Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Undeliverable email

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Most of my emails to a particular recipient are not delivered and I receive this notification, which I have anonymised:

The following message to name@clara.co.uk was undeliverable.  The reason for the problem: 550 Rejecting due to poor sender reputation: 62.24.135.70

To date,  I've worked around this issue by forwarding the email that had not been delivered and this seems to work but I'd really like to know how the inconvenience can be avoided in the first place.  So, what's happening and how can the issue be prevented from ever occurring again?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @SG1957 

The error message indicates that the recipient is blocking emails because of "poor sender reputation" which usually means spam has been sent from the TalkTalk SMTP server. I've checked the TalkTalk server IP address using MX Toolbox and the IP address isn't showing as being on any of the standard blocklists.  

When you say you can get the email through by forwarding do you mean sending to another email address and then sending on from there?

Are you still using the lineone email address or another?  You'll probably get better success using webmail.

And we never did get to confirm with you the settings you had on Outlook: This topic. If you're using insecure unencrypted email settings (but don't use SPA) and or not receiving network authentication then your emails are more likely to be rejected as potential spam. The recommended settings are: Email settings - IMAP or POP3

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @Gondola 

I shall take myself off to the naughty step for leaving the other issue up in the air but I thought that all had been resolved satisfactorily.  Not sure what came first here - buying Outlook or signing up for internet access - but Mrs SG1957 and I prefer to use Outlook for mail, etc as opposed to webmail.

For this particular issue, I have been using a TT email address.  If an email to this person is rejected, I forward it from that account's sent folder to the same email address that the original was sent to.

I have now amended the account settings to the recommendations in the linked article.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi SG1957 

Interesting. Composing and sending and forwarding a previously sent email will send from the same servers. Possible that the recipient has not blocked all the TalkTalk servers.

Did you update the settings in Outlook?  Let us know if that's fixed the rejection.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Gondola,

To be frank, I don't profess to understand the concept of mail being sent from different servers.  So far as I can make out, an ISP can somehow block mail from some TT servers but not from others.  That raises further questions such as how the other ISP identifies the TT servers and why the other ISP should wish to take this action which inconveniences TT's customers.  I suspect that the convenience of TT's customers won't be on its mind so the action must be aimed against TT itself.  Accepting for the moment that some but not all TT servers are blocked by this ISP, how would I ever know if my mail to this particular person has not been delivered because it was sent from one of the blocked servers or because I've not used the recommended settings in Outlook?  As it is, I've updated the settings but haven't had need to send mail to this person since.  As you may have gathered from my previous issue concerning passwords, I tend to come here when I have need for assistance rather than when the service functions as I expect it to.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi SG1957 

There's a group of SMTP servers each with their own IP address. If one IP address is blocked by a recipient, for example the server that sends out unencrypted mail, then no mail from that server will get though.

A bounceback error message will usually be sent back from the recipient to the sending server to advise why the email has not been delivered. As has happened in this case - to give a reason for non-delivery.  However, some recipients do not send back error messages when they're blocking suspect spam.  This is to avoid alerting the spammers.

You didn't say what changes you made to the Outlook settings? If you've upgraded to secure SSL/TLS email with network authentication that will definitely help to improve sender reputation.

But the circumstances do suggest that the recipient is not accepting emails because of suspect spam.  The TalkTalk email admins do react to these error messages and identify mailboxes that are sending spam and shut them down to improve the sender reputation and get blocks lifted.

Team Player

Hi Gondola,

The changes to settings included opting for encryption and a change to the incoming port (from 110 to 995).

I'm assuming that individual customers won't know IP addresses for servers and as such these actions are initiated by the ISP.  On the other hand, if you mean that my contact is able to identify the servers that my mail is coming from, this becomes rather more worrying and indeed personal: it becomes a matter of him taking action against me. My reading of your final paragraph is that because either my contact or his ISP either suspect or have identified my mail as spam, then TT are likely to close down my account which has further implications beyond sending mail to one particular person.  It's obviously important that I know what is happening here.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi SG1957

I mentioned in post 2 in this thread that if using insecure unencrypted email settings your emails are more likely to be rejected as potential spam. 

So, it's great news that the upgrading to encrypted emails means you're less likely to get emails rejected.

And, much more importantly, that your email and password is now secure all the way from your computer to the talktalk mail server. Before, your emails could have been intercepted and read and the password obtained.

If you wish to delve deeper into what information is sent with an email then examine the email header with the View source option. In the new TalkTalk Mail, select an email, select the More actions menu (triple line hamburger icon) from the toolbar above the email view and then from the drop down list select View source.

Actions on emails - View source or header.png

I wouldn't worry about the complexity of detail. As regards spam there is a spam score. Look at most emails and you'll see X-Spam: 0 That means the email has been scored on the possibility of it being spam and, in this case, a zero spam score.

Try sending to your contact and see if the issue is resolved.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

I was sure that I had posted to say that the issue was resolved, but today two emails to the same contact from the same TT account have been rejected.  Reasons given for emails not being deliverable were as follows:

1. The reason for the problem: 550 Rejecting due to poor sender reputation: 62.24.135.67

2. The reason for the problem: 550 Rejecting due to poor sender reputation: 62.24.135.66

I'm using the recommended settings.  Whether coincidental or not, I don't know, but I have been pestered most of the day with a password prompt pop-up.  In any event, advice on how to permanently fix this issue (whilst continuing to send emails from Outlook, as I prefer) would be appreciated.  In case it is relevant, this particular contact is the only one I have with an email account @clara.co.uk.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SG1957, the email team will already be on top of this and will have blocked the offending sender IP addresses. It takes a little while to rebuild the reputation score and our email team will hav that in hand too. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi OCE_Ady,

Thanks.  I suppose that's good to know but it nevertheless frustrating when most emails to a particular person need to be sent twice. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

The team work very hard to avoid this happening blocking millions of mails per day and disabling mail accounts that have been hacked due to weak passwords and or unprotected devices being connected to the internet.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.