Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

UKGateway to cease email in less than 3 weeks

8 REPLIES 8
Chatterbox

Hello Gondola

I have a similar problem. Talk Talk say they are deactivating my ukgateway.net email on 5 May as I no longer have a Talk Talk account. But, I DO have a Talk Talk account.

I cannot add the email to My Account myself as the Email settings page of the account says that I don't have an account!! 

At the moment I cannot speak to Talk Talk about this on the phone or use live chat. I tried emailing them - and received a reply saying that they would not be responding to my correspondence. I would be grateful for any advice you can offer.

Thanks

GreyHead
Community Star

Hi @GreyHead 

This seems to be an issue that a number of mail user customers are experiencing. 

the current MyAccount Manage TalkTalk Mail environment has the attributes of a 'disconnected' MyAccount preventing you from managing any mailboxes.

I'll alert TalkTalk as they really will have to raise an incident for this fault because it's stopping you from creating new mailboxes and preventing you from adding existing but orphaned mailboxes. 

To link this topic to your TalkTalk service please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile recommended). Add full home address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add the orphaned UKGateway email address and then save changes.

I'll ask TalkTalk to ensure that your UKGateway mailbox is moved to your current MyAccount.

You'll be contacted here first and then by Community Personal Message to verify the user details for the orphaned UKGateway mailbox. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Chatterbox

Hello Gondola

Thank you very much indeed. I have added the details to my profile as you suggest and hope that it works.

I think this maybe  a legacy issue with accounts transferred to Talk Talk from Tiscali and ukgateway. It may also stem from the fact that, in the olden days before broadband, we had a ukgateway account that worked by connecting your computer to the phone line with a cable. The email address now threatened with  deactivation was the "username" of our original ukgateway account. About 5 or 6 years ago Talk talk added the word "broad" to our user name.  For reasons unknown to me it is possible to send emails from my main gateway email address only by  putting the orphaned email address in the outgoing server settings box.

It is disappointing that this has happened again. At the beginning of November 2019 Talk Talk threatened to deactivate both my main ukgateway address and my husband's Tiscali address. After many hours on the phone, emails and live chat the 2 email addresses were finally added to My Account after about 6 weeks, but the message "you no longer have a Talk Talk account " was not removed from the My Account email settings. Let's hope we have better luck this time!

Thank you again.

GreyHead
Community Star

Hi @GreyHead 

Just to explain that when customers were given an UKGateway email address that's known as the primary email address or primary mailbox.

Users were then able to create a number of 'alias' email addresses linked to your primary UKGateway mail account.

When TalkTalk add an UKGateway mailbox to the TalkTalk Mail platform it's the primary email address that gets added. Mail sent to the alias addresses will still be recognised and received and passed to your primary mailbox.  It's only primary email addresses / mailboxes that need adding to your MyAccount.

So, if TalkTalk have already added the primary UKGateway email address(es) to your MyAccount then that's ok. If a primary UKGateway email address still needs to be added to protect it from deletion then make a note of that in the Private notes of your Community profile, Personal information and save changes.

Chatterbox

Hello Gondola.

Thanks for the additional useful information. I think the primary email address is what Gateway used to call the "User name" - and that is the address Talk Talk now wishes to deactivate.  So - I will amend my "Private notes" as you suggest.

Interesting that, when Talk Talk "solved" the problem last autumn they added only the alias emails and not the primary one to My Account!

Best wishes.

GreyHead
Community Star

@GreyHead wrote:...Interesting that, when Talk Talk "solved" the problem last autumn they added only the alias emails and not the primary one to My Account!

Noted. The experts in email that support our Community will be able to get the 'username' or primary UKGateway mailbox address added to your MyAccount to make sure that's not going to get deleted.

Just to reassure you also that the deletion of mailboxes is suspended for the duration of these Government special measures so don't worry and we'll make sure everything is correct and in place as soon as possible.

Chatterbox

Thanks yet again Gondola. Good to know the email won't be deleted. I will wait and see what happens!

GreyHead
Community Manager - TT Staff

Hey , 

Sorry for the delayed reply, we're doing our best in these unprecedented circumstances due to the Corona virus to answer everyone as quickly as possible.

I'm a little confused sorry, are you trying to add your ukgateway mailbox to myaccount as one of the five mailboxes you get or should i say got as a customer, with you talking about deactivating the mailbox, what makes you think that is happening? 

Thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Chatterbox

Hello Stephen

Thanks for picking this up.

Please see my post of Tuesday 14 May, and the following helpful exchanges with Gondola. 

Talk Talk sent me an email to say that they would deactivate one of my ukgateway email addresses  on 5 May as I no longer have a Talk Talk Account. But I do have a Talk Talk Account.

The email address in question is on my profile. It is the "Username" or primary email address that I had when we first had a Gateway account. It is used to send emails from legacy Gateway and Tiscali addresses.

I cannot add the email to my Account myself as the email settings page of My Account says that I don't have an account!! One clue to the history may be that 5 or 6 years someone at Tiscali/Talk Talk added the word "broad" to our "user name"/primary email address.

I hope you can sort this out for me.

Thanks

GreyHead