Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

When can email be setup

19 REPLIES 19
dmarmot
Team Player

I have a broadband order, due to go live in just over a week.

At what point can I setup a mailbox?

I tried a couple of days ago, and it said it was added, but it doesn't appear in manage talktalk mail, and I can't login to it at https://apps.talktalk.co.uk/appsuite/

Trying to add another one today it just says an error occurred, try again.

I'd like to set it up prior to switch from my old isp, in order to ensure no loss of email during the switchover.

Is it possible to setup mailboxes prior to the go live date? (If not why do the my account pages allow you to try?)

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dmarmot 

In theory you should be able to create a new TalkTalk Mail mailbox from your MyAccount... however, there is an issue for some customers in that the mailbox doesn't get created.  There is a fix that's been tested but not yet deployed so what I'll do is alert the TalkTalk team for you.

Check your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, allocated TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to your proposed TalkTalk service account.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

dmarmot
Team Player

Thanks, I've updated my profile.

Community Team

Hi dmarmot, if you can login to MyAccount you should be able to create an email account however as Gondola says we have an open incident related to creating email at the moment. It should be cleared this weekend that's a should not a promise as there are many variables that may cause the updates to be delayed. Please let us know how you get on after the weekend.

dmarmot
Team Player

It still doesn't work.

It seems a bit unbelievable that it's impossible to setup email on a brand new account.

Community Team

We believed the fix had been implemented. It seems that it wasn't so I'm looking into what might have happened and I'll let you know. 

dmarmot
Team Player

Looking at network requests in firefox when I click on the create button it calls

https://online.api.talktalkgroup.com/api/v1/customer/email

Which returns a 403 (Forbidden) error code (and displays 'Sorry something went wrong. Please try again' on the web page)

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dmarmot 

Can you sign in to MyAccount?  And when there select My Services from the grey header bar and then Manage TalkTalk Mail from the drop-down list.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - Create a mailbox.png

Selecting Create a mailbox should then show up a pop-up window:

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - Create a new mailbox.png

None of that should get a redirect to the talktalkgroup website so that's a mystery.

dmarmot
Team Player

Yes, that's exactly what I see when trying to create a mailbox - it's when I click on the Create button of the dialog box that the api call is made (looks like a JSON call from javascript on the page, not a redirect to that page), the result of which is that the 'Something went wrong' message appears at the top of the dialog boxttmail.PNG

Gondola
Community Star

...Ah, the final Create button.  I didn't click on that one.  But I have now.

And yes there are the two calls to talktalkgroup.com

https://online.api.talktalkgroup.com/api/v1/customer/email

78.151.0.241:443

Your one failed (403) on the second call. Mine went straight through and created a new mailbox for me. Added immediately to the MyAccount list and a successful green banner displayed.

However, it's not yet signing in to TalkTalk Mail so I'll give that some time and report back.

I see you have Adblock active.  Have you tried disabling Adblock just in case that's affecting the creation?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi dmarmot 

It took some time to be able to sign in to the TalkTalk Mail user interface to the new mailbox created today but it's there and working. 

The only limitation is that, just like the previous mailbox created, there's no ability to mark incoming messages as spam. I understand from OCE_Ady who advised me today that this is a MyAccount setup feature that's missing and will be put right when the MyAccount update is rolled out. 

If the team can figure out why you got the 403 error on the second call to the talktalkgroup server I'm sure the issue will be sorted for you.  The creation is essentially functional even if missing some element(s). 

But it sure surprised me that the creation of new mailboxes is being handled by the talktalkgroup server.  I learn something new each day.

dmarmot
Team Player

Yes, I tried with adblock off, also on chrome and edge in case it was browser specific. Same result in all cases

Gondola
Community Star

...I've also alerted OCE_Ady to your findings.  Great diagostics by the way. I'm sure that'll help the back-office team figure out what's wrong. 

Community Team

Hi dmarmot, I've had another look at this and it seems we've got to wait for your line to go live and the order to complete. Once it has if you're still having problems then I can help sort it.

dmarmot
Team Player

OK, so the answer to my original question is you can't setup mailboxes until the account goes live? (Or are you saying you don't know what's wrong and can't help until the account is live?)

If it's the case that mailboxes can't be created before a go live, it's a pity the web page can't just give that information rather than 'Sorry, something went wrong' - will this get passed on to the developers to ensure it doesn't confuse others in the future?

(As a software developer myself I'm somewhat aghast that this got through even a minimal testing regime).

dmarmot
Team Player

My phone line and iternet connection has now been switched to talktalk.

I still can't create a mailbox (same error as before)

Help!

dmarmot
Team Player

I've finally been able to create mailboxes - so it seems like the correct answer to my original question is you can't create mailboxes until a day after the account (internet connection rather than my account login) has gone live.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi dmarmot 

Nice to know you're there in the end.

It would be great if we had a flowchart to understand the new MyAccount process and what the authorisation stages are.

I'm sure we didn't have to wait for the day after go-live. Interesting to see what Ady can confirm...

Community Team

Hi dmarmot, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Community Team

Hi Concerned User, you're having a similar but different problem. Please start a new thread so that I can have you added to the incident we're raising.