would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Trash Emails have been removed

14 REPLIES 14
molly57
Chat Champion

Good Evening

I always keep one months worth of deleted emails in my Trash folder. I then delete a few each day as the date passes. The reason I do this is because sometimes a "wanted" email goes in the trash by mistake and by doing it this way it is a double check I do not permanently delete the "wanted" email.

Everything was fine this morning and I deleted the 13th September's trash as normal. At some point during the day my trash folder contents has been reduced and now only contains emails as far back as Monday 7th October. 

How can I get the trash between 14th September and 6th October back? It is very important and urgent I get this mail back. If changes about the amount of trash stored were being made I was never informed. 

My contract with TalkTalk is due to expire in mid November. I have chosen to leave TalkTalk on 14th November, originally this was 14th October (tomorrow) but I changed my mind. TalkTalk will not accept my change of leaving date even though both myself, the account holder and my new provider have told them multiple times using the correct procedures, TalkTalk are still intent on cutting me off tomorrow 14th October 2019. Now this problem with my trash emails is yet another problem I am having to face. 

Regards

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Molly

Sorry to see that you're leaving TalkTalk.

The switching process agreed with Ofcom is that the gaining provider (the Communications Provider taking over the services delivered to your home via the Openreach network) is solely responsible for liaising with the losing provider to tell them when your service has been switched. The gaining provider may give a provisional date but it's only when they tell TalkTalk that your service has been switched will TalkTalk cease the service and the billing.

The exception to this switching is when your new service is provided by Virgin Media or a full fibre service provider that doesn't use the Openreach network for the connection to your home. In that case TalkTalk advice is to wait until the new service provider has provided the service or at the very least positively confirmed the connection date and then cancel your service with TalkTalk.  Although you have to give 30 days' notice to TalkTalk the recommended method avoids loss of service at the cost of up to 30 days of unused TalkTalk service.

As for deletion of messages from the Trash folder.  There is no TalkTalk system for auto-deleting emails from the Trash folder leaving just messages of a week old. However, an email client can be set to auto-delete messages older than a set time period. You may wish to check this setting in your email client.

Check that the messages have not been inadvertently moved to another folder or if you have those 'missing' messages on a computer or other device you use to download and view messages.  If the messages have been inadvertently deleted from the Trash folder then there is no recovery. A Delete from Trash or Empty the Trash is a final and unreversible action.

I therefore hope you find the messages have simply been moved to another folder.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

molly57
Chat Champion

Good Evening

Thank you for your reply. 

With regards to my leaving TalkTalk:

I initially thought that if I leave within 30 days of the end of my contract I would not incur exit fees. Based on this thought, which I have now found out is incorrect, I signed up with Virgin Media to start with them tomorrow 14th October 2019. 

When I found out I would incur exit fees I informed Virgin Media of this and changed my leaving date to the 14th November 2019. Virgin Media changed my start date with them to November and also informed TalkTalk of the change of date via the procedure that needs to followed for this. Virgin Media have now followed this procedure 3 times this week alone to make sure it went through correctly and that TalkTalk received the information in time. 

To back this up I have spent a very long time on the phone to TalkTalk, speaking to TalkTalk on Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week. I was told by Talk Talk on each occassion that I, the account holder could not inform them of the change it had to come from my new provider. I have accepted this and can confirm my new provider has followed the correct procedures three times this week. 

TalkTalk also told me during each phone call that my service is going to be terminated tomorrow 14th October 2019, which was my original choice of leaving date before I changed my mind and that there was nothing I could do about that.

I am in poor health and cannot under any circumstances be without my landline telephone and would prefer not to have any interuption in my Broadband service either. I have been worrying about this all week and all I can do now is wait and see what happens tomorrow!!! I hope and pray I have worried for nothing. 

With regards to my missing trash emails I will look for them in other folders. My system for dealing with my trash emails has worked perfectly for the past 17 months so why should it suddenly change today?

Regards

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Molly

The OCE's will pick up this topic on Monday and advise you.  I feel that leaving it to the very day that your TalkTalk service was scheduled for a cease is not going to result in a satisfactory outcome. I hope I'm wrong.  Maybe the OCE can cancel the cease order?

There is no 'procedure' for Virgin Media instructing TalkTalk to cease your service.  Only you, the customer, can do that. There is a procedure for Virgin Media taking over your 'phone number as explained in the advice article Cancel your TalkTalk service.

