I may have deleted the continuous page as said and may have deleted the trash in desktop but doubtful if I saw just how many items in it ...... however if I deleted on my mobile it may have deleted the trash bin on desktop version ....

Whatever the actual way they are gone - the good thing is that the most important stuff I had converted or about to convert .
Many thanks again for taking time out to help.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Zephyr 

100MB is still quite a lot of messages. Maybe 10,000 or more but that's without attachments.

You seem ok that you've got most of the important stuff saved.