Need help?

Yet Another Pipex POP Issue Discussion

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

@OCE_Ady 

Hi Ady,

Yes, sorry to say still getting the time outs, it was very bad last night though (Tuesday) between 2000Hrs and 2130Hrs that led me to believe the pop server had actually crashed, but nothing reported under Service Status and on checking Webmail that worked, but was slow.

I know @Muddymedic is experiencing similar and guess others are too but probably not now bothering to report. I've noticed a general worsening for about 7 to 10 days now but that was just "delays" before the messages arrived, this weekend was when I saw the odd error creep in and it appears to have gone down hill from that.

The same has also been happening on my iPhone when out and about which uses the cellular carrier service to connect so that appears to rule out anything to do with my WiFi (Router) and BT lines (just incase the tech guys try and throw this back at the user).

Would appreciate if you can follow this up and find out what the tech boys are playing at, as I've said in the other discussion it's all getting a little tiresome now.

Thanks in advance.

ps. This is one of @Muddymedic  posts.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Are-Pipex-email-users-failing-to-receive-incoming-...

Highlighted
Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor

Good morning

Pipex on POP was essentially unusable from mid- to late-evening on Tuesday, and I gave up at just before 2200.  Webmail was working, but sluggish to load on both Windows and Android.  I have only just logged onto my POP account, and all seems well, with no further time-outs and other error messages thus far.  Webmail is fine on both Windows and Android.too this morning.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

Same for me, now getting messages without errors but still notice a slight delay (0800Hrs to now), I'm going out now but hopefully @OCE_Ady will come back when he gets time with an update and confirmation it's fixed.

Highlighted
Pianist2
Chat Champion

Yes, I had problems yesterday (Tuesday) evening as well attempting to download emails onto my iPad. Gave up in the end. So far everything seems normal this morning.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

I’m currently out and about, although no errors there are times the Mail app on my iPhone just “hangs”, still get the messages on re-try though - things are definitely not right at the moment.

Highlighted
stevesurrey
Enlightened One

I have been experiencing the usual PIPEX problems since Friday. At most attempts to download messages from server at least one of my 3 email addresses were failing (not the same address each time). This got worse during Tuesday with 2 or even 3 of the addresses failing at each attempt by the evening. I wasnt around to get emails this morning so cant comment, but this afternoon it has been better with servers responding for all 3 addresses albeit a bit sluggishly.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Was still sluggish for me Wednesday afternoon and evening but thankfully no errors, this morning (Thursday - 0845Hrs) it appears back up to speed, will wait to see what happens through the rest of the day before jumping with joy.

@OCE_Ady  Was wondering if you had any news as to why things have gone a little "off track" again, having repeated issues is one thing but not knowing as to why just seems to rub it in.

Highlighted
stevesurrey
Enlightened One

Was working OKish this morning but gotten very bad again this afternoon. Many password requests and server timeouts.

Highlighted
Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor

Hi  As I've observed on YET another 'new' topic on this issue that was opened earlier this afternoon, I've been getting repeated errors again today on POP and frequent failures to log onto Webmail.  Reliability has been poor for a couple of weeks now.  I was getting 'used' to the weekend outages (usually starting on Friday afternoon), but they're now striking on any (indeed most) days now.

We really deserve a defnitive explanation for all this, preferably with a solution, so that we can have a usable email service.  @OCE_Ady, could you please press your email 'ninjas' on all this?  A lot of us are having to expend a lot of time in reporting on this issue on an almost daily basis, but don't seem to be getting much back in return.  Something is broken here, and we need to be told what it is, and what is being done about it.

Thank you.

Regards 

Highlighted
RockandRoll
Conversation Starter

Hi, yes Pipex has been getting worse over the last few days, seems to be totally failed at present (7pm). Fingers crossed they can get things sorted as they did last year when we had a major Pipex outage.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

I appear to have been lucky today, fast this morning, slower in the afternnoon and early evening, but no time-outs or errors. I've confirmed this back to @OCE_Ady but drew his attention to the fact others are not as fortunate (see link below).

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/More-Pipex-timeouts/m-p/2322718#M110279

He did confirm that the "switch over" is not the cause of this recent bad patch and that he will push to get an answer (think that was in yet another discussion).

Just before posting this I opened macOS Mail and got one message, it took about 15 seconds before it arrived in my Inbox, usually it takes 1 or 2 seconds on a good day.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

@OCE_Ady  As stated in the other discussion I spoke too soon regarding the lack of errors, from 1930Hrs (Thursday) they started again.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/More-Pipex-timeouts/m-p/2322749#M110286

It usually took around 20 seconds or so but the client then flagged up the error message stating either user name or password was unrecognised, later at about 2130Hrs my client would open with the error already showing - it's as though the server has completly packed up!

Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 21.39.19.png

Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 21.39.38.png

I've taken screen shots of the errors showing on my iMac that you may wish to pass on to whoever is trying to resolve this issue, note I see same on my iDevices.

Highlighted
nw1806
Chat Champion

Just to add another voice, yes, usual problems are back yet again, you'ld think they would know what it is by now.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Well, I've just woke and tried again with no issues at all, admitingly it's 0400Hrs (friday) but tried half a dozen times over the last few minutes by opening and closing the client and each time it was really fast to check with no hint of an error.

Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 04.03.22.png

I'm not sure what's going on but it's either been fixed (suppose that will become obvious later today) or the issue is either timing or capacity related.

@OCE_Ady  please try and find out what is going on.

Highlighted
RockandRoll
Conversation Starter

Just to confirm working fine at 5am, BUT this is the normal issue where as system resources get loaded the service gets slower and then (as last night) totally stops. Time will tell if this has been fixed but have yet to see any official reply that this fault has even been recognised.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

...and still ok at 0700Hrs, agree fully with your comments and it's interesting that while all this was  ongoing yesterday Service Status had green ticks across the board. Mind you that appears common practice because I've noticed that Apple does similar, it seems an issue has to get that bad and obvious to everyone before it's finally acknowledged and reflected under the Service Status section.

Sign of the times maybe, in that no one nowadays will hold their hands up to an issue or mistake unless forced!

Highlighted
Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor

Fingers crossed (as it's a Friday...so stand by!) but all seems to be working well this morning.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Yes, still ok for me at 1000Hrs, feels like I'm giving a running commentary which we really shouldn't have to be doing in this day and age for a process so basic as email!

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi all, the email admins identified and blocked multiple connections coming in from Ukraine. Those have been blocked now and should have freed up the connections again. 

Highlighted
RockandRoll
Conversation Starter
Just back home, been out all day. Looks like this Pipex email issue is now resolved 🙂