Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Webmail page keeps crashing Firefox

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Team Player

I have been having trouble with the webmail page for some time now.  It has crashed nearly 30 times in the last 7 weeks, and in addition, the "refresh" icon kicks itself off frequently, and often hangs the screen for up to 20 minutes.  Is anybody else having similar issues?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Roseland 

I use Windows 10 and Firefox (76.0.1) 64 bit with TalkTalk Mail (https://apps.talktalk.co.uk/appsuite) and haven't noted any issues.

To troubleshoot, it would be worth temporarily disabling any Internet Security software because some products do hold up the access to TalkTalk Mail.

Go via the Firefox Help menu and restart with Add-ons disabled because an add-on may be causing instability.

Let us know what you find as we like to know of compatibility issues.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Team Player

So far today, it hasn't crashed, but the other behaviour, of the refresh acting on its own and hanging the screen, is still happening.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Roseland 

Under what circumstances do you get an auto-refresh?  My firefox rarely does an auto refresh to the point where I have an auto-refresh add-on to selectively auto-refresh tabs.

You can if you wish disable the auto-refresh if you wish to troubleshoot further and you're confident in changing a configuration setting.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox?

Highlighted
Team Player

I don't know that there are any particular circumstances that kick off the refresh - I just notice the circular double arrow symbol on the TalkTalk tool bar start itself circling.

Highlighted
Community Star

...that's the mailbox refresh to update the view so you can see when new mail messages have arrived. It's perfectly normal. And if you have got new messages in the Inbox then the unread message counter will increment to also let you know of new messages.

It's not Firefox doing a refresh.

Are you saying that your Firefox crashes when the webmail mailbox does its refresh?

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, it appears to be that that triggers the crash, but not every time.  And sometimes the refresh seems to work, and puts "New Mail" on the TalkTalk tab, but does not update the count or display any new e-mails - they don't appear for as much as a few hours.  That's why I think it's the TalkTalk page that's at fault, not Firefox.  

Highlighted
Community Star

...When the mailbox is refreshed there may not be any change if there's been no activity. But when the title of the browser tab changes transiently to New Mail then there will be at least one new incoming mail message. The unread count will increment and the mail message will appear in the Inbox List View within a few seconds.

There's been no delay today to the best of my knowledge. I get notifications from Community throughout the day and I can see the time of the originating message and the time of receipt and it's all in real time.

Highlighted
Team Player

And the crashing hasn't been cured, either - it's just happened again.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Roseland 

Troubleshoot by using a different browser. Chrome is the recommended alternative.

I cannot replicate what you're experiencing so it's a case of trying to identify the root cause.

Highlighted
Team Player

I did try Opera, but got a message that it wasn't supported.

Highlighted
Community Star

...the message is correct.