cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WHY SENDING RECOVERY PASSWORDS TO EMAIL THAT YOU NEED THE PASSWORD FOR????

ANSWERED
2 REPLIES 2
1157bland
First Timer

You say that you are sending 'recovery details' for a forgotten password to the actual email that you've lost the password to??? What's the point of that when you can't get into that email because you've lost the password? There isn't even anything else to divert to like another email address or to send it by text?? How stupid is this??

I even tried talking to someone online but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about??

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just received an email in my other contact address....it just says click here......guess what.....it just takes me back to the last place I was at to reset my email..............!!!!!! This is a joke!!! Is it April fools day??? Oh no, just another normal day on Talktalk...............sob.......

Yorksgal57
Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi 1157bland 

Sending a password reset link to an email mailbox is only for a routine password change when you can still access the mailbox. Same applies to a routine password change via MyAccount > My Services > Manage TalkTalk Mail when you'll need to know the existing mailbox password to change the password. 

TalkTalk Mail requires that Reset details are set up for the mailbox so that an alternative email address or mobile number receives the reset link or code.  The Reset details are for when you need to use the Forgotten your password? routine.  Please keep those Reset details up to date, particularly the alternate email address as inevitably it will be needed at some time.

If you can sign in via Webmail you have the ability to set up Reset details for a self-help password change.  Update your reset details is an option on the main menu.

Menu options - Update your reset details.png

If you'd like help in changing the password just say.

Please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es) with any relevant other notes and finally save changes. TalkTalk's Community Team OCE will then locate your registered TalkTalk details.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi 1157bland, I've sent you a personal message to obtain the information necessary to setup password recovery for you.