Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Tiscali email problem sent to Gmail

8 REPLIES 8
Clique-Al
Conversation Starter

Hi, i've just been advised that a recent Tiscali email sent a friends Gmail a/c is flagging up "RED" unauthenticated email - message as below:

Gmail couldn't verify that tiscali.co.uk actually sent this message (and not a spammer)

Can you let me know if this is a problems of TT or Google and how to resolve this issue.

Any help advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Al

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Clique-Al 

How did you send the email? From TalkTalk Mail via your Internet browser or via an email client or app like Outlook, Thunderbird or Apple Mail?

TalkTalk Mail will automatically authenticate the sending.

Your client or email app might not be set to authenticate the email.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Clique-Al
Conversation Starter

Hi, Gondola

Thanks for reply, my email was sent via client Thunderbird and have never had this issue before with my Tiscali email address. Also have had my Tiscali email for 20+ years.

Gondola
Community Star

Are you connected directly to the TalkTalk network or another broadband network?

In Thunderbird, Click on View settings for this account and screenshot the Server Settings screen and outgoing server SMTP settings screen.  Image edit to obscure your email address before posting here using the Camera (Insert Photos) icon above this Reply area.

Clique-Al
Conversation Starter

I'm not a TT customer, just have a Tiscali email a/c and are connected to another broadband (ISP) network.

Thunderbird settings for my Tiscali a/c as below:

Server Settings:

Server type : POP Mail Server

Server name : pop3.tiscali.co.uk

Port: 995   Default: 995

Security Settings:

Connection Security : SSL/TLS

Authentication Method : Normal password

Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings

Server name : smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Port : 287

Authentication Method : Normal password

Connection Security : STARTTLS

Trust this helps, also note settings have not been changed.

Gondola
Community Star

The incoming server host name should be: pop.tiscali.co.uk

The outgoing SMTP server port should be 587

Other than that the settings are as recommended and so long as you're authenticating with the correct password it should be ok.

Clique-Al
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola, just checked settings again outgoing server port is correct 587, I incorrectly wrote 287 in last post. I'll change incoming from pop3..... to correct pop.tiscali.co.uk

Will update you after test sending emails later. Thks.

Clique-Al
Conversation Starter

Just follow-up to my last post, have sent a test email (Tiscali) from Thunderbird to a gmail address I have also linked with Thunderbird and  received ok. However checking message on Gmail phone app it still flags up problem RED (?) with original post message.

What is the likely issue??????????

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Clique-Al 

Well, coming from the Gmail end, Gmail will flag up if either SPF or DKIM, the authentication methods, aren't implemented or fail. To see exactly what's happening you'd need to inspect the header of the email for SPF or DKIM records.