Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Trying to join 'Talktalk Mail Plus' proving impossible

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Team Player

I received an email saying that I need to pay £5 to ensure my email address us maintained. I have to join 'TT Mail Plus'. But when I try to do this it says I can't because I already have an account with TT.  Yet the account is discontinued. How do I get out of this loop and pay my monthly £5?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Geoff

How long ago was the TalkTalk broadband service discontinued? Less than 12 months ago? Presumably the mailbox for the email address receiving that TalkTalk mail message was added to the broadband service MyAccount at the time you ceased to be a customer?

The mail message from TalkTalk usually indicates that you'll need to either:

1. Subscribe to TalkTalk Mail Plus and add the email address to a Mail Plus MyAccount, or
  2. Add the email address to an existing broadband MyAccount

But when you try to subscribe to Mail Plus and the check of the email address is carried out you're being advised that the mail address is already added to a broadband MyAccount.

It looks like you’re already an existing TalkTalk customer. Please login to My Account to manage your email account.

So, TalkTalk doesn't require you to subscribe to Mail Plus because the process believes you're a broadband customer and the mailbox is already added to a MyAccount. 

And, I expect, that if you can sign in to the former broadband MyAccount you'll get an orange banner advising that you cannot create or add new email accounts.

You do not have an active TalkTalk Broadband or TalkTalk Mail Plus subscription, so you are no longer able to create or add new email accounts.

In practice if you're in the situation of not needing to add other orphaned email accounts to a MyAccount then as the mailbox is active and you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail at least once every six months to make sure it stays active then you could choose the do nothing option.

The email system will probably do nothing in your case. But the worst that will happen is that email client access will be removed leaving just webmail access.

It's your choice. Do you wish TalkTalk to 'correct' this situation and allow you to subscribe to Mail Plus or take the do nothing option and let it ride pro tem?

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for your detailed answer, some of which I understand. I'll take the 'do nothing' option for the time being, especially as it involves spending no money.

Its hard to believe that Talktalk could have made this so complicated. Yes, it is less than 12 months since my payments to Talktalk stopped (actually a mobile phone account, rather than broadband, but I don't think that makes any difference.) 

As you say, I don't want to create extra email accounts, I just want to keep the one I've got. 

Actually, given that the email address was originally free (from Tiscali, now ancient history) its rather like blackmail for them to start charging, because people quite naturally don't want to change their email address. 

Community Star

Hi Geoff

Do nothing looks like a great plan to me.

If you get more 'nag' mail messages from TalkTalk advising that the mailbox will be deleted or when it comes to the point of 12 months after ceasing to be a TalkTalk subscriber then retry the Mail Plus subscription check to see if TalkTalk will then allow you to subscribe to Mail Plus.

Let us know if you change your plan of action and need help to subscribe to Mail Plus and until then continue to enjoy free TalkTalk Mail.

Highlighted
Community Manager - TT Staff

Hey @geoff1954 

Hope you're well also thanks to @Gondola for the detailed help... Your comments on our survey was flagged to me about mail plus trouble which brought me here 🙂 

I'm sorry that it's been so complicated, your right it shouldn't have been and the chat you had last week should have resolved this for you so sorry for that. 

In theory you should be able to subscribe to mail plus via the sales site but your old disconnected account is blocking this as "the system" things you're still with us, this is a bug we're working to correct. 

We can fix this by adding Mail Plus to your disconnected account which will eventually trigger the billing for mail plus, i'll send you a private message so i can validate your identity and get this sorted. Sadly doing nothing will eventually lead to the mailbox getting restricted then deleted at some point in the future

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @StephenF 

When the Mail Plus application process is 'fixed' I'd ask you to ensure as part of the fix that there is no disabling of email client access without reasonable prior notification to these Mail users. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, please send me a message so that I can follow your advice.