would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to send POP3 email

ANSWERED
23 REPLIES 23
Latimer
Popular Poster

I do not see any posts with my problem, so would appreciate any help.

I have fibre to the cabinet 40Mbit download 10 Mbit upload, and the computer connection is by ethernet, not wifi.to the router.

I am running windows10 pro, andI am using Windows Live Mail 2012 as my email client, every few days I am unable to send emails. Receiving emails works with no problems. I make no changes in the popup message which prompts me to correct my password, and after a few hours it starts working again. Sometimes restarting the router will correct the error, but this is hugely frustrating, and has been like this for a long time.  Webmail works with no problem, but I want emails stored on my computer,  Internet access is also problem free.

I am able to ping the outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net, and my email settings are all  correct..for POP3

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mike

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Latimer 

Microsoft support for Windows Live Mail ceased in 2017 which means that continuing to use it does present a security risk. 

Having said that up front, if you post your setup screenshots here using the photos (camera) icon above this reply area I'll take a look. Image edit to obscure the first part of your email address before posting. I suspect it's an authentication issue so make sure requiring network authentication is selected. Making sure the username and password is saved for the smtp outgoing server.

If the settings turn out to look good then save all wanted emails, remove the email account from WLM to clear any registry corruption and set up afresh.

Have you tried the Windows Mail app built in to Windows 10?  That's the replacement product for WLM. Or there's standalone mail products like Thunderbird that are worthy of consideration for a more secure experience but still providing the functionality of downloading emails and storing locally. 

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi Latimer, Gondola's advice is good. Please let us know how you get on. 

Latimer
Popular Poster

Gondola, thanks for your reply, I cannot follow this up until the weekend, but will do so asap

Mike

Gondola
Community Star

...no worries. Stay cool.

I'll be here some of the weekend to help support Community members. And it's usually fairly relaxed over these summer holiday weekends.

Latimer
Popular Poster

Gondola, thanks, I was aware that wlm is unsupported, but did not see an immediate alternative. It is important to me to have my emails stored locally. I tried Thunderbird some time ago, but never really felt comfortable with it. I do not think I used it for long enough to see whether it fixed the problems. All the time that WLM was working I am afraid I did not feel the pressure to move, but now I want to make the effort to resolve the sending problem if possible. I only use my laptop to access emails, so have not changed to IMAP. My wife has a separate email address, and uses an iphone and her computer still on POP3. She has the same sending problems.

She is much more organised than I am, and keeps her inbox empty, with folders for all her interests. I have  a huge inbox with 3611 messages!!. I mention all this in case it is relevant. I attach screenshots

capture1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPGCapture5.JPG

As I mentioned I use an ethernet connection, which goes through a switch to the router. I have also tried a wifi link direct to the router to see if that helps - no.

My wife's setup is separate, with the same wlm settings on win7 pro, so it would seem unlikely it is a corrupt wlm installation, but the settings may well be wrong

Regards, Mike

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mike

The settings screens all look perfect. You have a good setup and no obvious reason for it not to connect reliably to the smtp server. 

Are you a TalkTalk broadband customer, and if not, what broadband network are you connected to?  The use of network authentication should get around the issue of not having the option of STARTTLS for the outgoing server.

My personal preference on the Advanced tab would be to leave emails on the server until deleted locally but that's just a personal preference and no bearing on the performance of WLM.

I'm interested in the failure to send on your wife's email. Different devices so absolutely unrelated to your email account issue with WLM.  Is she also using WLM on her computer?  The iPhone will be using the built in email app presumably?  This doesn't always set up as expected so manual setup is recommended.

Happy to have a look at similarly redacted screenshots from the iPhone to see if there's an answer on not being able to send emails from that device.

Latimer
Popular Poster

Gondola, thanks, yes I am Talktalk broadband customer. I changed to fibre to the cabinet a little while ago in the hopes it might help, plus a different routerm but it did not.

Yes my wife is also on WLM with her own talktalk address.

I wondered about starttls but a google search threw this up:

Practically, to enable TLS on Windows Live Mail, you simply have to select “my outgoing mail server requires authentication” on your outgoing mail server settings and make sure you input the correct TLS port number (the default port is 587, but some email providers may use a different port number).

That is it! Windows Live Mail will correctly handle the TLS protocol… it’s just that the TLS protocol is not explicitly shown on the Windows Live Mail server settings interface, thus causing confusion among users.

based on that I assumed it was good, but of course you never know!!

