Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to Send Emails via LIneone.net address

ANSWERED
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
First Timer

I have been a customer of TalkTalk for more than 20 years and during that time, my e-mail address has remained unchanged, but years ago it moved from an @Tiscali.co.uk to an @Lineone.net address etc. During that period, I have encountered no problems whatsoever.

However, earlier today, when I attempted to reply to an e-mail which involved 85 recipients, the following message was displayed:

"Message could not be sent. Error message from e-mail transport server: 453 - 453 4.1.1 Tu5li3AIKUgmG Too Many Recipients (TT500)"

From that point onwards, attempts to move on resulted in repeated requests to discard or continue editing the message and thereafter, the same error message was displayed when I attempted to send an e-mail to only one recipient and these messages were not delivered.

I then contacted TalkTalk Chat line and the Operator took 15 minutes to simply verify my account information. After 30 minutes I was told to contact my "Internet Service Provider" before being told that TalkTalk was not responsible for addressing e-mail issues and that lineone.net addresses were no longer supported by TalkTalk. 

The lengthy nature of this chat and the unsatisfactory outcome has left me with no idea as to what is happening and where I go from here etc. Does anyone have a means of addressing this issue?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Brochetr 

The information you received from the Livechat agent is incorrect.  Lineone and Tiscali mailboxes are managed by TalkTalk and you will continue to receive support whilst you're a TalkTalk Broadband or Mail Plus customer.

The error message isn't a permanent fail it's indicating a temporary 'spam protection' issue. As spam protection there is a limit to the number of recipients you may send or reply to per hour and per 24 hours.  The normal limits that may be lowered in certain circumstances are 50 recipients per hour and 500 recipients per day. Most home mail service providers set these typical limits.

You may well receive an email sent out as a bulk mailshot to more recipients than the hourly limit counter but because of the spam protection limits for home mail services you may not be able to 'send-to-all' or 'reply-to-all'.

If you wish to send out to a group of 85 recipients then you'll need to split addresses into two separate Distribution Lists each containing no more than 50 recipients, preferably less.  Depending on how many recipients sent to in the hour before sending to the first part list you may need to wait an hour before sending the second part list.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
First Timer

Many thanks for the detailed and apparently knowledgeable response which seems to make sense and is clearly way better than the response I received from the initial TalkTalk Operator referred to in my original post. However, the only thing I would say is that after receiving the error message;

“Message could not be sent. Error message from e-mail transport server: 453 - 453 4.1.1 TuagisqbidF3A Too Many Recipients (TT500)”

when I attempted to reply to the Multi Recipient Distribution List, I attempted to send an e-mail to a Sole Recipient who subscribed to an @yahoo.co.uk address and on that occasion, the e-mail did not in fact send and I received the following error message:

"Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [obscured for customer security] (453 - 453 4.2.0 TudFicJuUIxqo Too Many Recipients (TT604)"

Although there is a slight variation on the code numbers specified, once again the expression, "Too many Recipients" is referred to. 

I am an absolute layman in respect of such matters, however would this not suggest that there is something else going on?

In that regard, last night I again contacted TalkTalk Chat and on this occasion I got through to an Operator who appeared to go above and beyond the norm in an effort to address my query in that the Chat session lasted almost 2 hours! However, after doing various checks she concluded that my e-mail account was working normally and that the problem stemmed from the @yahoo.co.uk address. She did ask me to identify the domain names of the other e-mail accounts on the Multi Recipient Distribution Lists, but given there were 85 such addresses, I declined to do so! I therefore have no idea how she reached that conclusion it was the yahoo one that was causing the problem etc., but I undertook to monitor my account and get back in touch should the problem recur etc.

I very seldom need to reply to Multi Recipient messages in this manner and on this occasion it was one which sought the views of numerous club members in respect of a particular issue. However, given your explanation of what the actual source of the problem is, I am intrigued to understand why everyone featured on the Multi Recipient Distribution List appears able to do a "Reply to All" without any difficulty whatsoever, yet as a TalkTalk User, my limits are such that I cannot do so etc.

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi Brochetr 

@Brochetr wrote:...Error message from e-mail transport server: 453 - 453 4.1.1 TuagisqbidF3A Too Many Recipients (TT500)”

This is the generic spam protection limiter advising there's a temporary restriction on sending because the number of recipients has been exceeded and one or more addresses may not be valid. It is purely a limit on numbers. Normally you'd see a TT501 to indicate more than 50 recipients per hour has been triggered or TT502 if more than 500 per day has been triggered. These limit numbers can be significantly lowered if sending from a network considered at risk of sending spam.

@Brochetr wrote:..."Message could not be sent to the following recipients: (453 - 453 4.2.0 TudFicJuUIxqo Too Many Recipients (TT604)"

This a different spam protection limiter message. It's also a temporarily applied restriction. Not related to the specific mailbox address but simply that a limit counter is still in play. The fix for the yahoo email address is just to wait an hour or up to 24 hours for counters to fully reset depending on the actual numbers of emails previously sent.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
First Timer

Once again, many thanks for this detailed response which perfectly explains what is happening and it is unfortunate that the Chat Line Operators seem to be completely unaware of this.

Fortunately, I seldom need to reply to Multi Recipient Distribution lists so this issue should not affect me unduly going forward. However, just to conclude the matter, does the fact that the other persons on the Distribution List appear to be able to do a "Reply to All" in respect of such a large number of recipients when I can't, suggest that their ISP has a higher allowance applied to their Spam Filters than TalkTalk?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Brochetr, the information provided by Gondola is accurate. I need to provide feedback to the LiveChat team to prevent customers being misled in future. If you can tell me the date and time of the chat or better still send me a personal message with the transcript in I can provide feedback to the LiveChat business manager who will pass it on to the team and agent.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
First Timer

Andy,

many thanks and in terms of the "Personal Reply" do you have a specific address to which that reply should be directed or do I simply copy and paste the transcript into the current messaging format etc. Apologies for the uncertainty, however as you will be aware, I am new to this forum.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Kenny, I've sent you a personal message you'll see a white envelope up to the right of your screen. If you're having any trouble with the request please let me know. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.