Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Tiscali webmail inbox and folders empty

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello.  Could anyone please help / advise?

On logging into my tiscali webmail account today I have found:

- Inbox: emptied (showing only new e-mails from 10am this morning)

- Drafts: displaying messages as expected

- Sent objects: emptied (except for 2 e-mails sent on Saturday)

- Trash: emptied (except for 1 e-mail from Amazon this morning about suspected unauthorised access)

Could my account have been compromised?  Is there anyway to recover my lost e-mails?

Thank you 🙂

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @tandakka 

All the signs of your mailbox being compromised.

Do you need help to change the password? A change to an ultra-strong password is recommended as a priority.

But first do scan for viruses and malware on the device on which you plan to change the password just in case there's a keylogger capturing your passwords.

An ultra-strong password that's unique to the mailbox and never before used can be created from multiple random words. Use multicase letters and numbers and a special symbol to end up with 12 -15 characters that are both memorable and hard to crack.

When you do get access via the TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

Main Settings menu (triple line icon top right header or cog icon on mobile browser)> Settings > Select the arrow by Mail in the side panel> Auto forward - disable > Filter rules - disable.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thank you so much @Gondola for the quick response.

I've followed your recommendations - scan, password change & there were no auto forward or filter rules set up.

Is there anyway to restore my seemingly deleted e-mails?  There is so much info in there that is useful to me and no, I do not have a back-up.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi tandakka 

The password change will have locked out any unauthorised access.

Unfortunately, TalkTalk don't offer a backup service so if the mail messages have been accessed and deleted and don't exist on any of your now unconnected devices then they are gone. Sorry to be the bearer of that unwelcome news. Last thing you wanted to know.

There is one last thing to double check in TalkTalk Mail. Via the TalkTalk Mail main settings menu (triple line or cog icon top right) the Update your reset details option will show your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number. Make sure both are yours and up to date and accessible.

You'll also want to check the security of any online accounts linked to your email address. For example, Amazon.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola,

Thanks again. So I updated my talktalk password at 14.31 (after scanning for malware) and at 15.58 my inbox has again been deleted.  I received 2 further e-mails from Amazon about password resets at 15.51.  Any ideas?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi tandakka 

Doesn't feel to me like you've secured the mailbox.

How are you updating the mailbox password?  Via the TalkTalk Mail Reset details?

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive a password reset. Please do try the Forgotten your Password? option. If there's an alternate shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please reset the password.

Preferably use a mobile phone under your control in case the other mail account is also compromised.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola,

I updated the mailbox password earlier using the 'Forgotten your password' link.  I have just changed the password again in the same way.

I have also spoken to Amazon who confirmed there has been unauthorised activity on my account today.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @tandakka 

Just wondering if the hacker is still signed in to your webmail mailbox?

Sign out of webmail and then sign in again using the new password.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola,

I've signed out of talktalk webmail and back in using new password as suggested and will monitor things.  I'm not clear how a hacker could have remained signed into my mailbox through the first password reset though so remain unsettled!  Thanks for your help.