At one time I thought it might be a heavy traffic problem, because it seemed worse at going home time, but that seems not to be the case.  I thought I might telnet the server, but at the moment I do not know the protocol I must have another go. I do not always get error messages, but it is often 'server not found' I can ping smtp.talktalk.net, but perhaps that is not the same as my email entry on the server?

By the way, my neighbour who is also a talktalk customer has similar problems, but he will keep changing his password in the popup message which says 'your password is incorrect', and then it definitely does not work.  He is not on fibre, but does use WLM..

Perhaps I should try Thunderbird for an extended period to see what happens.

Thank you for your help and input so far, It would be good to come to a solution.

Mike

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mike

Absolutely spot on with the Google search. It's why I mentioned ensuring you had network authentication selected. Which you did.

I'm sure TLS 1.2 will be pre-selected but just to make sure, In the Windows search on the taskbar, enter Internet Options and select the Internet Options from the Control Panel. You'll see the Internet Properties pop-up window.  Select the Advanced tab - scroll down and in the Security section make sure 'Use TLS 1.2' is selected. Out of the SSL / TLS options that's the only one I have selected now.

Given a choice of Microsoft or Mozilla Internet and email options, for me, it seems so much easier to use Mozilla. Just my personal preference.

Latimer
Popular Poster

Gondola, thanks again, I checked the TLS settings which were ok, and unchecked the earlier versions.  I found out the telnet protocol to check the server - telnet smtp.talktalk.net 587, but have not yet caught it when it is down.  It just returns 'server ready'

I may not have much time to do anything this week, we have 2 different visitors, and I have a doctors appointment,  I am supposed to be retired . . .

Such is life.

Mike

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mike

Just thinking around this issue and trying to see a common factor.  Are you using the same Internet security product? 

We have seen Kaspersky Internet Security scan email ports and stop secure email working. 

Latimer
Popular Poster

Gondola, no not the same, I am win10 and use windows defender, and my wife is win7 and uses security essentials.

As a forum newbie, I realise I am not hitting the 'like' button, so I have gone back and done this for your posts. I really appreciate your help and suggestions.

I think I will give Thunderbird a try on my computer to see if that makes any difference, and if I can catchit in its error state, I will try telnet to see if it tells me I am connected or not. WLM sometimes gives more detailed error messages, but not always.

Mike

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mike

I really appreciate the likes. I always aim for a solution but in this case it's remarkably elusive no doubt because I see your setup is spot on.

Always ready to pick up anytime you're not busy.

Have a great week.

Community Team

Hi Latimer, Gondola will get you sorted and likes are a great way to thank him for the support he always provides. I've given you a couple of likes for your courtesy not to appreciate that you're not yet fixed. 

Latimer
Popular Poster

Oh brilliant, I have typed a long message, and it told me I was not logged in so I have lost it all.

email sending is much worse, we have been unable to send emails for 3-4 days

Thunderbird, WLM and telnet all give bad ip reputation error

An unknown error has occurred.

Subject 'chris birthday'

Server Error: 554

Server Response: 554 cm6nec smtp.talktalk.net tE8mhcvSqgI7i Bad IP Reputation (TT101)

Server: 'smtp.talktalk.net'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC6F

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 587

Secure(SSL): Yes

What can I do as a matter of urgency??

webmail still works, but not easy to transfer messages, and addresses etc.

Mike

Latimer
Popular Poster

Gondola, whether what I have done has helped, I do not know, but I have cleared various log files, powered off the iphone, and generally cleaned up, and the email has come back to life.

I am also using Thunderbird, and will probably keep on using it. It has been a frustrating few days with no email, so will have to see how it holds up. The trouble is I did all these things without checking at each stage, as I should have done.

Mike

Community Team

Hi Latimer, did Gondola have you turn off your router for half an hour or more? That should clear your IP address and clear the bad IP issue.

Latimer
Popular Poster

Thanks, I had also read that elsewhere, and the bad IP reputation has gone away..

I have moved my email client to Thunderbird, and so far it seems more responsive, and also trouble free, so I wait with interest!!

Gondola pointed out early on that wlm was obsolete, which I did know, but all the time it sort of worked, I was putting off the effort of moving everything!!

Thank you for your ongoing support, lets hope this move will sort out my problems.

Mike

Community Team

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Community Team

Oh and Mike I've marked Gondola's post as best answer for you.