The Virgin Media FAQ say:

Can I keep my existing telephone number? - Yes, we’ll even get in touch with your current landline provider to make the switch as smooth as possible.

Do I need to give notice to my current provider? - Yes, we don’t want them to keep billing you! Once you have an install date from us, give your old provider a quick call to let them know you want to cancel your services. Most ask for 14 to 31 days’ notice, so we should be able to get you connected before your old services are switched off.

The Ofcom procedure for switching Communications Provider using the Openreach network requires that, as I explained in the last post, the gaining provider notify TalkTalk when the broadband switch happens and therefore TakTalk service cancellation happens automatically. This broadband switching notification does not apply to Virgin Media so I'm wondering if you made it clear to Customer Services that you had ordered a service from Virgin Media and were simply porting your 'phone number to Virgin Media?

Virgin Media and other full-fibre service providers do not use the Openreach network so do not follow the Ofcom switching process. They connect you to their own networks and have no control or authority over ceasing a service delivered via the Openreach network but they should be willing to take over a 'phone number.  As they say, they leave it to you to cancel your existing service once you have a confirmed date for the Virgin Media connection.

Given that TalkTalk appear to have accepted your notice of cancellation (subject to OCE confirmation on a cancellation of the cease) I wonder if the best option now is to ask Virgin Media to provide your service with them as soon as possible.

molly57
Chat Champion

Just to confirm what has happened.

I signed up with Virgin Media on 26th September 2019 with my service to start on 14th October 2019. Virgin Media contacted TalkTalk to advise them that they would be taking over my landline telephone on 14th October 2019. 

I received a letter from TalkTalk on Monday 7th October 2019 saying sorry I was leaving and my exit fees would be £9.17. I immediately telephoned TalkTalk to complain about the exit fees as I thought I could leave within the last 30 days of my contract without incurring exit fees. TalkTalk advised me I was wrong and that my service would terminate on 14th October 2019 and I would receive my final bill including exit fees approximately 10 days after my service ceased. I then advised TalkTalk I would cancel my leaving on 14th October and would contact my new provider right away to get a new installation date. TalkTalk advised me that they could not accept any instructions from me, the account holder and that all changes and cancellations had to come from my new provider. I asked TalkTalk to confirm what was the earliest date I could leave and not incur exit fees. I was advised the earliest date was 14th November 2019. I ended the telephone call and immediately telephoned my new provider Virgin Media.

Virgin Media immediately changed my installation date with them to 14th November 2019 and whilst I was on the telephone put through the cancellation of the cease order for the 14th October 2019. Virgin Media then issued another cease order for the 14th November 2019. After ending the call to Virgin Media I telephoned TalkTalk again to tell them of the my new date for leaving TalkTalk. The person on the phone told me that they could not accept any instructions from me the account holder, all instructions had to come from my new provider and that my TalkTalk service would continue to end on 14th October 2019.

I waited until 8th October, next day and checked online and could see my end date with TalkTalk was still showing as 14th October 2019. I telephoned TalkTalk again to confirm my new start date with my new provider and to confirm I was not leaving TalkTalk on 14th October 2019. I was told there was absolutely nothing I could do and my service would continue to end on 14th October 2019.

I telephoned Virgin Media again and they confirmed they had contacted TalkTalk about the change of date. 

I received another letter from TalkTalk on Thursday 10th October repeating what was in the first letter, that I was leaving on 14th October 2019 and my exit fees would be £9.17. My online TalkTalk account also continued to show me leaving on 14th October 2019. At this time on Sunday 13th October my online account is still saying I leave on 14th October. I telephoned TalkTalk again to confirm they had received the new instructions from Virgin Media. TalkTalk stated they had not received any changed instructions from Virgin Media and repeated they would not accept the change from me the account holder, again stating I would leave TalkTalk on 14th October.

I then telephoned Virgin Media again who confirmed they had cancelled the cease order for 14th October and sent a new cease order for 14th November but to assist me they would send another cancellation of the cease order for the 14th October to make sure TalkTalk did not cease my service.

As all telephone calls are recorded then what I am saying can be confirmed. I also repeat that during every single phone call I had with TalkTalk they would not accept or act upon anything I had told them regarding the change of my leaving date.  

Gondola
Community Star

OK Molly.

Let the OCE see what the situation is and what can be done to recover it. 

To me it seems that there needs to be easy access to a customer driven process to cancel a cease order.  The customer has to be able to make a unilateral decision to cancel a cease order and see that cancellation take priority over any other pending orders.

