Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to connect to BTInternet mail servers from Talktalk network

11 REPLIES
Highlighted
Tufty2012
Team Player

Hello there.

I'm unable to connect to BTInternet mail servers from TalkTalk network. However, if I connect via EE on my mobile, or my work, or neighbour's Sky Broadband, it works.

It's been like this for a few months now.

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 16.03.37.png

I use Apple's Mail app on the latest MacOS, but have also tested it with Mozilla Thunderbird mail client with the same results. Same results in my Ipad as well.

Strangely, I can connect to mail.btinternet.com using the relevant ports using telnet or port-scan.

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 16.06.47.png 

I think the problem lies with BT/Yahoo blacklisting authentication to their servers from TalkTalk's network. 

Are you able to help or escalate this with BT?

If you need me to do any other tests, please get in touch.

Thanks

Colin.

Tufty2012
Team Player

Further debug information:-

From TalkTalk:-

openssl s_client -connect mail.btinternet.com:993 -crlf

D39A5A75E5A

Start Time: 1518381102

Timeout   : 300 (sec)

Verify return code: 0 (ok)

---

* BYE disconnecting

closed

From EE Mobile:-

openssl s_client -connect mail.btinternet.com:993 -crlf

FF3CFA800E5

Start Time: 1518380810

Timeout   : 300 (sec)

Verify return code: 0 (ok)

---

* OK IMAP4 PROXY server ready

Hope this gives some clues. 

Community Team

Hi Tufty2012, the biggest problem is that not all users are affected by this. There are now several of us using test accounts on TT connections and all are working normally. I'm using an Android phone and a Macbook Pro all setup automatically and all working perfectly on each and every test. I'm wondering if it's IP based. Could you add your current IP to the private notes in your community profile.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Tufty2012
Team Player
Hi Ady, I've added my current public IP to my private notes if that helps.
Community Team

Sadly that helps even less. You're on an IP very close to mine. So not an IP range issue. Thanks for the prompt reply with the IP.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Tufty2012
Team Player

Hi Ady,

I've done a few more tests switched out my HG633 Router with firmware v1.22.1t, to a spare HG635 with v1.06t. 

I've found IMAP works with the HG635, but it was allocated a different public IP from previous.

My maximum downstream rate plummeted by 15mb/s from around 80mb/s to 65mb/s so I switched back to the HG633, IMAP stopped working again, speed was back up to 80mb/s but I got the old public IP back.

So from testing it's either an issue with specific TalkTalk subnets, or possibly an issue with the HG633 on v1.22.1t

How long would I have to leave my router off before getting a new IP? Any idea what BTs DHCP lease time is set to?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 19.19.29.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-12 at 19.12.09.png

Tufty2012
Team Player

The problem is definately IP related, not the router.

I switched the IP Routing(IP) to IP Routing(PPP), then switched it back to get a new public IP immediately. 

The new IP address from subnet 92.1.205.x works with BT IMAP

The old IP address from subnet 79.66.28.x failed with BT IMAP

I suspect BT/Yahoo may have blacklisted some TalkTalk ranges, possibly IDS/IPS causing this.

Hopefully, this helps others get to the bottom of their issue.

Thanks.

Community Team

Sadly it can't be the IP subnets because some of our testing has been done on those ranges and all worked ok. What happens if you get yourself on the 79 range change to Google DNS 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8?

Tufty2012
Team Player

I was already pointing to Google DNS, the same thing happened, whichever DNS I had pointed to, Google, OpenDNS, Quad9. mail.btinternet.com always resolved to 65.20.0.43.

Perhaps individual IPs are blacklisted..

Community Team

Ok thanks for confirming that.

Tufty2012
Team Player

You're welcome.

So the solution everyone should try is to force a new IP Address onto the router.

You can do this by switching IP Routing(IP) to IP Routing(PPP) save it, then switched it back, save it and you'll have a new public IP immediately. You might need a couple of attempts

BTInternet mail works magically for me since I did this.

It's probably caused by BT/Yahoo blacklisting certain IPs.

Community Team

I can't confirm that you're right as our testing has revealed that all IP ranges are working. We're still investigating this at present.