cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Windows Live Mail and dsl.pipex.com email not friends any more.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
First Timer

Hello, first post be gentle !

I have a @talktalk.net email andmy wife has  my.wife@dsl.pipex.com.

Both using Windows Live Mail.

Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and it may be a coincidence but email on the dsl.pipex.com stopped working. Just spent hours on the phone and web chat to people who didnt really know what I was talking about.

Subsequently after reading various forums I found the Talktalk Business webmail page and managed to logon there ok. I also tried Windows Mail, and only had to put in email address and password and it connected, fantastic, but no history of course.

Could someone list out in detail the settings needed ?, I have tried the settings on the support page, the ports seem quite different to what used to be there (25 and 110) and also the smtp server used to be smtpauth. Anyway I cannot make any combination work and its getting irritating !!

Also I had set up many years ago a my.wife@talktalk.net address to replace the dsl.pipex.com one in case it was phased out !! but cannot find the password, I try to reset/remind  but I'm not getting any emails in response.

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Jack_Spratt

I'll speak about the pipex mail settings and then go to the talktalk password recovery.

Good that you can sign in to the pipex netmail. You've confirmed that the password is good.

The no history is because all pipex mail messages were downloaded to Windows Live Mail and deleted from the server. That's just the way that a POP3 mail account works with default settings.  Port 110 for incoming messages and Port 25 for sending messages is also the default unencrypted (insecure) setting and is not recommended.

You've got some options to consider.  Windows Live Mail does have limitations and is not supported by Microsoft.  The replacement is Windows Mail. That software has probably configured itself as an IMAP account using port 993 for incoming messages and Port 587 for sending messages with outgoing authentication and SSL encryption on. e.g. as the image below:

Windows10 Mail Settings dsl pipex.png

By using IMAP you can use multiple devices to connect to the mailbox and not just download to the one device.

The forgot password reset for the talktalk.net mailbox does depend on having set up an alternate email address that you still have access to.

Please try the Reset your Password option. If there's an alternate email address shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please reset the password.

If the self-help password change / recovery option isn't effective then I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the talktalk.net email address to Private notes and Save changes.

Heads up that there's planned maintenance in progress until 7am on 6 October so try the password reset when the maintenance is concluded.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
First Timer

Many thanks for your help there.

I cannot get WLM to work now for my wife, it will download headers but not the entire message, google suggests its gone corrupt.

I have installed eM client, it looks and feels a bit like WLM.

It used the recommended ports, when I selected force use of legacy ports !

I have imported old emails and contacts, and need to sort out the folders etc

Keep getting an overquota message on inbox ?

Also I need help changing the password on my.wife@talktalk.net, the reset goes to a talktalk email but not mine !.

Many thanks again, I'd be stuck without you !

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Jack_Spratt 

If the TalkTalk.net password reset goes to an alternative email address that's not yours then you'll definitely need the TalkTalk team to help you secure the email account and properly set up Reset details.

As for the pipex mailbox - an overquota message means that the mailbox is full and messages will need to be deleted in order for it to resume working correctly. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jack_Spratt, I'm happy to see you've got the pipex mailbox working in the client again. I've sent you a personal message to get your recovery details reset back to your own. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.