Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to send email

6 REPLIES 6
Rob Atkinson
First Timer

I don't send many emails but was able to up until about a month ago. When I try to send one now I get - rejected by the server, server response was: Hm5PjOqtL1nW2 Authentication Required (TT401). As far as I am aware , I have not changed any settings, I do admit to not being very computer literate.

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks R

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Rob Atkinson 

What device, what operating system and what email software / app are you using?

The error is either the email software not set to get network authentication to verify the sender or using a mail address not matching the sender.

Does this fail now happen on every attempted send?

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Rob Atkinson
First Timer

Hi Gondola, thanks for replying,

I am using a 2011 imac with High Sierra 10.13.6, I am using talktalk with incoming mail  server (pop) and outgoing mail server(smtp).

Yes this fails every time, pretty sure I have not changed anything,

Thanks, Rob

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Rob

We've seen this situation before in 2018 with High Sierra.  It would appear to be a glitch impacting the mail setup.

The fix is to remove the mail account and set up afresh. As you're using POP3 you'll need to make sure you've backed up all downloaded mail messages first.

I'd normally recommend setting up as an IMAP account but it's personal preference here. The Email Settings are given in the TalkTalk Mail Support Hub.

The outgoing SMTP server will use TLS/SSL on port 587 with authentication by password.

Rob Atkinson
First Timer

Hi Gondola,

The mail support hub mentions backing up mailbox, I've had a look and can't see how to do it, I don't want to delete everything by accident as I did not realy understand what it said.

It has just occurred to me that I may have looked at my emails on my phone while at work and work uses an American internet connection, could this have done something?

Thanks, Rob

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Rob

Here's the Apple Mail Support for Exporting Mailboxes.

The work connection via an US VPN (presumably) - no impact upon the issue in discussion.

Rob Atkinson
First Timer

Hi Gondola,

I will Have a go at following that.

Thanks, Rob