Community Team

Hi molly57,

I can see that Gondola has pointed you in the right direction regarding the email issue.

To be honest I'm not sure if there's anything that we can do at this late stage regarding the cease. If you could start a topic in the Billing Section OCE_Arne may be able to advise. 

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread 

Thanks

Chris

molly57
Chat Champion

Good Afternoon Everyone 

Just to let you know that TalkTalk have gone ahead and DISCONNECTED my telephone and broadband this morning at approximately 09.00 despite being told multiple times that I did not intend to leave TalkTalk until 14th November 2019.

I am in poor health and undergoing cancer treatment at present but regardless of my situation no TalkTalk customer deserves to be treated like this. 

I would like like this post to be brought to the attention of the CEO of TalkTalk and all who might be interested. Please also be advised that I am now going public with the appalling treatment I have received from TalkTalk.

Regards

Sheena Read 

Community Team

Hi Sheena,

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience and distress caused by this issue. 

If you could let me know how you would like to be contacted, mobile or email I can raise a complaint on your behalf to our CEO's Office. If you'd like to be contacted by phone, can you let me know what the best time is to call, apologies again for any inconvenience

Thanks 

Chris

molly57
Chat Champion

Good Afternoon

Thank you for the reply. I am happy to be contacted by email. I have managed, with great difficulty, to get an intermittent internet connection elsewhere and can receive emails. 

I do not want to be contacted by telephone because I have spent hours on the telephone over the past two weeks trying to sort this out and alleviate my disconnection today. 

Regards

Sheena Read 

Community Team

Hi Sheena,

Thanks for the information. I've raised a complaint on your behalf to our CEO's Office, they will be in touch within 5 working days to discuss your complaint. I've also asked that you be contacted by email as requested

Chris

molly57
Chat Champion

Good Afternoon

This is also posted on the Billing and Account section of the forum.

Thank you for your response. Sorry for the delay in replying but as you can appreciate without any telephone or broadband there was little I could do until now. 

Virgin Media have connected my broadband and landline today. They have given me a temporary landline number until my number original number is ported over. The porting of my original number is already in place and the success will depend on TalkTalk accepting the request and providing they have not already given my landline number to another customer after my unwarrented disconnection on Friday which was 28 days too early.

You are incorrect in advising that the authority to change or cancel any TalkTalk services lay with the customer. I have lost track of how many times TalkTalk told me I the customer, could not change or canel anything and that it all had to come from my new provider. 

The reason I am submitting a complaint to the TalkTalk CEO is they need to know how badly their customers are being treated. If this is not the fault of the multiple representatives I spoke with (which I don't think it is) then the policy and procedure of not allowing a customer to have any control over changes, including cancellation of their service is very bad indeed. My reason for also going public is to make current and future customers aware of the potential problems they may experience when making changes to their service or trying to leave TalkTalk.

Regards

Sheena Read

molly57
Chat Champion

Good Morning

I have now been locked out of my account so I cannot see how much my final bill is which I want to pay now. I will pay for the telephone and broadband service I have had and telephone calls made up until 18th October 2019 09.00 when TalkTalk disconnected my service. I will not pay early exit fees because I did not exit early TalkTalk did that.

TalkTalk will need to contact me about this as I am not paying for a phone call to them. Could anyone supply a freephone number to assist me?

Could I also ask how long I am able to access and use my TalkTalk email address for? 

Regards

Sheena Read

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Molly

Your TalkTalk MyAccount will remain active for 12 months after leaving TalkTalk.  There was a recent issue with some customers not able to sign in to MyAccount but that's been fixed.  Try again with MyAccount or use LiveChat or Messenger on the MyTalkTalk mobile app (8am to 10pm).

The TalkTalk email address / mailbox will remain active for as long as you wish subject to subscribing to TalkTalk Mail Plus when you receive an invitation to do so.  Just carry on using TalkTalk Mail for free until the mailbox receives an invitation email from TalkTalk when, if you choose not to subscribe, you'll receive a timetable for making your choice and migrating the mail contacts to another mail service provider.

Gondola
Community Star

...Update.

MyAccount does appear still to be having issues for some customers. The MyAccount Service Status report has been reinstated.

Keep an eye on the Service Status Dashboard (Websites) for updates. When MyAccount is fully fixed the Service Status Websites report will be cleared and change from amber to green.

...and now MyAccount access is reported fixed as at 09.06.