would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Tiscali email problem on i-Pad

19 REPLIES
Highlighted
davep
Enlightened One

My wife is not receiving emails on her i-pad from my tiscali account.  This started a couple of days ago.  I have seen the service status indicating there are problems.

I can receive emails on my laptop using live mail, and on my Asus tablet.  Is there anything particularly with the i-Pad, or should I just wait until it is reported as fixed?  I think all use the POP3 server.

Thanks

TheHornedOne
Super Duper Contributor

Given the current situation ...........

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Service-Status-Dashboard/bd-p/service

....... and accepting the fact that all has been well with the iPad up to this point, @davep, I would be inclined to hold fire, not change anything, and see what develops!

That said however, you may wish to check your settings against those provided by TalkTalk, at this present time ............

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email-settings-imap-pop3

............. PO / IMA Protocol notwithstanding.

davep
Enlightened One

thanks for the reply.  I thought it may be the case to see what happens as the i-Pad has worked ok as far as I know.  I think if she has problems she shuts it down and it will right itself.  I personally have nothing to do with it.  I'll have a look at the settings if it is not fixed tomorrow.  Strangely, she can send emails, just not receive any.

davep
Enlightened One

Wife's hotmail a/c hasn't receiced email either on her ipad.

We are reluctant to mess with it.  From the help page, she has different things on the sidebar and does not seem to have anything saying account and passwords.

My son set it all up so maybe we'll have to ask him.

TT seem to be taking a long time to get a fix! 

Community Team

Hi davep, my colleagues on the incidents team are chasing us for more information to help get this resolved as quickly as possible. Could you Private message me the following information:

• Device
  • OS version
  • Username
  • Host Name
  • "Automatically manage connection settings" Enabled or disabled?
  • Port
  • SSL/TLS Enabled or disabled?
  • Authentication Method? (It should be set to "Password" on the apple mail client.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

davep
Enlightened One

before I go any further, neither I nor my wife are exactly knowledgeable on the working of the i-pad.  She just uses it for browsing, mail and keeping up with what the family are doing.  I avoid it! 

If you could tell me what you mean for the points below and how to find them, I will try and find out.

sorry about that

@OCE_Ady wrote:

Hi davep, my colleagues on the incidents team are chasing us for more information to help get this resolved as quickly as possible. Could you Private message me the following information:

• Device      Apple i-Pad
  • OS version    Would this be 8.4.1?
  •  not sure of any of the below or where to find them
  • Username   
  • Host Name   
  • "Automatically manage connection settings" Enabled or disabled?
  • Port
  • SSL/TLS Enabled or disabled?
  • Authentication Method? (It should be set to "Password" on the apple mail client.

Community Team

Hi davep, this from may help you find the information we need:

How do I change the email settings on my iPad?

Scroll down to MAIL > CONTACTS > CALENDARS, and click on that:

1. Then click on the account you need to update the SMTP settings for. ...
  2. You will get to the EMAIL INFORMATION page for that account. ...
  3. CLICK on the OUTGOING SERVER.
  4. Now you will see a list of OUTGOING SERVERS that have been configured on your iPhone or iPad.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

davep
Enlightened One

sorry ( again).  Not sure what you want from that.

Primary server is smtp.tiscali.co.uk    other server, just same but that is off.

User name is mine@tiscali.co.uk

password is blanked out

use ssl is on

Authentication  says password>    if you need info from that, I can send it by pm.

Server port is  587

Still no real idea what we are doing with this.

Will PM you with details if needed

t20113
Sightseer

I had the same problem. I deleted both my tiscali and tinyworld email accounts from my iPad and iPhone and then reentered them as new accounts. Needed to download the tinyworld settings from talk talk from the web but tiscali settings came through automatically. 

All then worked perfectly.

Community Team

Thanks davep, I'll pass those details over.

Community Team

Hi t20113, thanks for posting your experience to help others. 

davep
Enlightened One

@t20113 wrote:

I had the same problem. I deleted both my tiscali and tinyworld email accounts from my iPad and iPhone and then reentered them as new accounts. Needed to download the tinyworld settings from talk talk from the web but tiscali settings came through automatically. 

All then worked perfectly.

Thanks for that. I did wonder whether it would work, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Was that after or during the recent email problems?  Did you lose any of the emails which were in your accounts?

The problem seems to be resolved, but wife's email still not working

davep
Enlightened One

@OCE_Ady @t20113 @TheHornedOne

We went through the process of deleting the account, then installing.  It is now working, but the account is now IMAP as it would only allow that, despite it previously being POP3.  I don't really understand the difference or implcations, and would probably prefer POP3, but will probably leave it while it works ok.

I have looked at the link to force POP3, but as I said we are leaving alone for now.

Thanks to all for info and assistance.

TheHornedOne
Super Duper Contributor

iOS [Apple] Mail, on the iPad, defaults to the IMAP, that is why the new account is using it, and it will do so totally automatically, given the opportunity.

If you wish to generate a POP account, you need to 'force' the application to accept it, as you have stated!

It is possible that the original account was set up using the POP unintentionally.

If you do decide that you want the account to install using the POP @davep, and if you think it will help, get in touch with me via Private Message, and I'll step you through it, in post.

t20113
Sightseer

It was following the recent email problems. I’m not a techie but it was the last resort and I had little to loose and was fed up using web mail on the IOS devices. I just googled how to do it and it wasn’t difficult and I didn’t loose any emails. I’ve s tiny world email address too that was affected and that didn’t reload the account automatically but I copied what was offered on the internet and it worked. Just make sure you know your email passwords.

davep
Enlightened One

thanks again.  I think it may have been set up as a POP3 as it is an old i-pad and I've read that os6 set up in pop3 by default.  My son gave my wife his old one, set everything up for her but never explained anything much about it.  It works most of the time and does all she wants, though I don't use it as I prefer to use a windows laptop as I am used to that.  (Plus my fingers tend not to work too well on a touch screen!)

If she / we decide to change back to POP3, I may take you up on the offer if I can't work it through from the link you sent @TheHornedOne 

TheHornedOne
Super Duper Contributor

The 2 Protocols will instal as individual accounts, but usage gets a tad confusing, and they are inclined to ................ 'fight' each other, ha!

IMAP&POP.PNGIMAP&POP.PNG

Schockwave
Team Player

Yes, just deleted Tiscali account and re-entered it on both my I-Pad and I-Phone, and it automatically did the settings, at last!!!

TheHornedOne
Super Duper Contributor

@Schockwave wrote:

Yes, just deleted Tiscali account and re-entered it on both my I-Pad and I-Phone, and it automatically did the settings, at last!!!

Thums Up.jpg

Community Team

Great Community support guys. Nice one.