Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Webmail filter setting missing

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Annoyingly I receive approximately 15 spam messages everyday. So each day I log into my webmail account in an attempt to block these emails using both 'subject' and 'from' filters however frustratingly they continue every day.

Having already received 3 this morning I was about to start the process but after clicking on settings and mail I have found that the filter section is missing. Only the following are showing:

Mail Display

Mail Account Setting

Signature

Can anyone please advise me both with regards to the missing filter section and if there is anything else I can do to stop the awful spam? Otherwise I'll be forced to transfer all my mail to an alternative Gmail account which clearly has better filters and I have never received any spam. 

Many thanks. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @lucydf1

Have you tried a different browser / different device?  If the browser doesn't handle the scrolling correctly then the page will not scroll down to the Filters / Auto-forward and Auto-reply and the Save and Reset buttons at the bottom of the scrolled page.  On a device without a scroll bar at the side of frame just use the finger swipe normal touchscreen scrolling as set up on your device.

I've checked my webmail accounts and all looks normal.

Let me know if the categories are still missing when you've tried the above troubleshooting and I'll alert the OCE's to take a look at your email account.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thank you for your reply.

I normally use Safari but just tried Chrome and, despite scrolling right down, I got the same, so just the three: Mail Display, Mail Account Settings & Signatures, no Filters.

I’ve also tried on my iPhone as well as my MacBook.

Many thanks for the suggestions, Lucy
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Lucy

Just double check that you've added to your Community Profile, Personal Information (Click here) in the Private Notes area at the bottom of the page the Email address affected. Add and save changes.

This topic has been escalated for the attention of the OCE's (TalkTalk Community support team) and the email expert will respond to you right here to help you with account troubleshooting.

A tip when you do get to see the filters setup is to try to limit the number of blocked senders in the blocked senders filter and number of filters to no more than 50. The reason is that too many in the lists does tend to produce unpredictable results.

If, for example, you had twenty spam senders using the 'junkeymonkeymail4u.com' domain then instead of lots of individual blocked senders you could setup one filter blocking the entire 'junkeymonkeymail4u.com' domain. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi lucydf1, if you're reporting 15 or so per day you'll have put way more than 50 into the blocked senders list it won't be effective now. Have you reported the spam via the dealing with and avoiding spam help article.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hello

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I will have probably had in excess of 200 filters. The link relating to this on your website does not say there is a limit of 50, it says "you can create as many as you need by simply changing the keywords". In any event it didn't appear to be working as I kept getting bitcoin, PPI, etc etc spam. Will I get the filter back on my email account? 

I had reported the spam in the past but I never received any response to it and the spam emails persisted. I will try this again if you think it might work. 

Highlighted

If you remove the current filters and add only 50 they will work. It is possible to have more than 50 working, but it's very hit and miss. The new mail platform will allow you to block as many as you want or so I've been told. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks for your reply but one of the issues is that the 'Add Filter' option is missing when I go to that page. Why has it gone & is there any way it will be recovered?  I have already received 5 spam messages this morning...

What is the new mail platform, do I need to do something to get on it?

Highlighted

TalkTalk have invested in an all new email platform in order to support all our email domains on one single email system. There's a whole new look, more functionality and much better reliability with the new platform. You won't have to do anything when the migration happens you'll be moved over automatically. 

Re the missing add filter option my apologies as I had understood that's what you meant. I've tested it and I get the same result as you do. I've raised a fault ticket for you and you'll get updates by text message. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi again

I still don't have the filter setting in my mailbox & I am reporting all spam emails to spam@talktalk.co.uk. Over the last 2 weeks I have reported nearly 50 spam emails but they still keep coming which is extremely frustrating and annoying. Do you have any further advice as to what I can do to stop them? 

Thanks, Lucy 

Highlighted

Hi Lucy, there's been no update on the fault ticket yet. I've sent a chaser asking them to add updates for us. I'll post back once I have an update for you. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks for that.

I've already received 5 spam emails this morning. I am reporting each one and getting the standard notification from the Customer Security Team. Clearly some of these very unpleaseant emails are coming from the same senders so they are not being blocked by the TalkTalk security team, why is this? Surely it can't be too difficult once they have all the header information to block these horrible messages?

I'm afraid I think I'll soon be forced to switch all my mail across to gmail and abandon my tiscali address as I am finding this so frustrating and time consuming. 

Highlighted

I've checked again for you this morning and there's nothing yet. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thank you for following it up

Highlighted

You're welcome. I'm hoping it's not going to take too much longer.